GATE - Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri - Ch. 97

@FeviBevi
They talk about fighting from the shadows and magic. Spies and insurgents/terrorists with magic would be very difficult to deal with unless the JSDF have a way of detecting mages.
Lelei used sleep magic right? Sleep magic alone can be very useful to those in the shadows.

From reading the manga, this is the first time you actually see a mage as part of the Imperial forces, but he's a general, a leader, not a do-er. You don't see mages embedded with the troops, nor do you see magic employed at the tactical level. Sure, you see mages as a separate academic society, but they're not a part of the army. This leads me to believe that magic is very rare and the Imperial army does not have a system of how to make use of magic. To create any kind of system, 1. you need educated people, 2. you need an efficient way to communicate, 3. Perhaps most importantly, you need trust. Without trust you won't be willing to share knowledge or ideas.

The only use of magic I've seen by people not in the MC's immediate group was the academic society of mages and possibly Norra in her fight with Delilah. The use of Magic in daily life, even by geniuses like LeiLei and natural users like Tuka appears to be non-existent which should indicate just how rare it is.

Yeah, magic users are so rare that the MC meets up with many of them and there's an entire ACADEMY full of them.

Guess those in power haven't been that despotic/smart/competent, or they'd have their own team of mages.

A number of Dictators in our world have had geniuses and other talented people working for them.

@FeviBevi
Yeah, magic users are so rare that the MC meets up with many of them and there's an entire ACADEMY full of them.

Yet only 1 in the empire. Doesn't that tell you something about the Empire's relationship with magic?

Guess those in power haven't been that despotic/smart/competent, or they'd have their own team of mages.

So, how do you propose to get an organized group of people with super powers to do your bidding if they don't want to?

A number of Dictators in our world have had geniuses and other talented people working for them.

And how many of those "geniuses" have been able to come with systems to find and make other geniuses work for the dictators?

@SlurpNoodle

There was Myuute, the Siren, captured after the Siege of Italica. Presumably she was part of the forces that attacked Alnus.

It's not clear if she was conscripted, enslaved, or hired as a mercenary but it seems that other at least other countries are willing to employ magic users tactically to some degree.

@pen15ninja
There was Myuute, the Siren, captured after the Siege of Italica. Presumably she was part of the forces that attacked Alnus.
It's not clear if she was conscripted, enslaved, or hired as a mercenary but it seems that other at least other countries are willing to employ magic users tactically to some degree.

I'm glad you brought up Myuute. It was not made clear if her ability to hypnotize was magic, harmonics or maybe even psionics. It's not clear what role she was being used in either. Was she was even originally a part of the Imperial forces? Or was she someone who had fallen in with the banditry of the remnant imperial forces after they were stomped and routed?. If I had to guess, considering her armor, arms and the fact she was in the thick of the fighting, she was a line or skirmish trooper, not someone who was being used specifically for her hypnotic song or magic abilities. Either way, it appears that users of magic is so rare the Imperial military doesn't have a systematized way of using their abilities. Judging from Pina's reaction, magic is a known quantity and I would assume if they encounter it, they just throw bodies at it until the threat has been overcome.

have they allowed the american forces stationed in japan to assist them or is it a political thing to keep them away

Wtf noooooo i thought there was more had i known i was closse to update i would have stop

Double-page supporter
What is this "general Herm's plan", did I miss something when it mentioned in ch.96 and now in ch.97? I just saw burned jeeps and trucks, I guess there's casualties? Did the manga ever talk about this before or the details is only on novel? If Herm's plan is explained in much more detail on novel then it means the manga only readers is screwed up.

@SlurpNoodle
So, how do you propose to get an organized group of people with super powers to do your bidding if they don't want to?

You get enough of them to want to. How do you think physically weak dictators stay in power for so long? Think Stalin, Mao, Hitler etc could beat their bodyguards in 1v1 fight? They were certainly weaker than the armies and special forces teams serving them. Propaganda, indoctrination, hostages, "carrot & stick", etc.

And how many of those "geniuses" have been able to come with systems to find and make other geniuses work for the dictators?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Soviet_inventions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_inventions_of_the_Nazi_period

Idk why, but the Japs really just need to put the hammer down and occupy the Empire. Prop up a puppet or friendly regime like how the U.S does things. All for the oil.

Allowing the prince to live is extremely dumb. Just having better tech would dramatically increase the quality of life of average citizens so they really won't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread