GATE - Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri - Ch. 78

@OniBarubary @Karme As others have said Beefeater should be around 18 at this time. Where the other guy got 13 from is actually Japan's national age of consent for females. You might say "but all my manga says it's 16!" and that is because most provinces have corruption of minors clauses that raises it to either 16 or 18, unless they are in a serious romantic relationship (then back down to 13). Some prefectures additionally raise it to 20 (age of adulthood) if you are unable to obtain parental consent. The only exceptions to this are two island chain territories where the age of consent remains 13 as they have no more limiting local laws.

Therefore, as someone mentioned, typical practice for deployed military units is that they are still governed by the law of their sovereign nation, in this case Japanese national law, but none of the Prefectural laws. Therefore, they would be required to observe the age of consent of 13. Naturally, they are also subject to any military law (UCMJ equivalent) which I have no knowledge of, and may be arbitrarily addended by the force commander.

Dex-chan lover
Woah. Some pretty harsh injuries from that cavalry charge. I can see how it would be hard to keep a formation together, when faced by a stampede of meat and steel.

Dex-chan lover
They're technically forbidden to have sex with locals. At least until the medical side has been better studied. But I think there'd be a lot of looking the other way.

Dex-chan lover
@DeusVult

Amusingly, I think I've given the exact same explanation you just did to other people in another manga either here or back on Batoto on how the "age of consent" in Japan being 13 is a little...inaccurate and not the whole story. I think it was for Gal Gohan...for...some reason. lol

Still, good to refresh it every now and then. I'm...still a little unsure about the military being guided simply by the statutory age limit as I think if a Japanese soldier had sex with a 13 year old in a foreign country they would be punished quite severely.

All chicks are named after alcohols, Beefeater is quite famous gin for example.

Dex-chan lover
This manga does large scale battles so well, even if they are a mish-mash of late medieval knights & Roman legionaries with a helping of JSDF paratroopers on the side. Kudos for the realistic depictions of the gruesome injuries that pre-modern weaponry inflicts; no sugar coating adds dramatic weight to the political events going on.

And, the Rose Order is my nominee for the most badass female military unit in manga history (not that I'm a great scholar in that field). Now I'm looking forward to Beefeater's antics with Colonel Kengun & the rest of the JSDF merry men.

FYI people, Beefeater isn't just a type of Gin (though I'm sure that is the theme the author is going for in the Rose Knight names), its also the slang term for the royal guards at Kensington Palace, the Tower of London etc. in England.

I also think it should be clarified that this was a heavy cavalry (knights in full armor on big horses in armor) attacking heavy infantry (only real equivalent is Roman Legionaires, which is what the bad guys were). Any time either of these types of troops go to battle it is nasty.

https://s2.mangadex.org/data/b3e7babf08197c90e1d34b2fada3e0ce/f21.jpg
bozes and befeater are of same age and 1 year younger then pina. i don't remember what's pina age at start of war with japan but from all things it should be at least half year after it started or more. and don't forget that bozes already pregnant

The JSDF has six casualties, all light injured, it says in the chapter, but aren't casualties only the dead?

@Abetillo
No, casualties can include anyone sick, injured, missing, dead, captured, etc. Essentially personnel that are no longer available to be used for service.

Double-page supporter
Casualty means "becomes unavailable for duty" Which means if because of some reason that they can't accomplish missions that we will give to them. It means casualty. Or in another way of saying, that person turn from an ABLE person for military purpose now become UNABLE.

Dex-chan lover
When you think about it, those girls just thought it would be cool to join a knight order, as no other would accept women. Noble daughters in battle, it's amazing.

Dex-chan lover
Did Beefeater and Kengun actually meet prior to this? The exchange makes it seem like they did and he just forgot, but I can't remember when they would've.

Aggregator gang
"11th Company had 6 casualties, all are light injuries"
So were there 6 casualties and light injuries in other soldiers, or did 6 soldiers die of light injuries?

@Mapax If they died, it would be fatalities. 6 casualties all light injuries, meaning they were removed from combat but will recover.

Users who are viewing this thread