Fake Saint of the Year: You Wanted the Perfect Saint? Too Bad! - Ch. 27.2

Dex-chan lover
Me dumb and not paying attention. Who was the first witch again?
I don’t think that it’s been mentioned, but the first witch was named Eve. We will learn more about her, and about the origin of witches and saints, but that’s farther down the road.

Dex-chan lover
it's really sad that I have to rely on spoilers from the comments to know how exactly strong Elrise is.

The manga just doesn't portray anything good at all. Like, I know the whole "saint-to-witch" situation is fucked and terrible, and witches are bad. But reading the manga I don't actually feel that.
Genuinely thought this series was just a fun SoL and then boom, so much plot about the saint-witch thing that sounds very serious (and yet I still don't feel that reading till now).

what I'm trying to say that while I'm very thankful for the scans team for each new chapter, I'm also severely disappointed in the manga for how they are adapting the novel. The novel sounds so much cooler/serious/fun to read.
Well, go read the LN! Official English translation is out, and it’s only 4 volumes long. I found it to be a good read.

I think that even in the manga, a lot of the pieces are there, it’s just that the reader is less likely to put them together because of the more comedic presentation (plus with something spread out over years, you forget the smaller puzzle pieces that are presented).

Plus the impact that Elrise has is presented in a very spread out even in the LN. You don’t get some pieces until later — and those pieces might only be a sentence or two, but those are enough to make you go “Ohhh. I didn’t realize how much it was until the author said that.”

Dex-chan lover
Step 1. Talk to the saint about the risk about turning into a witch
Step 2. Talk to the saint about how much she has done, and how revered she is
Step 3. Try to convince her to delay the witch hunt until they together can figure out how to prevent witchification
Step 4. Try to convince her to not hunt the witch in case they find no clues, so they dont have to deal with a witch that has her levels of power
Step 5. Convince her to continue helping the kingdom/keeping the status quo which is very hopeful for the future

This communication flowchart was made on the false basis that she was the saint, and it does not risk making an enemy out of the strongest saint in history. TALK to each other dammit.

Yeah, how about, you know, asking the saint not to kill the witch and only imprison her?

Or just don't hunt her at all? After all she's been in hiding.

Imprison the saint instead of the witch is a backward method no matter how you look at it.

Dex-chan lover
I just read the LN and man, does the manga NOT do the series justice. The actual story is really fucked up, just tinted rose by the fact that our Main Character/Best Girl is an overpowered and selfless badass.

For one thing, both the King and Leila are being reasonable on account of neither of them having the full story. In fact, nobody but our MC does. We have the privilege of being handed information nobody else has. Here's the actual numbers btw:

The peace period for when a Saint is alive is at most 5 years. The period of turmoil on the other hand, can be between 7 years to any number of decades. This is because it takes time to train a newborn Saint, and the Witch is already going havoc by then, and the only two outcomes are killing the Witch (which births a new Witch) or dying (which extends the turmoil period until a new Saint is trained). Our MC, the Strongest (fake) Saint has gone beyond that 5-year limit AND healed the surrounding areas, allowing crop growth and expansion. 70% of the world used to be uninhabitable due to Demons, which is now reduced to 10%. Food used to only be grown in the walls with limited space, where people would fight for literal scraps. The King had to even kill nobles who horded food because otherwise, everyone would starve.

This manga depicts the world in such a cherry manner, it hides the fact that this story is actually a near-apocalypse Dark Souls-esque dying world dystopia.

Also, this is unrelated but the reason the original Fake Saint was such an asshole is because of her magic. Basically, anyone with stupid powerful magic is evil because it fucks up your mana circulation and makes you a mini-psuedo-Witch (because absorbing negativity and stuff that's too long to write here). But it doesn't work on our MC because 1. MC's soul-transfer reincarantion thing kinda disassociates him from the rest of the world (so he's basically mentally ill that it ended up making him normal), and 2. he has so much self-loathing that it couldn't be corrupted anymore (black+black=the same black). It's actually a big issue and explains why he's okay with dying for the sake of others. He just has absolute zero value in his own well-being and doesn't realise how much people care for him.

Dex-chan lover
Tbf the kings logic is sound
Elrise is the greatest fake saint ever :meguu:

Dex-chan lover
Step 1. Talk to the saint about the risk about turning into a witch
Step 2. Talk to the saint about how much she has done, and how revered she is
Step 3. Try to convince her to delay the witch hunt until they together can figure out how to prevent witchification
Step 4. Try to convince her to not hunt the witch in case they find no clues, so they dont have to deal with a witch that has her levels of power
Step 5. Convince her to continue helping the kingdom/keeping the status quo which is very hopeful for the future

This communication flowchart was made on the false basis that she was the saint, and it does not risk making an enemy out of the strongest saint in history. TALK to each other dammit.
I’m very picky about idiots not talking to each other, but the LN and manga actually handle this quite well — both the king and Elrise are sensible in what they say and don’t say.

In 24.2, the king does talk to Elrise, encouraging her not to attack the witch, making good points about how the world is better off having her live to old age. He doesn’t tell her about “saint becomes the witch”, but there is a good reason for him not to do so — it might drive Elrise to despair — better for her not to know (also that’s been tried before, and it turned out very poorly). We know that Elrise knows, but similarly, she doesn’t want to mention it, because it would give it away. King also doesn’t know about Elrise’s limited remaining lifespan, but again she doesn’t want to tell him because it would prove that she’s not the saint.

