Goodnight Punpun

This may be the first manga that I genuinely think is amazing, and yet I cannot ever recommend to someone else.

Reading manga is a learning process. If it's a shit manga then you learn what shit manga generally are; if it's a great manga then you're in for a life lesson.
This is an absolutely amazing manga that teaches you the most despicable, depressing, and disgusting side of day-to-day life.

So, I don't know if failed to get the point, but I disliked this manga and honestly by the end, I hated punpun. No character has ever frustrated me and made me so angry before. There are some characters in this story that I related more too and understood. But punpun in my opinion is an awful person.
If there is anything I feel this story has given me is the desire to be better, kind of like what @lonelypotatoonabench wrote. So, I guess in that sense maybe this manga was a good read, as a kind of deterrent to become as shitty as punpun and a handful of other characters. Apologies if this offendes anyone

I’m in my last year of high school, and I’ll definitely go through a lot as an adult, but this manga made me realise how little everything really changes from childhood to adulthood. We’re all searching for that stability and small bit of happiness, and we can never get it on our own. I don’t feel empty, just contemplative, I’m glad this manga exists and I’m glad I read it and can read previous comments too. Im sure everyone is going through the same dreadful thing we call life, and I really hope you all make it, no matter what happens to you.

This story about an 11-year old boy growing into adulthood is not what you would expect out of a shounen, or a seinen for that matter. Its stance against what religion, happiness, and adults teach us is nihilistic in the darkest meaning of "nothing matters". However, I gave this 10 stars, and here's why. I'm not anything special, and the world won't ever know my identity for another generation or two. This book made me think about how much my interactions affect people, how important it is to be honest, and the impact that communication can have for a person.

This manga is very lonely, and triggered a depressive state to finish this manga to completion. But, after thinking about what the author intended, I believe that the author was showing us what would happen if we took the wrong path every time. We already know from countless mangas what will happen if we continuously make the right choice, but this one has a deeper meaning to it all. I think we all relate very closely with Punpun, and the "masturbatory" monologues that people seem to think happen in this manga are well thought out.

Every character knows what they must do, but don't do it because it doesn't seem reasonable enough. This book does not speak to the mind, but the heart, and shows us that our decisions are more than just reasonable interactions, but emotional ones, and if we don't communicate those emotions with others, we will end up making the wrong decision.

I think that this author really wanted to shape a character that felt real, and there are moments that the manga speaks directly to the reader and shows the author's intentions and frustrations, like when Sachi is arguing with the publisher.

Therefore, this is not a manga for the people who want an easy read. This is for someone in a rut, someone who has forgotten their place in life, like Punpun, and need to see what their life can turn out like if they push people away. So hold on tight to your loved ones, because this one will make you want someone around you for the rest of your life.

An anecdote from ethnicboy22
Seki's monologues
Seki's first true monologue when he became a teenager about how vapid and meaningless the world is hit really close to home because its the same type of garbage I spewed when I was younger.
Everything has no meaning or value- we only prescribe meaning and value to things to justify our behavior.
However, by its own self-defeating logic, it only leaves room for 2 seemingly clashing conclusions.
A. Stew in your edge and show the flaws in the perception of other people; If you indulge the monkey brain, you will have no moral or logical defense for your actions so this is the only way you can conceptually live your life through these values.
B. Give up and start at square one with the knowledge that it is meaningless- a life where you just indulge that monkey brain because well shit- it feels good when she touch my pp.

These answers however both suck and feel empty, and honestly I'm still thinking about what a "positive" takeaway from this can be other than
- Radical freedom- there is no right or wrong, so you can do whatever you want
- Although there is no objective morality, we have these emotions which are still felt by the self, and the "other".
EX: so while you could do an R Kelly roleplay with your mom, you probably still don't want to for some visceral emotional reason.
- True adaptability: You can ultimately change your mind about anything, you can change the fundamental beliefs your perception is formed off of (in a logical sense at the least.)

These takeaways create a philosophical model that rejects objective morality- for a mailable and more dependable subjective morality that can bend to benefit the most out of any given situation.

does this follow? lmk what yall think bout this

Dex-chan lover
very good story. dont think id ever read again. not cause the subject matter, more just wasnt for me. all the sad parts didnt hit for me and only at the big climax was i actually interested in what happened next. i guess i read manga for a detachment from reality, and this was very real in a great way.

Dex-chan lover
Don't read this if you're not in a good mental space.

However, this is undeniably a good read even if each chapter feels like a gut punch.

Dex-chan lover
One of the few great mangas I've ever finished (that was already completed) that no one spoiled me what happened. 10/10

Dex-chan lover
This left me confused as fuck man.. I really gotta pace myself

but at least I got Seki and Sachi, and that's all that matters

Aggregator gang
In my personal top 3.

It's a masterpiece.
I dont really know what to say, i feel like everything's as it should be.
Along with FMA, it's the only (completed) manga i've felt deserved to be bought.
And i bought it.

I would like to recommend it to everyone, but I know it's not a manga for everyone. And the author knows is and talks about it.
It's just a masterpiece of manga. From the art to the story.

This comic got me depressed... not! It simply probed my mind. It hurt me. And yet just like the characters here, build me up again after they break me. Punpun, I never saw your face but I wish I did.

Art (10/10): Ultra detailed, except for the main character (and trying to figure out why the mangaka decided to picture him like that is part of the fun). However, there are some very meaningful subtleties that really make it awesome for me: Pages 8 and 9 from chapter 116, for example, have the same panel repeated on the whole page, with the only difference being a brief change in her lips...

Character development (10/10): The world of punpun is remarkably small, with ever deepening characters -- be they likeable or not.

Story (10/10): The plot is VERY psychologically consistent, mixing symbols with concrete plot events. This is NOT a fairytale or a fantastical journey to find "nakama"...
I have to admit that chapters 100+ are more fast paced (in a good way) than the first chapters, so I highly recommend reading it until the end.

All in all 10/10 masterpiece, absolutely recommended

I've only read around 45 chapters or so and I'm surprised this doesn't have the 'Philosophical' tag.

Users who are viewing this thread