Gal ni Yasashii Otaku-kun - Vol. 1 Ch. 5

Dex-chan lover
Funny, you know. Before I started reading manga I always thought of the Japanese as kind of hard-nosed and formal. But it takes a culture of soppy romantics to invent the "indirect kiss"--so cute!

Dex-chan lover
She did. She asked him to stop calling her "Himeno-san" and instead call her "Riko". He didn't, but that's what she asked him to do.
When you see that the person you are talking to is not comfortable with dropping honorifics, it's usually a good tone to drop back to using them, so you're at the same level.

Dex-chan lover
Wait that said 450kcal. 450,000 calories! That's enough for 225 days with moderate exercise. If they eat that many calories in one drink it's gonna tear open the space-time continuum.

Dex-chan lover
There are so many gal + nerd trope type mangas, but has anyone actually seen it happen irl? The closest I’ve seen were 2 of my HS classmates in my senior year but they never went past 2 months dating
ive seen it happen a few times irl, my best friend is a huge nerd (he builds legos in his basement in his spare time) and his girlfriend (fuck him for getting one before me) what i guess would be considered a gal (she posts regularly on ig about her day and what she eats and shit like that), i dunno how he pulled that but they've been going strong for like 2 years and they both are happy whenever i go to his place to eat or play games w him. personally i think extroverts like gals go really well with the right type of introvert cuz they each get personal space but they also love spending time together but then again what do i know...

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!

Guess nothing really happened in the volume's end. Oh well.
what i guess would be considered a gal (she posts regularly on ig about her day and what she eats and shit like that)
… Guess that makes past me a gal and current me an otaku. If I wasn't missing one vital body part I could've changed my relationship status on futabook to it's complicated. :shamihuh:

Dex-chan lover
When you see that the person you are talking to is not comfortable with dropping honorifics, it's usually a good tone to drop back to using them, so you're at the same level.
Yeah… But when you're teen classmates who live in our age you're already at the same pretty low level of not needing them. And that's just the baseline since dudeson was all over her hair and face doing her makeup and hairdo when she wasn't even properly awake, even to the point he just intuitively patted her, those honourifics are just extras in the story at this point.

On the note of that intuitive patting, it really reminded me of little (elementary) school accidents such as saying I love you at the end of a call or calling the class teacher mum/dad.

Dex-chan lover
There are so many gal + nerd trope type mangas, but has anyone actually seen it happen irl? The closest I’ve seen were 2 of my HS classmates in my senior year but they never went past 2 months dating
Depending on the nerd and the gal, I see no reason for not happening. I mean, there are gals that read or see some stuff that an otaku would read, right?

Dex-chan lover
Seen it happen in working adults (1 pair of them are happily married) but never amongst students. The separation between supposed 'groupies' are still big when you're in school.

Dex-chan lover
It's nice to see how the other guys respect Otakura for understanding gal, and didn't feeling jealous. 😂

Dex-chan lover
I feel like there's definitely a personal style thing happening there. She's unusually informal, he's unusually formal; in their particular case I don't think it's a big surprise if they end up using different levels of honorifics. It's a dynamic I've seen quite a few times before.

Users who are viewing this thread