Gal ni Yasashii Otaku-kun - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Double-page supporter
Glad you guys are back
The other group dropped and it ain't looking like they coming back

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That's not a podium; that's a lectern. One stands upon a podium; one stands behind a lectern, which has materials to be read.

(Even Galaxy Degen Scans got that much right.)

Fed-Kun's army
That's not a podium; that's a lectern. One stands upon a podium; one stands behind a lectern, which has materials to be read.

(Even Galaxy Degen Scans got that much right.)
You're being overly pedantic. Even Merriam-Webster, says the all y'all of us in North 'murica don't know the difference between a "podium" and "lectern" and use the terms interchangeably in most contexts.

Dex-chan lover
You're being overly pedantic. Even Merriam-Webster, says the all y'all of us in North 'murica don't know the difference between a "podium" and "lectern" and use the terms interchangeably in most contexts.
The term “overly pedantic” is inept, as it suggests that some level of pedantry is just fine. Pedantry is by definition excessive.

Issues of language have never been settled by common use, but instead by the use of those whose writings are published, with the choices of more careful writers getting still more weight. If more common use were the determinant, then language would not so much evolve as devolve. And the reason that people who write for publication aren't typically as sloppy about the distinction between “lectern” and “podium” is because such sloppiness discernibly reduces the power of the language. The difference is not a matter of technical minutia.

M-W is not a reliable source, as illustrated by how, literally overnight, they changed their definition to claim that a term were offensive, exactly and only because a politician seeking to score a hit had claimed as much, with which politician M-W was strategically aligned.

Double-page supporter
Guess I'd better go change all of Yua's speech to the Queen's English.

Fed-Kun's army
The term “overly pedantic” is inept, as it suggests that some level of pedantry is just fine. Pedantry is by definition excessive.

Issues of language have never been settled by common use, but instead by the use of those whose writings are published, with the choices of more careful writers getting still more weight. If more common use were the determinant, then language would not so much evolve as devolve. And the reason that people who write for publication aren't typically as sloppy about the distinction between “lectern” and “podium” is because such sloppiness discernibly reduces the power of the language. The difference is not a matter of technical minutia.

M-W is not a reliable source, as illustrated by how, literally overnight, they changed their definition to claim that a term were offensive, exactly and only because a politician seeking to score a hit had claimed as much, with which politician M-W was strategically aligned.
I can't even trust dictionaries anymore!

I guess those publishers or something done messed up somewhere, because I was convinced that "overly pedantic" was a cromulent combination of wordstuffs!

Issues of language have never been settled by common use, but instead by the use of those whose writings are published, with the choices of more careful writers getting still more weight.

Unfortunately, we live in the age of the Internet, so that may not be the case for much longer. For instance, I had never seen the term "trope" used "correctly" until I took a class on rhetoric.

Users who are viewing this thread