Grancrest Senki

Contributor
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-06-16/makoto-yotsuba-record-of-grancrest-war-manga-ends-on-june-28/.147904

It pains me so much that this was cancelled, the different characterisations of characters like Theo and the differing way certain events played out was intriguing, really sad this will never be completed when it was so enjoyable. When I watched the anime I really did not understand when people lamented Theo was the MC, yes Siluca was badass and very capable, but the reactions people had more closely matches what would have expected to be the reaction to the characterisation of Theo in this manga rather than the anime, for fuck sakes instead of doing paperwork like he does in that one scene in the anime, he loiters inside his room admiring a hat, which imo really changes his characterisation quite a bit by making him more dependant on SIluca for even the most basic of administrative matters... Fuck the publisher for greenlighting it when the source-material was already done and the big-ticket adaption was nearing its end, why even do that just do cancel it in the middle of the story and piss fans off? Also, fuck Viz for making it impossible to buy the manga outside the US, how am I supposed to support authors if their shit is not available for purchase in the first place?

Dex-chan lover
From what I can gather this is a good story translated by incompetent morons who had some compulsion to keep changing names all over the fucking place.

However apparently there is a lot of weird shit going on with this that I'm not sure I entirely follow. Like the fact that I started reading this when it showed up in a "Last Updated" search (which is rare for me) but it was last updated 2 years ago. Another language maybe? Also no comments for tons of the earlier chapters, which is abnormal, but then I have no idea how other people even progress through manga, and their ways are alien and unfathomable to me.
In any case, if this was dropped by the incompetent fools, that is a good thing. Maybe someone consistent can pick it up again, though if they did, they'd probably go by the last iterations of the names rather than the first. ¬_¬

Well whatever.
It was fun, even if I was swearing at the translators for most of the duration.

The translation isn't cancelled, the official English translation is just out there and already completed. Volume 7 is appearently the last one, and it's already in English.

If you guys want to see the complete story just watch the anime with the same name it was produced by A-1 Pictures and the quality was pretty good

Did this get axed? I know not all the chapters are on here but I read the rest of the other 11 chapters not on this site. It left is super open ended so I assume it's dead now?

Edit: oh nevermind, I just realized it's an LN adaption so I guess it just got the Spice & Wolf treatment and stopped halfway through

I don’t like it. It has a fun way of making me not care about any of the characters at all. Theo is nice. And that is about all. Not to mention that the only person given an extensive background is the woman mage, who I forgot the name of despite literally just reading all of it, and it’s not even fleshed out at all. Nor does it give her substantial character motivation that allows the reader to get invested in her action. We get glimpses of Theo’s backstory, but it’s just that, glimpses. I don’t care about his goal of saving his homeland because I don’t know jack shit about his homeland. You don’t even get to see any of it. It’s bland, boring, and has a knack for not giving any of the characters good motivation or relationships with other characters.
One time, this dude dies in battle, and Theo gets real sad and is like “Oh no (insert name)!” And I literally didn’t know who he was or what Theo’s relationship to him was.
Its just not enjoyable. And take it from someone who has read all the chapters, skip out on this one. Save yourself the time.

If there's one thing i fucking hate, it's canned adaptations.
Adaptation of a novel by the author of chronicles of lodoss, too.. talk about disrespect...

but yeah, gotta concede, it wasnt great. i just snorted it because i'm low on decent-ish fantasy mangas.
/i havent read the novel yet, just in case, maybe it's shit too/
IT STARTS GOOD, with the progressive introduction of the challenges of not only higher stake battles, but also with the tasks of handling the castles and their territories. it then progresses as politics begin to come in clutch... but then...

Basically the story goes into overdrive halfway through volume 5. (yeah it got axed, surprised?)
The big battle that could have been avoided if the mage that's also the heroine's dad wasnt a complete overly cautious fucktard...

Gets a splendid deus ex machina.

(that battle happens as a siege on a completely retarded castle design with three "gated" entrances, perched on a gigantic cliff that somehow gets no fucking defensive advantage whatsoever, no sea access and nobody ever thinks of blowing at least the front or the side accesses or have the decency of adding drawbriges, but instead has 6 "gates" that get blasted off by magical crossbow bolts, whose destructive power is on par with a main battle tank at zero cost to the shooter because crests can be used as explosive runes that are that fucking cheated)

ahem. that cheap ass deus ex machina turns to be...

The man whom Siluca was promised to, Mr womanizer, whom siluca saved and now actively runs from, waltzes in with heavy cavalry and almost claps the assault leader Marrine, whom siluca also saved but couldnt fucking get help from because it would "weaken" her position.
But doesnt because he's nice (and they were supposed to marry, as cousins. nice.) and said OP crossbows arent even deployed to counter, too.

this shit just pissed me off. first we get the super tearjerked, stretched to oblivion tragic death of the sister (who gets litterally CUT from there on out, appearing once or twice)
That gets cancelled by the priest that none of the characters like or want, that just fucking came in because "god is good".

WHY! fucking WHY! if she's done a massive sacrifice to save one day, either leave it as is, or admit that her suicide run left her diminished... idk, loosing the tatooed arm for instance.
of course they also thank the priest by telling her to fuck off. of course.

because they're "scientists" opposing their knowledge to the belief that their power could be "godlike" despite never fucking explaining what "chaos" is. you know, the fuel for the crests and the magic of this world. no, that doesnt matter. the story revolves about siluca being a god tier worm who can chow several weeks (or months) worth of books in 8 days but there's no room to expand the lore or a scientific undestanding of the magic.

priest who's also there in the latter volumes, with the sister, appearing as a token...

You cant even begin to describe how crappy the last two volumes get. Pacing takes a hike to fit the final fight that ends up so telegraphied it's boring to tears.
Yeah let's introduce a motherly character (that fragment was great and gave me some false hopes goddamnit) that's also written like vin diesel, as a sacrifice to awake a corrupted hero turned big bad evil demon.
then the whole things goes off like a crate of wet tnt.
badabing, badaboom, open ending with nothing ever happening about the couple's goal to save that island from the beginning. not that the original pacing would've allowed that to happen before book 30...
we get gratuitous sex scenes between some dude and the witch that's the big bad #1 of the last volume for the effort of going through the slog.

if you had the courage to go through my rant, here's a cookie. sorry, needed to vent.

The ln author acknowledges that people only like isekai and that classic fantasy isnt attractive anymore...honestly if you're going to allow an adaptation like that, you deserved to have it axed...

Users who are viewing this thread