Eiyuu to Kenja no Tensei Kon ~Katsute no Koutekishu to Kon'yakushite Saikyou Fuufu ni Narimashita~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - The princess challenges The Hero…

Dex-chan lover
Hi everybody, and welcome to the War of Linguistic Descriptivists vs. Prescriptivists. Also there's some manga discussion in here if you look hard enough.
It's not actually descriptivist versus prescriptivist, but crypto-prescriptivist versus prescriptivist. The way that so many people prescribe while pretending to oppose prescriptivism is a recurring absurdity, and can also be found outside of linguistic conflict. A real descriptivist has no objection to prescriptivism as such, and an open prescriptivist has no objection to real descriptivism.

For the language debate going here,
all i want to say is:
1. Language = Means to an end. You understand the speaker. its job is done
2. Language can be formal and informal. Formal language are generally constructed to be rigid used for records and such. So that if we need it down the line, in future; you can use the rules for that time to decode the true meaning. So its objectively bland and non-personal.
Informal is natural, and no matter what a pent up, stuck up linguist says is fluid. It is the soul of a "language", what gives each speaker a distinctive flavor and personality. So if it follows rule 1, it is fine.
3. This is a fuckin manga translations. i doubt it will be a point of academic and political research. So, i dont think its formal and needs to follow the "correct" rules. Just readers understanding what it says is enough.

I rest my case

Dex-chan lover
My problem is incompetent folk jumping-in to fuck things up when I try to help-out translators, and then belligerent ignoramuses getting work-up at anyone caring about stuff that they don't know.
Nah, your problem is you are an asshole

Dex-chan lover
Uh oh, as usual 2/3 of the chapter only used to flirting...
The important part always dumped to the next chapter, but even then in the next chapter 2/3 of it will just be used to flirt again..😮‍💨

Dex-chan lover
For the language debate going here,
all i want to say is:
1. Language = Means to an end. You understand the speaker. its job is done
2. Language can be formal and informal. Formal language are generally constructed to be rigid used for records and such. So that if we need it down the line, in future; you can use the rules for that time to decode the true meaning. So its objectively bland and non-personal.
Informal is natural, and no matter what a pent up, stuck up linguist says is fluid. It is the soul of a "language", what gives each speaker a distinctive flavor and personality. So if it follows rule 1, it is fine.
3. This is a fuckin manga translations. i doubt it will be a point of academic and political research. So, i dont think its formal and needs to follow the "correct" rules. Just readers understanding what it says is enough.

I rest my case
Your case fails, because the purpose of language isn't to communicate just the thought at hand, but thoughts that will follow it over years to come. What merely suffices to communicate the thought at hand can undermine our ability to communicate other thoughts later. The folk who argue for care are rarely thoughtless traditionalists, and far more often people who want the tools of communication to be as effective as possible.

Moreover, a large share of manga translators are trying to hone their skills, which is the only reason that most of us who point-out errors bother to do so. It's not fun, and made even worse by those who want either the language of Humpty-Dumpty or the authority of the herd.

Dex-chan lover
3. Do not trust the English that you find in translations by non-native speakers. Many bad practices are being propagated because of imitation.

Really? From what I can tell, many of the translations made from English native speakers tend to be riddled of grammatical and spelling errors (their, they're, there and shudder theyr, to make an example, "should of been" to make another one).
Translations from non-native speakers, on the other hand, are either quite well polished or mangled to the point of being nearly unreadable...

Dex-chan lover
@Oeconomist Thanks for your comments about my essay, I've gone back and made a few changes to fix some of the things you pointed out.

If your understanding of English were up to par
You appear not to know what “evident” means.
Please stop talking down to me. I do my best to remain polite.

Rules becoming older is not conterminous with rules becoming outmoded. Very few people, rather than many, follow outmoded rules.
Yeah, you're right that there's a difference between a rule becoming old and a rule becoming outdated. For example, the rule "sentences about the past should put the verb in past tense" is very old, dating back all the way to the beginning of the English language and even before, but it's no less true today than it was a thousand years ago. Meanwhile some other rules, such as "use the pronouns thou/thee when referring to a single person that you're talking to" have fallen by the wayside.

