Episode v5: A New Hope

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
March 17th, 2021. A day that will live forever in infamy. It has been quite a journey for us all since that dark, dark day. We are thankful for the countless hours and mountains of effort our development team has put into not only restoring MangaDex to its former glory, but pushing it to new heights! Tons of features, both new and improved, have been rolled out as the dev team have had time and energy to focus on them.

But there was one thing that both staff and users have been dreaming about. One huge feature that all of us have missed dearly.

MangaDex rejoice, for your dreams have come true. The forums have returned! No one actually cared about reading manga, right? We were all just waiting to post our favorite waifu.

In the immediate weeks after work on v5 began, staff began discussion on how to replace the forums, viewing it as an opportunity to put in place a "proper" forum. While the old, homebrew forums held a special place in our heart, there's no denying that it did not have a great deal of useful features that are standard on a lot of forums.

Ultimately, staff decided to go with Xenforo, a very powerful and robust forum software with tons of customization options right out of the box and the ability to add further customizations and add-ons if we so desire. What you see now is stock XF, which is pretty great if you ask us.

The best thing of all is that through wizardry, the dev team has gotten SSO working for MD and forums. Log into one, you're logged into the other.

For our OG users, you'll notice that stock XF has lots of shiny features like notifications, replies (remember when you had to insert bbcode to reply to someone?), trophies, titles, and a scoring system that will allow users to positively or negatively react to a post.

In the spirit of all things new, the rules pertaining to the forums have been revamped to be easier to understand and fairer. We do want you all to remember that we are always open to feedback and suggestions.

You can find the revamped rules here: Terms and Rules

Speaking of new, while we are pretty darn happy with stock XF, we have plenty of plans to add QoL improvements to make your posting experience more fun. This includes theming, potential new add-ons, and possibly a re-organization of sub-forums depending on relevance and popularity. As always, there are no ETAs. It is always Soon ™️.

Also, keep an eye on the contests forum. To celebrate the return of the forums, comments, and our impending 5th year anniversary, we're going to have an amazing contest with some fabulous prizes!

Lastly, I want to again take a moment to thank our development team. They worked hard to bring you forums and the ability to comment on your favorite titles. Check out @rdn 's post here for more details about the forums. Show the dev team some love!

As for me, I can’t tell you how happy I am to see that the community finally has a way to interact outside of our Discord. There has always been something more satisfying and engaging about communicating through posts that just isn’t there on Discord, where a single message might get lost in the flood of chatting.

It has been a long time coming, but from all of MD staff to you: Happy Posting.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
Thank you so much for all the hard work! First thing I noticed upon login to the forums was how nice and easy they were to use, definitely very cool :)

Staff
Super Moderator
tsurumaki-kokoro.gif

Users who are viewing this thread