[EN] MTL Scanlation Guide

Dex-chan lover
U2zxwdn.png

Posted in the scanlation subreddit.

From the original poster im_not_a_name: «I saw some people here still using tools like scanlate.io for MTL scanlation, so I put together a little guide on how to do MTL scanlation properly. Hope it might be of help to some.

Imgur link for better readability.

For raws, I recommend using HakuNeko. Otherwise finding them on various raws places, though quality might vary and they might have watermarks. Screenshotting should be the last resort, though if you do, the iPad bookwalker app usually has the best quality. You'll have to crop out the two-three bottom pixel lines with bar codes though, which can be done by using a photoshop action batch script easily.»

Last edited:
Group Leader
DeepL and other traditional translation software in my experience can be pretty crap by itself. I would recommend a mix of multiple other programs. A combo of ChatGPT, Google Gemini, DeepL, and Google Translate gives you the best sense of what's going on in my experience. Chatbot AI can actually understand a bit of the context, allowing a more accurate translation and also just better results so you don't have to interpret nearly as much compared to DeepL or Google Translate. Of course, this still will give you a max of around 90% accuracy on a good day, and you still have to convert the results into natural-sounding English. In the end, it's still always much better to actually know Japanese for translations

Dex-chan lover
DeepL and other traditional translation software in my experience can be pretty crap by itself. I would recommend a mix of multiple other programs. A combo of ChatGPT, Google Gemini, DeepL, and Google Translate gives you the best sense of what's going on in my experience. Chatbot AI can actually understand a bit of the context, allowing a more accurate translation and also just better results so you don't have to interpret nearly as much compared to DeepL or Google Translate. Of course, this still will give you a max of around 90% accuracy on a good day, and you still have to convert the results into natural-sounding English. In the end, it's still always much better to actually know Japanese for translations
Nice thing about chatgpt is that you can ask it to break up the sentences and display different meanings for the kanji. This is also a great way to understand a sentence that doesn’t seem to make sense, in many cases the wrong meaning of the kanji is used.

Group Leader
Or, and this is coming from an ex-MTLer, you can find someone to translate for you or learn the language yourself

Dex-chan lover
Or, and this is coming from an ex-MTLer, you can find someone to translate for you or learn the language yourself
It's getting harder to find translators, and in a lot of cases it's just easier working on something yourself with less people.
I'm currently learning the language though.

Users who are viewing this thread