Who decides which rules become out-of-date and which remain relevant? It's the users of the English language, those who write and speak and communicate in English. It's not the people who write the dictionaries and the style guides - they only document and reflect the opinions of what the community considers correct.

What share of the use that you identify was by the native speakers to whom you point for authority?
Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to filter results on Google Ngram to limit to only works written by native English speakers. I don't think it matters though. Most of the time, if people read a book, they're not usually thinking about whether the author is a native English speaker - they pick up on new words, grammar patterns from them all the same. Also, people expect the English found in books to be correct, and will generally consider text found in books to be correct English, so I think the collection of text from books that Google Ngram uses works as a measure on what people would consider to be correct.

Which doesn't make their use proper.
The word "proper" can have different meanings when used in different contexts or by different speakers. Some may use it simply to mean "correct". But in other cases, it seems to be referring more to "proper" in the sense of the phrase "proper English" - the higher-register form of the English language, used most in more formal contexts and books. (Though many books that are less "high literature" will often use more casual forms and expressions that people might not consider "proper".) I think that most people would agree that what sounds natural might not be "proper", but I stand by my assertion that what sounds natural is what is correct.

Dex-chan lover
Really? From what I can tell, many of the translations made from English native speakers tend to be riddled of grammatical and spelling errors (their, they're, there and shudder theyr, to make an example, "should of been" to make another one).
Translations from non-native speakers, on the other hand, are either quite well polished or mangled to the point of being nearly unreadable...
YMMV, as they say. I have seen many of constructions very alien to the practices of native speakers become fashionable in scanlations.

Dex-chan lover
I do my best to remain polite.
No, your first reaction, before any comment, was to deliver a community strike.
I've gone back and made a few changes to fix some of the things you pointed out.
So you're falsifying the history of discussion, and I'm supposed to read the revision and start over. Not gonna happen.
For example, the rule "sentences about the past should put the verb in past tense" is very old, dating back all the way to the beginning of the English language and even before, but it's no less true today than it was a thousand years ago.
You need to read about a construction called “the historic[al] present tense”. What you blithely call a rule isn't quite, and never has been.
other rules, such as "use the pronouns thou/thee when referring to a single person that you're talking to"
That's not quite right either. The forms “thou”, “thy”/“thine”, and “thee” were familiar. Using them with a person of notably high social standing would have had unpleasant consequences.
Please stop talking down to me.
Then please stop pretending to a insightfulness and competence that you don't have.
Who decides which rules become out-of-date and which remain relevant? It's the users of the English language, those who write and speak and communicate in English.
That claim is, at best, misleading, depending on how one interprets it in the absence of logical quantifiers.
It's not the people who write the dictionaries and the style guides - they only document and reflect the opinions of what the community considers correct.
That view is uninformed. Lexicographers often push some prescriptive agenda; recent, perverse illustrations were provided by Merriam-Webster. While dictionaries such as the OED simply try to report observed use in work printed in the British isles, dictionaries have more typically looked to the use of a narrower class of writers. The AHD has been quite explicit about that practice; others haven't felt a need to explain what they were doing, even as they did it. No handbook of style simply reports common practice, though linguistic studies try to do so.
I don't think there's a way to filter results on Google Ngram to limit to only works written by native English speakers.
There isn't.
I don't think it matters though.
It matters on your prior assumption that the common practices of native speaker are the determinant of proper use.
Most of the time, if people read a book, they're not usually thinking about whether the author is a native English speaker - they pick up on new words, grammar patterns from them all the same.
Not quite. If an Anglophone reads of a tourist or immigrant using an expression, the Anglophone doesn't typically take that to be acceptable practice. And, no, the Ngram viewer isn't going to help you with that problem, either.
The word "proper" can have different meanings when used in different contexts or by different speakers. Some may use it simply to mean "correct". But in other cases, it seems to be referring more to "proper" in the sense of the phrase "proper English" - the higher-register form of the English language, used most in more formal contexts and books. (Though many books that are less "high literature" will often use more casual forms and expressions that people might not consider "proper".)
You could have made that point with far less verbosity. In any case, you are raising a point about style, and I've already said that I didn't want to burden the scanlators with issues merely of style.
I stand by my assertion that what sounds natural is what is correct.
As I noted
people who blithely assume that they just picked-up proper use by social osmosis are especially prone to error. In your case, you immunize your belief, insisting that any person or reference that disagrees with you is mistaken.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
YMMV, as they say. I have seen many of constructions very alien to the practices of native speakers become fashionable in scanlations.
I know how you feel: I saw "anyhow" replacing "anyway" , and people pronouncing it "anywho" ...

Dex-chan lover
No, your first reaction, before any comment, was to deliver a community strike.
To clarify for anyone else reading, this refers to me adding a "strike" reaction to his initial comment. I didn't try to report Oeconomist's comment or get it taken down.

So you're falsifying the history of discussion, and I'm supposed to read the revision and start over. Not gonna happen.
I've added the original version of my comment below now, to preserve a record. I've also highlighted what I changed in green so you don't have to read the entire essay again.

It matters on your prior assumption that the common practices of native speaker are the determinant of proper use.
Perhaps I should revise my use of the word "native", and replace it with "proficient" instead then. After all, it's undeniable that non-native speakers of English can have a huge impact on the language, whether it be through loanwords or new turns of phrase.

That view is uninformed. Lexicographers often push some prescriptive agenda; recent, perverse illustrations were provided by Merriam-Webster. While dictionaries such as the OED simply try to report observed use in work printed in the British isles, dictionaries have more typically looked to the use of a narrower class of writers. The AHD has been quite explicit about that practice; others haven't felt a need to explain what they were doing, even as they did it. No handbook of style simply reports common practice, though linguistic studies try to do so.
Good point, most dictionaries don't document all usage, and aim to cover the "proper", higher, registers of English more than the casual, informal English that most people use in their day-to-day life. So when the Longman dictionary discourages a certain usage, it is for those who aim to write in "proper English", rather than those who want to use the word or phrase in the same way that others would.

people who blithely assume that they just picked-up proper use by social osmosis are especially prone to error.
At first I thought this was ridiculous (don't all second-language teachers recommend speaking with native speakers to get better at the language?), but now I realise that you mean "proper" in the sense of "proper English" here too. In that case, I think it's quite reasonable to expect that someone who only uses English in casual contexts (like most conversations) wouldn't be as accurate or familiar when using a higher register of English.

In any case, you are raising a point about style
Yes, that's right. The point of the paragraph that you were quoting from is that "proper English" is just one of many styles of English, and that something not being "proper" doesn't mean that it isn't correct. Indeed, if you had said that "recommend me a book" was improper, rather than incorrect, I'd be inclined to agree with you given the evidence (that one dictionary entry) you provided.
and I've already said that I didn't want to burden the scanlators with issues merely of style.
If you don't want to burden the scanlators with issues of style, then why do you propose a change that differs not in being more correct, but merely in being in the style of proper English?

Dex-chan lover
If you don't want to burden the scanlators with issues of style, then why do you propose a change that differs not in being more correct, but merely in being in the style of proper English?
Your question willfully misinterprets my use of “proper”, which I have explained clearly, with a different use. And that willful misinterpretation is to sophistically beg the question. My concern was exactly for correct use of the verb “recommend”, which you don't know because you blithely assume that you just picked-up proper use by social osmosis.
Perhaps I should revise my use of the word "native", and replace it with "proficient" instead then.
That begs a different question. Nothing is learned from the idea that proficient people are proficient. I return to my question:
What share of the use that you identify was by the native speakers to whom you point for authority?
and, in the face of your revision, ask What share of the use that you identify was by proficient speakers or writers? What you implicitly claim to be evidence is no such thing. What you explicitly claimed to be evident is no such thing.

Last edited:
Your question willfully misinterprets my use of “proper”, which I have explained clearly, with a different use. And that willful misinterpretation is to sophistically beg the question. My concern was exactly for correct use of the verb “recommend”, which you don't know because you blithely assume that you just picked-up proper use by social osmosis.

That begs a different question. Nothing is learned from the idea that proficient people are proficient.

That begs a different question. Nothing is learned from the idea that proficient people are proficient.
After reading everything you've said, I honestly think you're just trying to agitate people here. It's no longer about language and writing for you. Everyone who's spoken here is perfectly understandable but they all use language in different ways. Why continue to be nitpicky on a forum about a romance fantasy manga to this extent? Aren't you also here to enjoy the manga? Also, without "non-native speakers", you wouldn't be able to read this manga in English...

