Game Recommendation

Elona
Japanese roguelike game. I don't really know how else to describe it. Pretty grindy. Has multiple forks; Elona+, Elona+Custom, Elona Omake, etc. It's free.

OpenTTD
A free open source game based on Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Has a few mods to make it more interesting, like more industries, vehicles and stuff.

OpenRCT2
A free open source game based on Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. Has a lot more features than the original RCT2 game. You'll need the demo (which is free) at least since ORCT2 uses the graphics from the base game.

Battle for Wesnoth
Another open source turn-based strategy game with a high fantasy theme. Has single player and multiplayer. Can create your own stories/campaigns and more.

The Longest Journey
Great adventure game with amazing protagonist
Downfall
Adventure game with dark motives
Age of Empires 2
One of the best classic strategy game

Dex-chan lover
Play Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together. Or anything from the Ogre Battle series, really.

"The Legend of Heroes: Trails..." series are excellent JRPG, there are currently 9 games with an overarching story, all are available for PC, although 2 of them were never released in the west, but they have fan translations. If you start the franchise start with Trails in the Sky First Chapter or Trails of Cold Steel I, don't start with any other since you'll basically spoil yourself the story.

But seriously, buy them, I want more games translated.

The Legends of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel series is great game that doesn't have a huge fan base that it deserve . Also with both 1 & 2 have remaster edition on PS 4 and the 3rd game coming out on in the fall . now is good time to try it out. What I about this game is story and music and battle system which get fun as you progress. Like for example if have your have impede quartz equip then you beat most of bosses without taking any damage. it honesty really broken but fun also if you loss you can retry but the game weaken the boss/ enemies. so you don't have worry about gaining.
So yeah try The Legends of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel series

Dunno if anyone is a big RTS or Strategy edgelord like me but Age of Empires II is one of the best games I've played. AoEII HD is I think $20 but I love the series. Highly Recommended for RTS and Conquering Edgelords

CrossCode is a really cool action RPG. It has a great combat system, dense over world maps, and Zelda dungeons. It's one of my favorite games and really deserves a lot of praise for being an awesome game.

A very niche recommendation from me, but if you like dungeon-crawling JRPGs, Labyrinth of Refrain is pretty good. it's a NIS RPG so expect a bunch of grinding, but the game gives you a lot of options for how you build your party. The story is also really good, and there's a lot of subtext that some messed up things happened, or are happening in the worlds you visit within the dungeon. It's also getting a sequel in the near future called Labyrinth of Galleria.

A unique game is Anodyne 2. Despite being a sequel, you don't need to play the first game to understand the story. It wears its themes on its shoulder, but it certainly has its moments.

Try Fran Bow, it's a really interesting psychological horror game where you take control of a mentally damaged girl in a very creepy atmosphere where you must complete puzzles in order to move forward, the situation goes worse while following the next scenarios with reality distorted. It also has a very nice immersive soundtrack

For a good nostalgia trip, go to newgrounds and play "high ranking classic games".

That's what Ive been doing recently lol.

Fed-Kun's army
Cave Story
A platforming, "metroidvania" game made by one man. Good action, catchy music, and charming, chibi-like character designs.

Everlasting Summer
Visual novel fans would have heard of this long ago, but just in case: a Russian-made game, with the protagonist sent back to the days of the USSR. And it's for free! A very minor spoiler, if at all:
Hatsune Miku, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, makes an appearance.

Oxenfree
A walkin', talkin' simulator. No, seriously. Teens have a run-in with the unknown on an island. Quite the experience. My words would only undersell it, so do look up a trailer.

Night in the Woods
A superlative adventure game. Play as Mae Borowski, who returns to her small hometown. The story line(s) is engaging. The atmosphere is something else.

(The last two don't have Japanese pop culture styling, but fans of adventure manga will find themselves right at home.)

Users who are viewing this thread