Gorae Byul - The Gyeongseong Mermaid

Holy cow. The relationship dynamics are sooo good. It's complex and tragic.

I understood why Haesoo took the precautions he did. Any sort of misstep could have been disastrous, especially given the fact that their enemy was the Japanese people. In real life, the Japanese were known to commit many cruel brutalities during their occupation of east Asian countries. My grandparents and my friends' grandparents have suffered at the hands of the Japanese soldiers. So I empathize a lot for their liberation and understand that they would do anything to free Korea.

But at the same time, I felt the rage of of the FL. She did nothing wrong but she had to suffer because of someone else's carelessness and she couldn't even get revenge.

wowow this webtoon really captures the dynamic of insurgencies, occupation and the people. people are so complex, yet so simple. the moon really is just as beautiful no matter where you are, the real treacheries are grounded.

10/10 serious,capitivating, and painful.

Oh Help me! I know this is wrong! But I really want to ship Haesoo and Sooah xD After Haesoo kinda expressed himself and crying like that while Sooah is beating him, they kinda tone it down the hate and helps each other. I love Angsty ship so yep xD

@minoir You're not the only one. There are definitely Haesoo x Soo-a shippers out there, even in the Korean fandom. I think their dynamic is so intriguing and angsty. I think Haesoo was plagued by guilt for what he did to Soo-a all this time and that emotional breakdown he had in front of Soo-a was his catharsis for that.

If anyone cares to know, MAL added the manhwa into their database :)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/131338/Gorae_Byul__The_Gyeongseong_Mermaid

@Marulodi I have major spoilers summarized under the tag about what happens up until the latest raws.

Eventually, Euihyun's father's lackeys storm Euihyun's place and they forcefully take him back home. Euihyun's father has called the cops on Gorae Byul. Soo-a is able to escape the lackeys and warns everyone at Gorae Byul about the impending raid. Mrs. Soon-im is arrested, Haesoo and Soo-a escape together, Yeongyeong and her baby get separated from her brother, Insung, during the escape.

Haesoo gets shot during the escape, but he and Soo-a are able to make it out of the city before he collapses from exhaustion from blood loss. It's implied that Haesoo was resolved to die at that moment, but Soo-a chooses to bandage him up and she helps him walk the rest of the way to their "safehouse", which is a temple. The temple monk knows Haesoo.

The temple monk and Soo-a are able to save Haesoo. Soo-a gives Haesoo some of the opium he originally gave her to ease his pain during the treatment. As Haesoo sleeps to recover from his wound, several chapters are then dedicated to flashbacks explaining his past, from his life in Russia to his life in Korea. Long story short, the Japanese raided their village and killed his parents. It's implied that his brother was coerced to stab their own mother, and his brother commits suicide after the raid. Haesoo and Nokjoo make their way to Korea, where they are taken in by Mrs. Soon-im and her American husband. We also see how Haesoo and Euihyun first met. Haesoo was initially skeptical of Euihyun, but after some incidents, he starts trusting Euihyun more.

Fast forward to the present, Haesoo finally wakes up after several days of sleep. Yeongyeong has taken refuge at a monastery with the help of Lee Gun. She is eventually reunited with the other rebels and her brother, who lost an eye during the escape. It's implied that Euihyun is probably planning revenge against his father, but he pretends to be a filial son for the time being and agrees to the engagement with Haruko.

Wanted posters are out for Haesoo, Soo-a, and Yeongyeong. Haesoo and Soo-a end up taking refuge at the temple over the entire winter (it was autumn when Gorae Byul fell). Over the course of several months, their relationship dynamic slowly changes as Soo-a learns more about Haesoo and she starts to see him more as a "person". Haesoo teaches Soo-a how to shoot a gun during this time. It is implied that Haesoo is growing fond of Soo-a. 😍

Eventually, Haesoo and Soo-a learn about Euihyun's engagement to Haruko through a newspaper. Haesoo doesn't think Euihyun would betray them, but nonetheless feels like he is missing something. He tells the monk that he plans to investigate for himself if Euihyun has betrayed them or not. If Euihyun has, then Haesoo plans to kill him. Soo-a overhears the conversation and makes her own plans. By this time, winter is almost over and spring is coming soon.

In the latest raws, Soo-a has left the temple on her own and has taken Haesoo's clothes and gun with her. She left a letter at the temple for Haesoo/the monk to find. She wants to find Euihyun before Haesoo does. I think we are getting really close to seeing the prologue scene.

Hope that will satisfy your curiosity until the next chapter gets uploaded. 😘 Gorae Byul has some of the best storytelling out of any comic I've read.

This manhwa is a masterpiece! Truly beautiful. Tbh, story with pacing like this will easily swoop me in but with this one I always ended up wanting more. I really love how they use analogies about fish, water, and a mermaid makes the narrative 1000x more beautiful. Istg it may sounds like I exaggerated, but simply because it is that good! I didn't go through an oppresive time like them, but somehow I could capture all of their emotion perfectly, I understand each of their character motive. This is truly a very-well written story also the art is just *mwah* amazing! //chef's kiss// definitely a 100/10

@sheruchan OMG THANKS FOR SPOILING ME. I really love this webtoon but i can't understand the raw.. it's so frustrating but you just saved me! Oww i kinda get 2nd ML syndrome here

The story is so beautiful, im just really in love with the plot ! Can anyone know the end of the story (and spoil me in private) or where i can find the end ?

Users who are viewing this thread