Gimai Seikatsu - Vol. 4 Ch. 18.2

Dex-chan lover
girls dont do less-feminine image changes (= shorter hair) when they are getting closer to the guy they want. they do them when they break up or otherwise fail at getting the guy they want, partly as a cry for help, partly as self-punishment, partly as cope.
when they're getting closer they do more feminine image changes.

the realism argument doesn't work.

Supporter
One of the tags on this series is Romance. I call BS. Where is the romance?
Patience.

Both are now fully aware of their feelings for each other. All that remains is to find an event which causes those feelings to be exposed.

You know they're gonna find one of those.

Dex-chan lover
Define "contrived".
If it's a turn of events leading to drama that forces them to define their relationship and breaks the current pacing of them gradually getting closer together.
Especially if it's something absurd like the entire school turns against them and all their friends are in disbelief that our MCs didn't say anything to them so now they only have each other and that somehow leads to romance.

Supporter
If it's a turn of events leading to drama that forces them to define their relationship and breaks the current pacing of them gradually getting closer together.
Especially if it's something absurd like the entire school turns against them and all their friends are in disbelief that our MCs didn't say anything to them so now they only have each other and that somehow leads to romance.
What comes next is somewhat along these lines but also felt organic enough to me that I wouldn't call it contrived (not like the co-dependency arc a ways further down the line). You might disagree, though. And that's cool.

Dex-chan lover
What comes next is somewhat along these lines but also felt organic enough to me that I wouldn't call it contrived (not like the co-dependency arc a ways further down the line). You might disagree, though. And that's cool.
Well, I'm not an LN reader, so I guess I'll be here for another year or so...

Group Leader
Just in case anyone comes back here, the manga just got licensed by Yen Press (Pic attached) so we're gonna drop the manga. Please support the official release~
F_KUefbWgAA7mil.jpg

Dex-chan lover
What kind of retarded response is this. I'm reading a fictional story about step-siblings falling in love. The setting may be modern day but that doesn't mean the characters and scenarios are. Storytelling does not have to be "realistic" to be good. In fact being realistic can take away from good storytelling.

When it comes to good storytelling I care about good writing and character consistency. Nothing about her haircut is good from a writing perspective. It's just a stupid trope that is so unnecessary and dumb. Also looks ugly on her. You can show her slowly change through her words and actions you don't have to physically change her looks to fake growth. It's nothing more than wasted "shock" to show "something's different" instead of being more subtle in the writing. The fact the series went through this cliche just hurts it not help.

Seriously what has changed after the haircut? She calls him Nii-san now. The fact she did that was a bigger shock that started to change the nature of their relationship and was more interesting in showing a shift in her mentality. The haircut did nothing to show that. You would still get all that emotional weight regardless of her cutting her hair not because of it. Making her cut it is fucking pointless
It absolutely matters because the setting is in the real world. So good storytelling is tied to realism. Of course you can have realism with bad storytelling (I mean, just look at how horrible this manga has been...) but you can't have good storytelling without realism in this setting. I'll repeat it just in case. I never said this manga has good storytelling. I think it's terrible, but realism is a requirement in this context

Dex-chan lover
It absolutely matters because the setting is in the real world. So good storytelling is tied to realism. Of course you can have realism with bad storytelling (I mean, just look at how horrible this manga has been...) but you can't have good storytelling without realism in this setting. I'll repeat it just in case. I never said this manga has good storytelling. I think it's terrible, but realism is a requirement in this context
Disagree. There exist so many stories whose setting is in the real world but are unrealistic in their presentation. You don't need realism to tell a good story in a real world setting. You just need good writing and execution to tell a good story in a real world setting.

Supporter
Can anyone explain what Saki's on about on page 13? When she's talking about wanting her mum to come to both their meetings? Is it her saying she wants them to be proper siblings, or... ?

Double-page supporter
Oof now had to wait the slow a$$ official translation release

What a bummer, the latest update was in 8 months. I guess this is what manga landscape has become. When one release gets traction, it gets picked up and licensed

Users who are viewing this thread