Favela no Mangaka - Ch. 1 - A diamond in the rough in São Paulo

Contributor
Nice first chapter! I've never been to Brazil so I can't really make any rolling statements - is it actually like this?

Contributor
I definitely still disagree with the decisions made at points, but translating this is pretty fucked because they're using ⟨mangaka⟩ to mean both “comic artist” and “Japanese comic artist”/“mangaka” at different points, and you can't really express that clearly and cleanly in English I don't think, so I'm not super bothered. Altho I do resent whoever replaced “Favela Comic Artist” as a title with “Favela Mangaka” rather than just adding the latter.

Nice first chapter! I've never been to Brazil so I can't really make any rolling statements - is it actually like this?
I wonder if I can find it but I saw a Brazilian reply that was bothered by the way the gang was depicted. Oh here it is.
https://x.com/fou_toni/status/1803896116569677986
This person is upset because despite the São Paulo location, the gangs resemble Rio de Janeiro gangs rather than São Paulo gangs according to them. This could be a total nitpick or it could be a legitimate point. I don't know. How different are the gangs in these 2 cities?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Seems cool but kinda lold @ rio vs sao paolo gang operation above.Might be bothering some brazilian but maybe the chapter discussion thread can be informative if actual brazilians chime in.

Supporter
This person is upset because despite the São Paulo location, the gangs resemble Rio de Janeiro gangs rather than São Paulo gangs according to them. This could be a total nitpick or it could be a legitimate point. I don't know. How different are the gangs in these 2 cities?
I'm not Brazilian myself so I can't say for sure, but I will say that we have two people on the team that are from Sao Paolo specifically and neither of them complained about that being an issue.

The commenter you linked doesn't really explain the differences -- though they do say you can "ask for proof" which is kinda weird, imo.

Hagimoto-sensei actually speaks English, Spanish and Portuguese to a fair degree. Also, on page 4 of our release you can see a list of Brazilian "supporters" at the bottom that Hagimoto-sensei has used for verifying things in the story.

Personally I'm more inclined to trust the people that I work with all the time that are from Sao Paolo and Hagimoto-sensei himself over some random guy on twitter being coy.

Altho I do resent whoever replaced “Favela Comic Artist” as a title with “Favela Mangaka” rather than just adding the latter.
I see both titles listed. I don't know how MD chooses which to use for the alternative title, but until there's an "official" English title, the main one is gonna remain "Favela no Mangaka". Personally, I'd prefer to use the Portuguese title "Mangaka da Favela".

Last edited:
Brazilian here and I've read the chapter like 2 weeks ago or something.

For the people curious about it, Hagimoto has been interacting with brazilians on his facebook profile for quite a long time, like the past 2 years or so, and he grew very interested in brazilian culture, and so, someone recommended him to watch "City of God" (arguably the most internationally well-known brazilian movie out there), and it left a very deep impression on him, so it was just a matter of time for him to try his hand at writing a manga set in Brazil. He's been doing A LOT of research and having information on the subjects coming directly from brazilians themselves.

About the accuracy of the setting in the manga... first of all, we need to remember Brazil is an absolute behemoth of a huge country, so a lot of regions can differ among themselves greatly. In a loose comparison, I think it's somewhat safe to compare São Paulo to New York to some degree. Huge city, the biggest one in the whole country and where the biggest things usually happen, economically. But that's not all, there are also slums in there. São Paulo slums (or "favelas") are kinda different from the ones in Rio de Janeiro, the ones that people known more about usually.

So... yeah, places like this indeed exist in Brazil. Not the entire country is like that obviously, but these places are not that uncommon either. I'm personally from Rio de Janeiro but I know plenty of people from São Paulo who said the depiction of its slums was pretty much on point, but I can see why people are reminded more of Rio's gangs reading this rather than São Paulo's. There's a saying here that "two guys on a bike" is almost guaranteed that you'll be robbed if you see them, depending on where you are and when, and this indeed happens in the chapter LMAO (I personally was never robbed like this but I've heard about people who were).

TL;DR: Yeah, the depiction was kinda accurate, even if a bit exaggerated for dramatic storytelling reasons. Take that with a grain of salt, but it isn't too far from what actually happens in favelas sometimes.

Contributor
Personally I'm more inclined to trust the people that I work with all the time that are from Sao Paolo and Hagimoto-sensei himself over some random guy on twitter being coy.
Yeah of course the guy could be outright wrong, tho as a pedant myself I'm pretty open to pedantic complaints if it is that.
I see not Brazilian myself so I can't say for sure, but I will say that we have two people on the team that are from Sao Paolo specifically and neither of them complained about that being an issue.
TL;DR: Yeah, the depiction was kinda accurate, even if a bit exaggerated for dramatic storytelling reasons. Take that with a grain of salt, but it isn't too far from what actually happens in favelas sometimes.
So it seems to me to be more a nitpicky complaint rather than baseless. However, with fiction, it's difficult to portray things 100% accurately, even if you want to, and you may not want to! It can be really restricting. Exaggeration for dramatic effect can be legitimate depending upon the degree and the goal, and in this specific case, I'm inclined to think it's acceptable. However, it's only the first chapter. If things become way crazier later, I will want to check in again. Thank ye both for your input!
I see both titles listed. I don't know how MD chooses which to use for the alternative title,
Well yes because I added it back lol.
Personally, I'd prefer to use the Portuguese title "Favela da Mangaka".
“Mangaká da Favela” you mean, right?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's nice that he did his "research", talked with a lot of brazillians but... "we" are a bit concerned with type of person who is advising him. The end of the chapter with the criminals talking about the kid being at the age of becoming one of them is a bit ridiculous.

Supporter
Yeah of course the guy could be outright wrong, tho as a pedant myself I'm pretty open to pedantic complaints if it is that.
So one of our guys went into a little more depth on the issue:
well, regarding the information of gangs, I would say it's an artistic freedom the mangaka did
fantasy doesn't need to be tied to real world situation
the real world situation right now is that the country is splitted in 3 zones. Sao Paulo has a unified mafia organization called PCC
so there won't be any kind of gang wars
the manga is more related to Rio-style of decentralized gangs in each slums, but even that is changing... it's more like a unified cartel like PCC now. They are called CV (Comando Vermelho) Red Command.
in the northeast of Brazil we have Familia do Norte that is the dangerous type like mexican cartels
PCC operates as italian mafia and usually don't mess with common people

“Mangaká da Favela” you mean, right?
lol, yes. Figures I'd get that wrong.

Aggregator gang
as a brazilian-american who can’t read portuguese very well i was waiting oh so patiently for the english translation and.. it’s peak

Users who are viewing this thread