GATE - Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri - Vol. 17 Ch. 94

Dex-chan lover
The black mist is an inverse AT field. No worries an angry Eva will pop out any moment.

Dex-chan lover
A 3D shadow? Impressive. But I rather call it Void. Anything that goes in there, and it's 'spirit-based', instantly loses spirit.

Fed-Kun's army
"It's from another dimension? That sounds like something out of science fiction.". Bruh, you're literally IN another dimension.

That is a interesting theory, but Herr Professor is talking out of his ass. I mean , if you seen a black myst and a distorsion of the night sky, what would be your first thought: 3D shadow of 4D object or that something was concealing itself in the area with some kind of invisibility cloak? Also, given the looks of the things and the offhand remark they themselves do about how it looks like liquid nitrogen, nobody thinks in measuring the temperature? Low temperature spillage of nitrogen or, even better, carbon dioxide, would explain most of what they are seeing ...

On other issue, I was half expecting Rory to go on a rampage when Herr Professor started teaching our resident genius mage about General Relativity. I mean, one of the demigods jobs is to ensure that progress does not happen too fast and Rory already was shown to be willing to kill her if she went too far in her research. More , she passed all the explanation shooting daggers with her eyes and in the end picks down a bottle and goes away ... I'm pretty sure the author does not want to go there, but it did passed my mind that Rory was thinking seriously about if she did had to kill her...

Dex-chan lover
@rrolo1

iinm, she's fine with leilei learning all this stuff since leilei understood the risk and restriction imposed on the knowledge 'leak' from outside the gate and leilei only share those relevant to the level on their side...

bout the possibility of lower temp you spoke off, either they already checked but not shown (or its written in novel but missed in the manga), or they needed more equipment to confirm the dismissal... but the radiation check should also show the temp to be normal logically....

Dex-chan lover
A sort of answer was written in the novel if I am not mistaken, but then I need reread the whole novel.

I think it was something about the space between spaces that was leaking into the material world. Since the two realities are forcefully linked by the gate and it will eventually be forced to separate again.

Anyone who knows more can correct me.

@no168_92

Radiation detection devices do not normally measure temperatures ... and the one shown ( the drawing is detailed enough to know exactly the machine in question ) does not measure temperatures. But even if they did, my original point stands: there are a number of alternative explanations that would be needed to be weeded out before going to speculative physics. Herr Professor was way too eager to go there IMHO.

On Rori and Leilei getting knowledge ... seriously, they are teaching General relativity to someone in a Roman era analogue. The simple concept of dimensions like they are teaching her would not occur to humans in our world until Galileo, Kepler and Newton and the concept of a non euclidian space would need to wait for maths to get there in the XIX century. If you think about it, it is far more disruptive to teach those concepts that having the inhabitants of Althus to have acess to the tools of our age: guns are just fast crossbows, planes are just inorganics birds ... but those ideas could make their society to get centuries ahead , even if Leilei does not open her mouth about the original idea she picked.

Mages copy each other methods and read eachother's research, remember? She only needs to make a obtuse reference to a concept like "dimension" in her papers and maybe other mage reads it, has a eureka moment on his own and bam, they leapt 10 centuries :p

Fed-Kun's army
See, when people talk about the three dimensional 'shadow' of a four dimensional object it's not like they're literally talking about a shadow. Like, the three dimensional 'shadow' of you, a four dimensional being traveling through time would be you at any instant in time. A literal shadow is the occlusion of light moving in one direction to create a two dimensional unlit area, so occluding it with a two dimensional sheet or a higher dimensional object doesn't change the shadow.

Clearly we're dealing with some kind of hrímþurs that eats the ability to experience time.

Dex-chan lover
It's not like what they are talking about is rocket science, most of it is really logical, but still it's always this funny feeling when a seemingly simple fantasy story suddenly goes into such topics like higher dimensions(4+) and time paradoxes.

Double-page supporter
@rrolo1 yes and no. The theory Leilei discovered here is indeed extremely modern and can totally change the perception of the world in the scholars eyes...
But that's it.
It got no real impact on our world. It's a big step for the comprehension of our universe, but it's not a technological step. So I think it's fine as far as Rory is concerned. For the people of this world, learning how to create a working engine would be far more impactful to their live than knowing that celestial mass affects time and space.

Dex-chan lover
@rrolo1

but magic is just unexplained science.... how can we be certain, concept we understood differently doesn't actually exist in their world without scientific explanation? for all we could know, they already have space magic and all

I think they talked about it in the leilei mage/prof graduation arc, not sure novel or manga, since sometimes i forgot which covered what...

another theory states, magic actually inhibits technological advancement, since the need to simplify has already been met, that they don't go the industrial route like earth did...

about the temp, well, i'm sure 'genius' scientists won't forget something so basic. plus they also said need more funding/equipment/manpower...

all in all, don't take all these things too seriously i guess... 😋

Dex-chan lover
bad news : the mangaka is working on volume 17 , so no new chapter 95 this month , the raw japanese scan of chapter 95 will be released in 30 / 6 , and the english translation will be released later .

@ShinGetsu

Yes ... and no as well. If you go to reread the chapters that preceded Leilei getting her sage degree ( like I did just now, to be sure I was not talking nonsense ), Rory view of what to limit is plainly explained. See, Rory has no issue with people of Alnus using guns, but she was throwing daggers to Leilei speaking about revealing the existance of gunpowder ( to the point Itami got cold sweats thinking that Rory was thinking on killing Leilei on the spot ) ... while not having a issue with Leilei work on multiple layer detonation spells. Also , she was EXTREMELY interested in that elf scholar theory of heliocentrism and in the popular reception of it ( getting Itami to get cold sweats again ) ( P.S BTW that elf report to the sage academy is pertinent to this chapter events. Glad I reread it ).

In other words, Rory has no issues with tecnological steps, since, if she did , she would object to Leilei use of detonation magic that clearly mimics the gunpowder usage ... who cares if your grenade is powered by magic or by a chemical reaction if it explodes the same way ? But she really dislikes the spread of ideas she consider to be alien or out of time: she clearly thinks their world is not ready for heliocentrism and definitely does not want the idea of chemical reactions creating explosions being known in Alnus ( again no issue with usage of guns ... and this is not even a exception for Itami entourage, since we already seen werewolves in tactical gear and with guns in hand ). If technological spread was what Rory was worried about, she would not care about heliocentrism and she would be mad with dark elves wearing bazookas or werewolves in tactical gear. But we see the opposite ...

Her dislike of heliocentrism is what makes me think that she should be very unhappy with Leilei knowing General Relativity. If you think about it, heliocentrism is even far more useless in technological terms than General relativity ( I mean, General relativity has uses in our everyday life ( GPS, for a quick example ) but heliocentrism ... does not ) ... Besides that, General Relativity, while not needing heliocentrism, definitely implies, as this chapter points out by itself, the idea of heliocentrism ... and Rory does not like that :p

If I was the scientist I would be like well there's gods in this world WHO choose proxys that are more powerful than normal people so they are in some degree real..... ALL BETS ARE OFF WITH THIS SHIT, IT COULD BE WHATEVER

Users who are viewing this thread