Elf Dorei to Kizuku Dungeon Harem - Isekai de Netotte Nakama o Fuyashimasu - Vol. 1 Ch. 1.1

Dex-chan lover
Manga: Introduces Isekai, then immediately declares upfront that it will not be used.
Chekhov's gun: Touché?

Dex-chan lover
Story's heading in that kind fo direction just because of the lifestyle chosen by the MC, but in what appears to be a Human-supremacist country, he'll probably wind up doing OP things sooner or later.

Dex-chan lover
We're talking about different things. You're looking at the perspective of why the writer shapes the plot that way. I'm looking at a few steps before that to why the author doesn't have an issue selecting that plot device in the first place. It's important to understand why happy slave harem stories are considered acceptable in manga when you would never be able to do anything close to this in a western story without significant backlash. And it's not like it's "PC culture" or anything silly like that. It's mostly because the two places have significantly different histories, familiarities, and responses to the concept that shapes their reactions.

Because let's be honest: There are a bajillion ways that some generic isekai'd loser protagonist could get a harem of sexy devoted ladies that wouldn't depend on using literal slavery. If there's an entire cottage industry for first person manga where the key to getting a hot, devoted girl after you is to simply not be an utter bastard, there's room to have a guy get a harem that doesn't involve enslaving people that wouldn't be any more difficult to use and would have the audience overlook its shallowness. It's just that this is a trope that does get used and that makes it appealing to copycats.
And again, you are overthinking it. Slavery is a well-established trope in medieval type fantasy stories. I highly doubt that the author chose to use this trope because of any cultural inadversion to the idea of slavery and more because it is normal for the genre and fits with the story that they want to write in this setting. Trying to claim otherwise is making BROAD assumptions both about the author and the Japanese people in general.

Dex-chan lover
We're talking about different things. You're looking at the perspective of why the writer shapes the plot that way. I'm looking at a few steps before that to why the author doesn't have an issue selecting that plot device in the first place. It's important to understand why happy slave harem stories are considered acceptable in manga when you would never be able to do anything close to this in a western story without significant backlash. And it's not like it's "PC culture" or anything silly like that. It's mostly because the two places have significantly different histories, familiarities, and responses to the concept that shapes their reactions.

Because let's be honest: There are a bajillion ways that some generic isekai'd loser protagonist could get a harem of sexy devoted ladies that wouldn't depend on using literal slavery. If there's an entire cottage industry for first person manga where the key to getting a hot, devoted girl after you is to simply not be an utter bastard, there's room to have a guy get a harem that doesn't involve enslaving people that wouldn't be any more difficult to use and would have the audience overlook its shallowness. It's just that this is a trope that does get used and that makes it appealing to copycats.
don't worry I understood what you meant. Other guy just can't read. You're obviously not explaining why the author chose X, you're explaining why the manga industry allows x. Two different discussions, and other homie can't get his head out of his butt for a quick sec to realize that.

Dex-chan lover
He "loves" her yet still keep her as a slave huh.
Common guy, we both know that this isn't the cool and hip (and economically bad) chattel slavery, it isn't even the indentured servitude, it's the default "not really slavery" slavery of isekai worlds.

Dex-chan lover
"I hate this guy for being a racist, let's throw money at him to make him thrive, and feel rewarded for being difficult and discriminating against elves. Now he knows that there's money in that (and will prolly sell this info about me to other merchants)"
this mc...

Group Leader
He "loves" her yet still keep her as a slave huh.
I find it funny that’s what you’re concerned about

When we just went 6 months from meeting to fucking and nothing but a timeskip in between

Who needs character development amirite

Reactions: FVO
Dex-chan lover
No "I will try not to stand out so i can get my girl on trouble and then lost someone dear to me and i will awalen my OP MC power?" I'm in.

Dex-chan lover
  • Elf literally in shit and tatters
  • Some jolly free guy strolls in
  • “I am alone too!”

Drop the curtains 💀

Users who are viewing this thread