Gantz

Power Uploader
I really wish this one had an epilogue or extra chapter. Very curious about what happened to them in the end.

Fed-Kun's army
I still think it's really neat how they constantly have huge changes in main characters since literally any character can die. It's like if George R.R. Martin made a manga.

@thedeadapostle

There's a reason why there isn't, and why the ending feels kinda iffy... although you might well rage out if you realize it.

It's intentionally vague, since the epilogue seems to be the third-person version of "unreliable narrator".

The finale can be alternatively read as:

1) literal happy end
2) mirage/dream sequence/hallucination cliffhanger...actual fate unknown
3) manga ends showing their hopes and dreams as they're dying of exposure and dehydration
4) died and went to heaven?
5) one dead, one survived and delirious???

There's a general surreal feel and artstyle to the last page that suggest something other than reality. Also, the composition of the crowd is somewhat suspicious...

And, once you go down that route, most of the other character epilogues are cast in doubt... Since we don't really have reliable info on the squad actually getting back, either, just their attempts to use a glitching black ball.

Seems like Oku left it up to the reader, though.

Seriously bummed. The first 9 chapters are visceral, violent. The pinups were great. Then chapter 10 the author obviously sold out to a more mainstream publisher, and POOF, the author's voice is gone. Lessened violence, no more nudity. You can see the publisher pushing him for longer arcs, more character study, likable characters. BULLSHIT. It's like turning Tarantino into Michael Bay. Vol 9 Ch 106 is the end as far as I'm concerned. Dropped.

Power Uploader
@princeofcups Err, are you sure? I mean, there's a more fleshed out story after volume 9, for sure, but there's still a ton of gore and nudity, and not the soft kind…

Fed-Kun's army
GREAT MANGA! I appreciate it didn’t shy away from realistic problems and characters, even if sometimes it can get kind of annoyingly sexual. I think the character development was great, and even if the ending was a bit confusing, I enjoyed the ‘who’s right and who’s wrong’ scenario. I think it was a bit of a political metaphor for what our society views as what’s right and what’s wrong. 8.5/10. Highly reccomend.

What the heck is that Sebastian person?? Those words he said to Kikouchi are the same ones what that Inaba (that cowardly guy) said before the battle in Italy ,then he started killing people on a whim, even went as far as crashing a plane! Also that guy kinda looks like the being inside the gantz. So many questions...

Dex-chan lover
most bingeable and easy to read series. Kept me entertained til the end, but still don't expect something amazing and i'm warning you, ending isn't the best. Still, i'm not regretting reading it

Fed-Kun's army
Binged the whole thing and man, what a roller coaster of a read that was. Same hype as reading fire punch it was entertaining until the end. one question though, what was the point of the vampires? they never really expanded their lore, they said they took drugs for vampire-ish powers and are also allies with the aliens after that they were just yeeted from the story. they were really only used for plot convenience i feel like

Look incredible. There aren't many, but a few characters have depth. However, the overall story is really lackluster.

Gantz: human frailty.

Fuck.

Also, gantz: fuck japanese message boards

I cant tell if oku hiroya is just one nihilistic fuck or not, with how often he juxtaposes humanities deepest flaws and collective succeses. It almost seems oddly unbiased, which is why i think Gantz is so beautiful, and the only reason the true horror of the last arc was readable for me. Its hard to watch a group of humans egging on the deaths of other humans or even all of humanity like that, and harder to see humanity treated like less than insects. But Hiroya will also immediately follow these with scenes of true love or human ingenuity. Difficult, provoking, and accurate.

Either way he really has a shockingly low opinion of human nature, with how scummy most humans are in this, besides protags. Maybe its an accurate portrayal of mob mentality sometimes but its pretty sickening to see. Not that i think hes totally wrong. Like the message boards, or how the groups of civilians fight aliens. Almost bizarre, but strangely realistic. Undeniably a dark, low view on the everymans deep psyche.

Fed-Kun's army
lol i know this is dumb series from beginning, but i read it anyway
Art is okay IMHO, 7/10
Story is below average, 3/10
Ending is WTF? no meaning or conclusion at all 1/10

Ow man, i never ever care one bit to this manga eventho i know it, but seriously, i came here right away after watch the movie cgi anime version, that was cool man, maybe bcs theres no ecchi just like the manga, the movie get straight to the point, im blessed watching it, well im gonna read it from chapter 1 till the end, wish me luck (i know its frustating and have a wtf end, but nvmd since im quarantine i have a lot of time)

i prefer the official translation from the books it is a lot smoother.. but the thing is that now i have to open the last 11 volumes that are sealed :) yeah sux

Users who are viewing this thread