Ester de Valonia - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Fed-Kun's army
Any reader of the WN can tell us how weak the MC is?
Is he as weak as a civilian? Or is he strong but still weaker than his subordinates?

Dex-chan lover
First off: I love isekais where the MC actually panics as a reaction. Calm acceptance is way to BS but it gets glossed over too often. Anyways, considering every character is essentially a love project the guy customized himself, he should more than know how to handle, console, or manipulate his people. That aside, even without that this entire country was forged with him as the original founder. I doubt any of his subordinates would think lowly of a weak-ass guy who has the planning skills to lord over an entire country of people capable of one-shotting him - in other words, his mind is probably the most valuable thing in that country, just as Rushka said.

About the game and why it flopped: in other words, it's a brilliantly thorough and over-realistic VR game. Possibly the MOST realistic VR game that exists, but the gameplay is absolutely abysmal and essentially a management/idle game that should have been in a 2D environment to shine better, and where your VR experience is sitting in a throne all day without actually doing the "cool" VR battle adventure stuff. It might as well be a single-player flash game then, but perhaps the wars might make multiplayer worthwhile. Even then, since he's just playing a RTS game essentially, this really is a flop as a VR game, but could have been ridiculously successful as a typical 2D game. RPG without exploration is bad RPG, as a general rule. No wonder the dev team axed the game, it was probably more resource-intensive than their top three most profitable games, but it only had users in the double digits... honestly, that summarizes every single RTS and TBS game I've ever played. Eventually my online friends stop playing and we all migrate.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, it is similar to overlord except for the fact that the MC is weak and only has political and management skills

Really love the artstyle
Their movements and expression are rough , serious and mobile
Gives off a seinen manga kind of feeling

Dex-chan lover
@Firemorfox
About the game and why it flopped: in other words, it's a brilliantly thorough and over-realistic VR game. Possibly the MOST realistic VR game that exists, but the gameplay is absolutely abysmal and essentially a management/idle game that should have been in a 2D environment to shine better, and where your VR experience is sitting in a throne all day without actually doing the "cool" VR battle adventure stuff. It might as well be a single-player flash game then, but perhaps the wars might make multiplayer worthwhile. Even then, since he's just playing a RTS game essentially, this really is a flop as a VR game, but could have been ridiculously successful as a typical 2D game.
So, essentially, a story of someone turning Dwarf Fortress into VR?...

Dex-chan lover
@Chizan
Considering the overemphasis on custom edited characters by the MC, I think this might be a little more like Rimworld + 300 mods + VR, rather than Dwarf Fortress. I also think Dwarf Fortress doesn't scale too well for an entire kingdom the way Rimworld (with certain mods) can handle a population almost 4x that of Dwarf Fortress. That being said, both games don't really handle the hundreds of thousands of country's citizens that this game seems to have, so I guess both are close enough.

It's just a bunch of spreadsheets, except in 3D. It's just Compiz, except with Dwarf Fortress and Eve Online windows open simultaneously!

PERFECTION! I hope I can use Emacs Calc and Emacs Lisp in the cells, then I can do something crazy and then do C-u C-u C-c C-c * and then WALA my ideal video game. And then I can have org mode. And then my spreadsheets can cross-reference other spreadsheets and notebook kernels with their own databases. And then... AHAHAHAHA why don't these games exist....

What would happen if you hooked GPT-3 to something designed to optimize Dwarf Fortress militarynsquads, say, not for skill but for style? Like, the AI would choose dwarves and elves and whatever that fit certain fantasy tropes, like the Lord of the Rings, or one of the parties from Malazan, and named them appropriately and kitten them out and such?

@Firemorfox Do you mean to say someone has run fluffy's Colony Manager with a population of 800? How tiny would their houses have to be, I wonder. Or maybe they just all go insane all the time, and the chief product of the colony is power-armor'd wardens?

Dex-chan lover
@valconius
Now I'm imagining this super-complex idle kingdom simulator that has zero graphics and is run on pure spreadsheets and text-popups. There's probably some text descriptions, and it's played as a cross between a visual novel and a text adventure. Majorly important events probably could be coded to overlay various character sprites so you have title-card images that match unique events (image Rimworld Art but it's visual)... Dang, I actually want to make a game like this now. Probably with even fewer graphics, since I suck at digital art, but I'd easily handle the logic and storytelling.

Users who are viewing this thread