Flag for english :rejected:

Group Leader
I just want to ask why are you putting the british flag for english translations and not the american one?

This does not happen with spanish from Spain and spanish from Mexico.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
English is English, not American

Europe is still relevant goddamnit

it's Latin American Spanish, represented by the Mexican flag. Any non-Mexican Latin Americans care to object?

As for "English", the flag is supposed to represent the language, not the country. And it is STILL called "English", and not "American". simple enough, i think.

Dex-chan lover
I note also that the Brazilian flag, rather than the Portuguese flag, is used for the Portuguese language.

The OP isn't suggesting that no English-language translation have the British flag, but that some have other flags, including the American flag, based on nation of origin. That's why the OP referred to the use of the Mexican flag. (I encounter Mexicans every day, and they simply call their language “Spanish”. Meanwhile, there are various differences between written American English and written British English. So let's have no more of trying to claim that it's somehow different for English from the cases for Spanish and for Portuguese.)

But all this gets messy. Many nations, including America, are multilingual. What does one do with a Spanish-language translation from a New Yorker of Puerto Rican descent? And what does one do with a translation produced in Japan, throwing together both Americanisms and things normally said or written with at least one pinkie extended (such as “whilst”)?

Dex-chan lover
I'm assuming all hail the commonwealth is a bad joke for this thread.

i suggest we use a separate flag for mucho bad Google-translated-mutilated chapters.

I hope admin reconsider this suggestion...
sDB8e3d.jpg

Dex-chan lover
@pikokola

American orthography is simpler than British orthography, but American grammar retains distinct forms collapsed by British English.

With various translators using Scottish English as a substitute for Kansai dialect, there might be some cause to use the St Andrew's Cross! (Alternately, an icon for a leper's bell might be used.)

Users who are viewing this thread