GGWP. ~Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games~ - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Midnight Battlegrounds

Power Uploader
Hiya, this was supposed to come out last week but I had to fight of a bad case of fever plus having to re-edit until it make some kinda sense, there were bunch of gamer terms(I don't play fighting games) in this chapter that I hopefully translated well enough. If there's any confusion, I apologize in advance and if there's a better way to restructure the sentences, help will be greatly appreciated.

Dex-chan lover
keptyouwaitinghuh
if i knew any PRs that played fighting games i'd point them your way

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
You know, I'm something of a fighting game player myself...

It feels so weird reading middle down when I'm most used to reading the direction first, then the type of attack e.g. down medium /crouching medium / jumping light. Could you imagine if this manga introduces the number notations? I would be impressed and happy if they did.

Combo notations with numbers are directions but without writing up left right down.
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3
So a combo would be written as 2L > 5L > 6M > 5H > 623M​

quite hell to translated, huh? especially the terms can get regional despite talking about the same term and the game is fictional, you can't just go to dustloop and checking up the names lol

Group Leader
@Richman Same, it kind of confused me to read "Middle Down" when we normally will read it 2M, also I find it funny how she literally describe footsies instead of just saying the term.

Dex-chan lover
The Indians did a lot with a 0 digit, but they got it from the Chinese or from the Indo-Chinese. The character ‘0’ itself evolved from drawing an empty box, which in turn came from the Chinese practice of using a grid to indicate the orders of magnitude of digits.

(Before the Chinese or Indo-Chinese invention of a zero, the Babylonians had one, but seem to have used it only in astronomical calculation, and not to have recognized its more general usefulness.)

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@Aile
I know, right? As I was reading I thought "Wait, isn't this just footsies?"

Btw, Footsies is when both players are trying to bait the other into attacking just outside of their range so they can counter attack, it's the "She walked off then walked forward" from page 18, for those who don't know.

Watch this video for a universal fighting game terminology by Core A Gaming, I can watch it 20 times and not be bored.

Aggregator gang
@Aile Which part was the footsies explanation? I like fighting games, but I only play on a casual level, so I don't know much about that stuff (I know the names, but don't really have experience).

Also, now that we get to see more characters from Iron Senpai 4... they look good. I'd probably main Setsuna-senpai, but it'd depend on his playstyle.

Dex-chan lover
is it me or the mangaka decides throw readers off for the arcade sticks design, lol...the top button panel layout Qanba drone onto Razer Panthera body lolz

Group Leader
@Danglark in pg18, when she said "She walked off, and then walk forward" this is called footsies, this is what you do to bait opponent to attack and then whiff punished them.

Group Leader
@genderbenderbb2 If you don't mind learning a few thing about fighting game and a few of their term, I recommend watching this, https://youtu.be/_R0hbe8HZj0 and other CORE A gaming video, they are really helpful.

Dex-chan lover
Lol she's going to become one of those newbies with frame perfect tech skill but zero knowledge of neutral

@genderbenderbb2
On page 7, regarding the term that you translated as "tropics dweller", 熱帯 is not meant to be taken literally. 熱帯 is actually slang for ネット対戦. Basically, Aya is pointing out the bad habits senpai picked up from only playing online matches with lag.

I really love this, the fight of those two made me laugh so much and the seriousness is good and, also thanks for the chapter!

Users who are viewing this thread