There is no way to prevent the witchification (if the saint does the killing, and (ordinarily) only the saint can hurt the witch.)

Dex-chan lover
I just read the LN and man, does the manga NOT do the series justice. …
I’m going to say a few things about spoilers…
  • First, strongly consider not spoiling at all. A huge part of the pleasure of reading is figuring things out on your own as you read. (This is especially true for a story with complicated plot/lore.)
  • Second, if you’re going to spoil something, then give a clear indication ahead of the spoiler of how far down the road, and how big the spoiler is.
  • There is the argument “well, they clicked on a spoiler, so they only have themselves to blame.” But with no warning about the importance of a spoiler, most people will assume that it’s not a big one.
  • Also, of course, check to see if someone has already posted that info. Your first revelation I already covered, while the second revelation I felt was too far down the road to spoil.
  • Finally, I’ll note that I think that you misinterpreted some of the points that you’re spoiling — but I won’t argue that because… spoilers.

Dex-chan lover
I thought a little skirmish with leila was gonna happen since previous chapter's cliffhanger, but it turns into talk no jutsu instead...

Dex-chan lover
im still wonder what the concept behind saint becomes witch after kill a witch.
is it a karma system?
or some kind of curse type where it turn anyone who kill them into evil immortal when they died?
cause until now, i thought the saint becomes witch because after defeating the witch, the people especially the king feared them if they taking over the throne from the noble since saint is loved by people. hence the saint is being shunned, cased, framed, or even assassinated to the point those previous saint ended up fallen to darkness because the betrayal and become witch
The saint becomes a witch because she has the world's malice and negativity flowing into her once she slays a witch, there's been a few saint/witches who can somewhat hold it back like one who sealed herself and just waited for death but for the most part they inevitably fall. It's the reason Elrise is so strong because she underwent the a similar training process to expand her magic capacity but because she considers herself already darkened negative emotions don't really bother her
It's something we find out in the post story, but its a reaction from the world to counteract an ancient civilization that resembles a heavily industrialized modern one that was effectively poisoning the world with their technology. The world sent down the witch powers to destroy the problem, but no countermeasures to stop it from being a new problem. The emperor of said civilization was basically sealed and reawakened when a viable host touched a certain tablet so he could possess them irrc, sadly for him it was elrise and he got blown up mid monologue.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Those princes are crazy, the saint isn't a harmless damsel, she is a mass killing machine. It's like bringing a toothpick to fight a nuke

Dex-chan lover
The saint becomes a witch because she has the world's malice and negativity flowing into her once she slays a witch, there's been a few saint/witches who can somewhat hold it back like one who sealed herself and just waited for death but for the most part they inevitably fall. It's the reason Elrise is so strong because she underwent the a similar training process to expand her magic capacity but because she considers herself already darkened negative emotions don't really bother her
It's something we find out in the post story, but its a reaction from the world to counteract an ancient civilization that resembles a heavily industrialized modern one that was effectively poisoning the world with their technology. The world sent down the witch powers to destroy the problem, but no countermeasures to stop it from being a new problem. The emperor of said civilization was basically sealed and reawakened when a viable host touched a certain tablet so he could possess them irrc, sadly for him it was elrise and he got blown up mid monologue.
so basically the corrupted ancient soul has no match for her so called darkness heart lmao

also, she mentioned her life might just 1-2 years left. does she actually softened her life span when she did the training for increasing her magic?

Dex-chan lover
so basically the corrupted ancient soul has no match for her so called darkness heart lmao

also, she mentioned her life might just 1-2 years left. does she actually softened her life span when she did the training for increasing her magic?
she's just insanely powerful,
even the final boss and that post game bosses can't compare in terms of power
The training doesn't shorten lifespans, it just makes people go insane by darkening their soul, think of it as some innocent person being introduced to twitter, eventually they'll become unhinged as well. It's the reason the original timeline's Elrise was such a big problem, they had an abnormality similar to a witch which made them strong enough to pass off as a saint but makes them cruel and ruthless psychopaths.
Her lifespan's is being shortened because she's using the dark powers she took from the guy at the start of the game to filter her powers through to be able to harm the witch, She's also on her death bed in the other world which ties into Elrise's life span as well.

Dex-chan lover
she's just insanely powerful,
even the final boss and that post game bosses can't compare in terms of power
The training doesn't shorten lifespans, it just makes people go insane by darkening their soul, think of it as some innocent person being introduced to twitter, eventually they'll become unhinged as well. It's the reason the original timeline's Elrise was such a big problem, they had an abnormality similar to a witch which made them strong enough to pass off as a saint but makes them cruel and ruthless psychopaths.
Her lifespan's is being shortened because she's using the dark powers she took from the guy at the start of the game to filter her powers through to be able to harm the witch, She's also on her death bed in the other world which ties into Elrise's life span as well.
damm, so if she take off the dark from her body she will be normal again (i mean she can life long) ?

also does the dark power will return to the boy if she let it go from her body? it gonna succ if it back to him again

Users who are viewing this thread