Also, as a side note, I think your use of the English language will become far more outdated than anyone else's because of your excessive use of the thesaurus in some of your posts. It's better to write in a straightforward manner as it gets your point across better without seeming pretentious.

I'm sure you'll respond to this with your extravagant words. If I've made any mistakes in my writing, oh please do forgive my lack of eloquence, your majesty. (I got a bit salty at the end)

Dex-chan lover
Your question willfully misinterprets my use of “proper”, which I have explained clearly
Sorry I misinterpreted what you meant by "proper", please disregard everything past the fourth paragraph in my last comment. From now on I'll assume you use it interchangeably with "correct". If instead you use it to mean some other, third thing, please clarify what it is exactly you mean when you use the word "proper".

Not exactly. Replacing "native" with "proficient" yields (I'm using your summary of the point I was making here, which I think is accurate once you replace "proper" with "correct") "the common practice of proficient speakers are the determinant of correct use". That's not a tautology - for example, it implies that it isn't dictionaries or style guides that determine correct use.

people who blithely assume that they just picked-up proper use by social osmosis are especially prone to error.
Let me readdress this point then, under the interpretation that "proper use" means "correct use". As I alluded to in my previous comment, I think this is ridiculous.
When adults learn a second language, one extremely common piece of advice that practically all teachers will give is to immerse yourself in the language. Another, similar, piece of advice commonly give is to talk to natives. They give this advice because it works - if you compare two learners, one who meticulously studies all the textbooks and one who "socially osmoses" and immerses themselves in the language, using it to communicate with native speakers, the second is all but guaranteed to have a better grasp of the language.

My concern was exactly for correct use of the verb “recommend”, which you don't know because you blithely assume that you just picked-up proper use by social osmosis.
My initial judgement of the usage of "recommend" was based on nothing but whether it "sounded right" to me. However, please note the way I phrased my comment:
I'm pretty sure the fourth example is fine??
  • I only claim to be "pretty sure" about my judgement, I do not claim to know whether it is correct usage or not.
  • The two question marks on the end also serve to express doubt and uncertainty about my statement.
  • The usage of question marks on a sentence that isn't a question also marks it as being informal, which further shows that I'm not claiming to be an authority on the matter.
All in all, this shows that my comment was made with awareness that I could be wrong about the matter. It was only after my second comment, where I had done some amount of research where I solidified my stance on the matter.

What share of the use that you identify was by proficient speakers or writers?
This is basically impossible to answer, not least because we haven't even clarified what it means to be a proficient speaker. Actually, I stumbled upon another thread here https://english.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/8015/how-reliable-is-google-ngram about the reliability of the data, though they have different concerns to yours.
Despite being a compilation of millions of books, Google Ngram still only counts as a single source. So I decided to do some more research. I searched "recommend to me" vs "recommend me" on Google and looked at the first 20 results.

1) https://www.italki.com/en/post/question-465194 (2019)
The question poster gives an answer that they found elsewhere on the internet, which states that "recommend me" is "Incorrect (although I use it in speech)". In the posted answers, one person says it is "not wrong at all to use it, but it sounds a little unnatural". Another person says "both "to recommend me something" and to recommend something to me" are correct".

2) https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/recommend-to-me.584096/ (2007)
Opinions are split on the matter. They conclude that "recommend me" is wrong, but starting from 2008 onwards there are many people who say that they hear native speakers use "recommend me". Some others say they find it sounds odd.

3) https://englishforstudents.quora.com/Recommend-me-or-recommend-to-me-Which-one-is-the-correct (2020)
One of the answers posted here links to a post that states that placing the direct object immediately after the main verb is incorrect.

4) (2020)
One comment states that "recommend me a book" is correct. A reply to this comment says that it's incorrect.

5) https://grammarhow.com/recommend-me-vs-recommend-to-me/ (No date given)
This source states that "recommend me a book" is correct, while "recommend a book to me" is incorrect.

6) https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-d...commended-to-me-kindly-explain-and-correct-me (2021)
Does not say anything about "recommend me" in the sense we're talking about.

