Epic of Gilgamesh

Honestly, Hinsher's probably the most interesting character in the story. Her grief after waking up and realizing she had left Genoges behind was pretty moving. Most of the characters are pretty cool but Hinsher is the best.

An example of an author tragically deciding to attempt being deep instead of entertaining. In the end the plot turned out MORE generic than it started, with the "best character" Hinsher being shoehorned despite being completely irrelevant to the story from start to end and no satisfying resolution whatsoever. Comically so, since "she" couldn't even become a knight in the end (so what was the point of her "power up" arc? Clearly to provide a shounen development that was then discarded in favor of multiple chapters of unnecessary introspection for shallow, archetypal characters.) A disappointment.

@Ayreos - Soooo... you didn't like it because the story wasn't totally linear and predictable? To each his own, I guess.

I didn't particularly enjoy the "twist" at the end (it felt inconclusive), but I like stories that introduce details and character development that aren't necessary to the central plot. Makes the world feel less contained within the story.

Dex-chan lover
@0x00019913 that's quite rich when this story is annoying small. Every single thing that happens in the story is almost connected to The Immortal in one way or another. The world is quite big, but somehow every relevant thing is related to him.

This thing is a mess. The author themselves made it clear with the "justification" he wrote at the end. I hope they get an editor for their next endeavors because the talent is there it just lack focus and coherency.

Group Leader
There will be a a total of 20 planned side-stories, maybe 30 if it goes well, 10 are already planned out according to what the author said on his twitch stream. His twitch stream is twitch.tv/jjhonc if you guys want to check it out!
He doesn't understand english but he does his best to try to translate it and respond.

Group Leader
20/30 side stories? O.O for real? And the second serie is still a thing or depends on these side stories? Let us know please.

Aggregator gang
@Chrona I love you so fucking much. I accidentally came across this manga but decided to read comments first. "I will just take a peek at this manga that this guys talked about"... I gave up on a sleep and swallowed all chapters present. Veeeeeery good. Thank you. I haven't even read this "Epic of Gilgamesh", lol.
latest

Great manga for what it is: world building.

Probably should be a tag for non-linear story too. People who are upset about shallow characters or a confusing ending are viewing it from a lens of "young adult" stories with a basic beginning-middle-end.

If you're like me who likes the offbeat stuff, it's enjoyable; kinda like learning about a place by drinking with a local stranger at a bar.

Fed-Kun's army
@Prinnyfoof
"People who are upset about shallow characters or a confusing ending are viewing it from a lens of "young adult" stories with a basic beginning-middle-end. "
Except the author got so many questions concerning why the ending was so confusing he had to make an entire chapter where he admits he did it incredibly poorly. Even if you want to argue that it's just disliked because it's "non-linear" the author admits himself he fucked up doing a non-liner story. Hell, if you want a non-linear story that works nearly the same you could head over to Emanon https://mangadex.org/title/3796/wandering-emanon as that author do that concept better than him specifically as well. It's a poorly done story that the author himself needed to explain why it seemed so poorly done, because he can't properly structure the story himself let alone expect the fans to.

@Chrona

The section of my comment was to address complaints about shallow characters and a confusing ending being more common in non-linear stories, not whether it was done well or not by the author (I appreciate the recommendation).

How well an author does is entirely dependent on whether the reader is able to follow along. As I think I was able to follow along, I enjoyed it, while the numerous complaints indicate that other were not; it's completely subjective.

Plus, my entire focus of the comment was on this being good for what (I consider) it is: world building.

good idea as a story, but poorly executed. The world building is really poor and plain, just 3 similar continents next to each other with some random cities that you never get to see, most of the time you don't even know where the characters are or from where they are from.

Users who are viewing this thread