[Forum] Firefox does funny rendering

Staff
Super Moderator
Turns out in this thread that Firefox does funny html rendering when you open looong content in reply quotes. I tested it in edge too, and edge seems to bypass this by having horrible page unloading.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open the thread
2. go to my reply
3. open the quote
4. fuck around <-> find out

Firefox info:
image.png

Can repro, rendering in Gecko is weird indeed but I'm still not sure if this is a forum, browser, or spec (as in diverged CSS interpretation, already happened multiple times) bug.

N2O

Dex-chan lover
Didn't get anything weird <-> but when I scroll down far enough, like 85% down or so, the header and some other CSS elements moves down like this, creating a gap where you can see the cringe image

Edit:
oh yeah and then when you're close the bottom it fully unloads the header, but I think that's intended behavior..?

Turns out in this thread that Firefox does funny html rendering when you open looong content in reply quotes. I tested it in edge too, and edge seems to bypass this by having horrible page unloading.
Breathes slowly...
TLDR: It is a FF bug where the maximum height (and probably width) of 8,947,850 pixels. 8,947,840 pixels. 17,895,698 pixels. But apparently two things are happening:
  1. When loaded, the overall page does not exceed as there are only 8,963,670 pixels currently (I have to get this figure from Chrome DevTools as the Firebug apparently caps out to the strikethroughed numbers above.)
  2. When you expand the first picture, it is now 17 million 923 thousand and 500 pixels which is 27,802 pixels beyond Firefox's rendering capabilities.
Ironically, I cannot reproduce this limit on FF Mobile even though it should be affected by the same bug until I realized that FF unloads the previous images thanks to XenForo applying lazy-loading images and my phone having a limited memory (my phone only has 3GB of RAM).

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
It doesn't break outright for me, but the text in the topbar/sidebar starts moving a couple of pixels at a time and I think I'm having a seizure now.

It doesn't break outright for me, but the text in the topbar/sidebar starts moving a couple of pixels at a time and I think I'm having a seizure now.
To be fair, reliably reproducing this one requires you to force all images not have the lazy-loading attribute, but yes, in certain instances where FF silently unloads some images for memory conservation reasons (I know that the source image is literally 1px × 10,000px, I didn't wrote FF's garbage collector), the total height of the document never reaches the limit. Try to do this using a desktop computer and scrolling a bit slowly and you might be able to reproduce it. It is not reproducible in Chrome though, but reading a comment from a Fastmail developer the limit seems to be around 32MP.

Last edited:

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
smh, Xnot busy destroying the interwebs

Users who are viewing this thread