Gorae Byul - The Gyeongseong Mermaid

I believe the song Korea Ura by BEHWY resonates with this webtoon.
https://youtu.be/tdW8o1JWjcI <- song link

Wow, learn something new everyday.
1923関東大震災朝鮮人虐殺事件

I just want to say to the team that I am really thankful for this beautiful manhwa 😭😭😭😭

Dex-chan lover
this is super super good. thank you for translating this.

edit:
ok i literally read ahead in the raws and this story is absolutely fantastic, whoever you are, read this shit right now.

Read the latest raws and wth
did they make haesoos lil bro kill his mother and why did the ml dad kidnap him does he want him to marry the eye beautymark lady

Call me weird but i kinda want to ship soo-a with the bad dude... The guy who made her lose her voice..... I dunno why.

I quote it now. This is going to have a dorama indeed. I mean the plot, the scenary, the characters, everything is selling a amazing visual to watch! Thanks for the translation, love your project!

Dex-chan lover
@minoir you and me both... i feel awful about it but i can't help it. i still like eui-hyun but yeah.

i mentioned this somewhere before but 'hae-soo' translates to 'sea water' in korean, and soo-ah mentions she's a fish who needs sea water to breathe, so hMMMM...

@Misaki2578 i really REALLY want to talk about that with someone but i don't want to put it here, even under spoiler in case someone clicks it. let me know if you want to talk via PM 👀

I started reading it and it's so good
But then I saw the tragedy tag😭
Someone spoil me on the ending so I can see if I have to stop while i'm still in the early chapters
I can take heart aches as long as tge ending isn't😭

that’s an interesting point. how soo-ah is a fish, needing sea water (hae-soo) to live. i think throughout the story these two characters would help each other a lot and develop some sort of a relationship (don’t know what type of relationship that is) where they would seek understanding and a common ground. i don’t know which version of the little mermaid the author is following.
but in the original (from what i read in wiki) the prince and the mermaid didn’t technically end up together. just saying lol.

@Onyom The story is still ongoing, but expect more tragedy. There is a lot of interesting development in later chapters though!

@crimony @minoir Fellow Haesoo x Soo-a supporter here! That's a good point about the fish and sea water analogy regarding Soo-a and Haesoo. It's definitely intentional that Haesoo was named sea water, but not sure if it was purely to refer to his role as the sea witch in the story (who takes away mermaid's voice) or that it also implies a future connection with Soo-a. I also think that Haesoo and Soo-a will find common ground and help each other later on. The author actually posted a drawing on her Twitter of Soo-a wearing Eui-hyun's jacket and holding the opium that Haesoo gave her. I think that's super symbolic that both men will play a huge role in her story.

Dex-chan lover
@sheruchan @XxAn0nyxX yeah I wonder if it's the kind of story where she ends up with neither (honestly as i'm reading, it just feels like there's death flags everywhere), but both of them fall in love with her and somewhat vice versa? with how brutally this story illustrates the Japanese occupation, it's hard to imagine an ending that emphasizes a romantic 'happily-ever-after.'

if i have to define the relationship between the three, i see Soo-ah as the bridge between Eui-hyun's idealism and Hae-soo's realism (possibly cynicism). example in spoiler:

if we think about the scene where she lost her voice, she rushed to the inn carelessly because she wanted to see Eui-hyun again, even if the chance was slim. it was a romantic, hopeful whim that freed her from her mundane, restrictive daily life. but when she got there, she was faced with harsh reality--a traumatic near death experience thanks to Hae-soo.

if Soo-ah represents Joseon itself, then she will continue to struggle between the idealistic hope of revolutionaries (Eui-hyun) and the crushing reality of the occupation (Hae-soo). her concern, the country's concern, is survival. how do you straddle the line between these two concepts in order to survive? or is it possible to find common ground and not only live, but thrive? Eui-hyun and Hae-soo have already changed Soo-ah, but as she gains her voice back, she'll change them too.

this was a lot of word vomit to basically just say i'm excited to see what happens next hah.

One of the more ‘serious’ plots and so far it’s nicely developing. Even when we want Liberty it comes with such a harsh price back then. I personally don’t think that the romance can last long if they develop in the future. All these people are putting their lives for liberty. That kind of life doesn’t allow you to have a family and such even to fall in love must be a short relationship because deep down they know that they will probably not be here anymore.

Though I don’t agree what has transpired against our fl and there is no justification for that action. But, it’s nice to see two sides of the coin. Their constant reminders of what they had done but also the reminder that she might be a danger.

Anyway, thank you for translating this comic. I really do appreciate it, allowing me to read a good story .

The emotions thismade me feel is so real The moment she wanted to kill the person who took her voice away. rage that this made me feel was if, I myself wished to do so. Love it. Please keep updating. The art,the dialogues the plot The emotions are just too good. Even if gets difficult to understand the conflicts regarding that era in great deal.. I wish to continue knowing about it

So I read the raws and this is what happens

Soo-ah and Eui-hyun(?) Will go on a date(i think). Also, idk but i translated a part there and Eui-hyun said to Soo-ah "Don't go, I hate it" but i really dont know why he said that but it was the best thing. But before that we all know someone was spying at them. So the one spying was Eui-hyun's father's servant, the glasses guy. Then the servant told the father, later on the spy would infiltrate the tea house and find the bombs. He would later on..... kill the young girl, the child that likes hae-soo. But eventually later on I think she's his little sister, idk.

Then, the spy will be killed by the father, and he reported the teahouse to the japanese police. Later on a raid happens, and the mother with the baby goes to the students house. While Soo-ah and Hae-soo goes together on the mountains and ends up to a monk temple. There a monk helps them, btw Hae-soo is injured. Idk what happens to the others but i think they're safe somehow. Now Eui-hyun is captured by his father and is imprisoned. He is also tortured. Later on Hae-soo's part of story is told, while he is bed-ridden and is having nightmares.

Eui-hyun surrenders to his fathers wishes and i think will be married to the japanese girl. I don't understand korean but based on the illustration that is happening. Actually, before he surrendered, he escaped the house and ran to the tea house only to find the door destroyed and some blood on the floor. That was from the little girl.

Then on the latest chapter I read, Soo-ah gives a good beating to the injured Hae-soo. Idk why but they had a very serious talk and I even became emotional even if i didnt understood what was really happening.

This is a really long spoiler wews

Users who are viewing this thread