Goodnight Punpun - Vol. 13 Ch. 147

Double-page supporter
What a read. Turned my brain into a mush. Poor Aiko.

this manga was euthanasia coaster until the very end n now im dead. ill never be the same again thenks punpun

Quite a fascinating manga though by the end Punpun became a selfish insufferable bastard.

All of his attempts at finding meaning, hope and purpose are based upon extrinsic value that society judges important. He strives to be relevant in these aspects.

Whereas inside, Punpun as an individual is an empty husk finding solace from isolation, misery and escapism as he descends into a spiral of decadence, rationalising and excusing his disturbed fantasies as a normal pursuit of adulthood, a proper way of life as shown by his family and society.

It is how one should love, selfishly and recklessly. Control, expose and dominate. Emotions are a burden, feelings are a lie.

The tragedy of Punpun is that his parents, relatives and friends displayed and re-enforced this type of worldview and perception repeatedly. They showed that this is how one manages ups and downs in a healthy life, how one succeeds and finds love.

Oyasumi Punpun was just full consistent build up, great thematic exploration accompanied with masterful artwork, truly top class.

Yet this mangas many emotional moments felt off, the heart was missing. The atmosphere was tinged with apathy and nihilism, more immersed in exploration of thought and mind. It could be due to Punpuns character or the nature of work itself. All i know is that my mind was happy, heart was meh...

Also, the ending here was just low on optimism and positivity.

Still, I am glad i got to read it, probably read it again later.

If you find tragedy funny, you would enjoy this.

It is an absurd fictional work. A Penguin noir.🐧 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Shit this was a ride... So many scenes made me tear up. One of the best mangas I've read. Made me question my life multiple times

This is definitely one of the stories that give a new perspective when you reread it, when you know what happens. I'll be coming back for a reread in a year or two.
Until then,

Goodnight, Punpun

I just finished reading this manga. Binge I think 9 volumes in one day. This manga made me feel very sad I teared up twice but, at the same time it was very comforting. I don’t know what to feel. Goodnight Punpun

Dex-chan lover
I went into this infamous manga thinking "it can't be that bad ppl are too emotional". Now I understand, it was that bad. However, I didn't cry myself. Not once but I had the most moments with this manga where I had to set aside my phone after reading a page and just say "shit..."

So ppl weren't overreacting. Half way into this manga I couldn't crack a smile or make fun of any dialogue it was just genuinely upsetting watching Punpun's degeneration and having some of that be weirdly relatable.

One small critique I have is that pegasus and his cult is utter dog shit and serves only to fluff up the chapter count and pacing with paragraphs and paragraphs of needless garbage. I'm sure there is a better way to include the math guy's last proclamation and the resolution to seki and shimizu's conflict without this trash cult. Could easily be shortened to 120 chapters or less without the cult.

Anyways, good...depressing manga.

This truly is the type of one of a kind manga you find and read before finally becoming a manga veteran...
As someone who has only read a couple of mangas before reading this one, a part of me wishes I would have waited because the bar is now set so high for me. This manga is a masterpiece no matter how much you’ve read. (I hope this doesn’t sound like i’m critiquing your comment or anything, I just wanted to add my own different perspective as someone who also fell in love with this manga)

the ending feels like a message. that even after all the miseries you went through and after all the sins you commited, you can somehow still live a "happy" life, even with regrets.

And that no matter the age and place, there could be people that will end up living a similar life as you did. And there's probably nothing you can do, outside of helping these people.

Had the Manager and Sachi not helped Punpun, he'd be dead by now. And I wonder if that would be a good or bad. Aiko would keep living with her mother never going to Kogashima. Sachi would never become a mangaka.

I honestly liked Punpun at the start, because he looked like a reflection of a possible future of mine, that I fear might happen to me too. But after that murder, I could only despise him. And now I don't know if I should be happy for him or not.

Honestly, I feel the worst for his dad, since Punpun left him all alone. That chapter where he came back and talked with him about stars was sweet and that scene where he told goodbye to him was the first time this manga made me really sad. At least he's living peacefully now (now that I think about it, it's weird how his color was different from the rest of the family...)

However the ending was, I'll never forget this manga ever. Honestly, I'd buy the colunes when I have the chance, since every chapter has a certain message or thought and I wish I could just randomly open up a volume and think about it...

Anyways, I made myself read the whole manga in a few days completely ignoring my studies... Oh well. Time to get back into the real world

Good night, Punpun

Dex-chan lover
yeah its been a long time since a series made me feel this way

but what i will say about this series is that it was pretty amazing mainly because it really didnt hold anything back and thats really something hard to come by anymore

lastly and i know i said it a few times already

Aiko is the only one i feel bad for she had it the worse and needed someone to save her but when it finally happened it was already way to late

while pretty much everyone else made it and happy in the end i cant help Aiko deserved a happy end also but again it was way to late for that

in the end im glad i came across this series by seeing some random ticktok video lol because i feel like its one of those series that at least need to be read through at least once

anyway enough from me on this series i need to hurry and watch or read something not so real and dark to help me get out of this feeling im currently having after reading this

Users who are viewing this thread