7) https://textranch.com/c/recommend-me-or-recommend-to-me/ (No date given)
This says that "recommend to me" has more results than "recommend me" when searched on the web.

8) https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/pedants_corner/4701711-recommend-me (2022)
I count 3 people who say "recommend me" is okay, and 3 who don't like it.

9) https://englishnotes.com/recommend-me-or-recommend-to-me-which-one-is-appropriate/ (2021)
The given answer says that "recommend me" is preferrable to "recommend to me".

10) https://forum.english.best/t/recommend-me-vs-recommend-to-me/21724 (2009)
The OP thinks that "recommend me" is wrong. Another person says that it is okay, and the last post says that they know someone else who says that it sounds fine to them, though they wouldn't say it themselves.

11) https://hinative.com/questions/22150623 (2022)
This is about "recommend me" followed by a verb, so it's not the sense we're talking about.

12) https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst86272_recommend-to-you-recommend-you-recommend.aspx (2015)
People agree that "What restaurant do you recommend me?" sounds wrong. This is a question where the elements of the sentence are in a different order though.

13) https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/74420/do-you-recommend-to-me (2015)
Does not say anything about "recommend me" in the sense we're talking about.

14) https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=88483 (2004)
The OP says that "recommend me" is wrong.

15) https://ru.hinative.com/questions/15851800 (2020)
The accepted answer lists "recommend me" as an example of correct usage.

16) https://www.harmonycentral.com/forums/topic/304013-recommend-me-better-grammar/ (2006)
The OP complains about the usage of "recommend me", which they percieve to be wrong. Somebody else says that the "to" is often omitted in spoken communication.

17) https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...-me-a-good-lawyer-a-good-lawyer-to-me.223239/ (2015)
One of the replies says that "recommend me" is OK. Another reply says that they think most Americans aren't comfortable with "recommend me".

18) https://forum.thefreedictionary.com...recommend--to--me-a-good-karate-teacher-.aspx (2016)
The OP says that some people consider "recommend me" to be good, while others (including themself) find it strange. One reply says it's wrong, while another commenter says it's dubious, but is slowly becoming acceptable.

19) https://www.guitarscanada.com/threads/can-we-ban-the-phrase-recommend-me-from-the-forum.78232/ (2016)
The OP complains about the use of "recommend me". Some commenters agree, while others make fun of the pedantry. The thread turns into a place where people complain about grammar.

20) https://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?forumtitles=1&tranword=recommend (No date given)
This is just a list of links, not relevant.

We see that there are roughly equal numbers of people who consider "recommend me" acceptable or unacceptable, and that there appears to be a trend where fewer people find it acceptable when you go further in the past, while more people find it acceptable in times closer to now.

To conclude, there are plenty of people who think "recommend me" sounds natural, and there is certainly enough evidence to consider it to be in common usage.

Curious where we'll end up with more time shenanigans mixed in. Tends to muddy things up a bit.

As to the language discussion.
Wow, an actual grammar-nazi, been a while since I've seen one of those. Truly a rare breed. Keep up the good fight!

Nope. You're simply one of the aforementioned belligerent ignoramuses.
Wah, everyone but me is a stupid idiot!

I hope you  do realize the point of grammar and word choice is to convey meaning and be understood. If there's a non-insignificant number of people who call you out, then maybe it's you who's made errors and needs to reconsider. I really hope you realize the irony of you choosing to use "ignoramus" in your own blind self-gratification of your ego.

Three Points:

1. Always set-off vocatives with punctuation (typically a comma). Not just sometimes; always.

2. The verb “recommend” does not take an inner and outer accusative.
  • “recommend a book to me” ← correct
  • “recommend to me a book” ← correct but unusual
  • “to me recommend a book” ← correct but unusual
  • “recommend me a book” ← incorrect
3. Do not trust the English that you find in translations by non-native speakers. Many bad practices are being propagated because of imitation.

[Edited to provide a link, after mistaken responses by other commentators.]
It may be useful to highlight which mistake you are referring to. The chapter is filled with awkward phrasing and grammar issues. It may also be helpful to cut out jargon. I don't think non-native English speakers would know what "vocatives" and "inner/outer accusatives" are.

Users who are viewing this thread