Gyakkou Shita Akuyaku Reijou wa, Naze ka Maryoku wo Ushinattanode Shinsou no Reijou ni Narimasu - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
What I don't get is how did they managed to kill her.
She was supposed to have mana like that of an army, she should have been able to kill all the attackers easily, if not kill at least defend herself.
Also if shge attacked the Saint how is the Saint not dead? An attack with the power of a whole army behind it and the Saint survived?

This story does not makes sense.

Dex-chan lover
lol, author could've given her oatmeal or cream of wheat style porridge or anything, but no. Clearly the best thing is to have this pseudo-western magic fantasy land discover the glorious fantastical perfection of supreme Nippon rice porridge. And she's going to get fish and vegetables that are good for her digestion and what not. I swear if she ends up on a totally Japanese diet as an excuse to revolutionize this fantasy setting's culinary tradition to reflect the superiority of Japanese cooking I might lose it.

Dex-chan lover
lol, author could've given her oatmeal or cream of wheat style porridge or anything, but no. Clearly the best thing is to have this pseudo-western magic fantasy land discover the glorious fantastical perfection of supreme Nippon rice porridge. And she's going to get fish and vegetables that are good for her digestion and what not. I swear if she ends up on a totally Japanese diet as an excuse to revolutionize this fantasy setting's culinary tradition to reflect the superiority of Japanese cooking I might lose it.
It could have been a class thing too, but no it had to be rice from the magical Orient. Everytime. As if rice is this rare impossible to cultivate ambrosia that only exists in Nippon. If a Latin author had to include a line about how incredible tortillas are or an Italian on the wonders of pasta in everything they wrote, how ridiculous would they look?

Dex-chan lover
Don't ask peaches from an apple tree.

Dex-chan lover
Don't ask peaches from an apple tree.

Which would be fair if I wasn't standing in a peach orchard. Nothing about the setting implies any amount of Japanese influence over it. It is stock standard pseudo-European swords & sorcery setting 1A. Given that, why should I expect that any specific aspect of it would suddenly be extremely Japanese to the exclusion of basically everything else?

It would be like setting a story in a very obvious feudal Japan, with samurai and warlords, and it being an isolationist island kingdom and obvious rice paddies or fishery harbors in the background. Only to have a character who is obviously similarly Japanese inspired himself open up his bento to reveal Shepherd's Pie and Churros with no explanation beyond being an opportunity to gush about how good they are.

In the end it's not a huge deal. My annoyance/bemusement is mostly because this is not the first, second, third, or even fourth time I've seen this sort of thing play out in a series, where non-Japanese characters are given often-inexplicible Japanese food so they can gush about how great it is. It's just a weird sort of recurring diversion to notice how heavily some authors seem to want to make a point about their perception of the superiority of glorious Nihongo cooking even when it seems out of place (and unnecessary). And this isn't even me dunking on Japanese cooking. Some of it is great. It just doesn't really fit in a story that is not Japanese in the slightest other than the fact that it's written by a Japanese author.

Dex-chan lover
Which would be fair if I wasn't standing in a peach orchard. Nothing about the setting implies any amount of Japanese influence over it. It is stock standard pseudo-European swords & sorcery setting 1A. Given that, why should I expect that any specific aspect of it would suddenly be extremely Japanese to the exclusion of basically everything else?

It would be like setting a story in a very obvious feudal Japan, with samurai and warlords, and it being an isolationist island kingdom and obvious rice paddies or fishery harbors in the background. Only to have a character who is obviously similarly Japanese inspired himself open up his bento to reveal Shepherd's Pie and Churros with no explanation beyond being an opportunity to gush about how good they are.

In the end it's not a huge deal. My annoyance/bemusement is mostly because this is not the first, second, third, or even fourth time I've seen this sort of thing play out in a series, where non-Japanese characters are given often-inexplicible Japanese food so they can gush about how great it is. It's just a weird sort of recurring diversion to notice how heavily some authors seem to want to make a point about their perception of the superiority of glorious Nihongo cooking even when it seems out of place (and unnecessary). And this isn't even me dunking on Japanese cooking. Some of it is great. It just doesn't really fit in a story that is not Japanese in the slightest other than the fact that it's written by a Japanese author.
You missed my point. Which is fair because I didn't really explained.
What I meant and should have said is that no matter how much you invest yourself into other cultures to create "another world", you will always come back to the starting point, your own culture. Also Japanese cuisine is richer than most occidental ones.
And rice is not exclusive to Japan. They are not even the leader in production worldwide, they barely made it to the top ten.

And well if you keep reading you'll learn that Samuel (the chef) is actually reincarnated, he literally got into his feet to pry to jar of soy beans.

Dex-chan lover
Do not be fooled, rice porridge tastes like dog water that came from a hose that was left in direct sunlight
Evidently, you don't cook. ;)
What I don't get is how did they managed to kill her.
She was supposed to have mana like that of an army, she should have been able to kill all the attackers easily, if not kill at least defend herself.
Also if shge attacked the Saint how is the Saint not dead? An attack with the power of a whole army behind it and the Saint survived?

This story does not makes sense.
Experience, or lack thereof. You can give anyone a fully blinged rifle, but without training, they still won't be able to bean a target in the head at 400 yards. She may have power, but she's never been in a fight before because she's been sheltered her entire life. As powerful as she was, did she even receive any education or training to use her powers in a combat situation? If she died so easily, I rather think not.

That said, her so-called "friends" are lucky she didn't lash out in a fit of rage when they backstabbed her, or she could very well have annihilated them and that entire wing if she lost control.

Dex-chan lover
Evidently, you don't cook. ;)

Experience, or lack thereof. You can give anyone a fully blinged rifle, but without training, they still won't be able to bean a target in the head at 400 yards. She may have power, but she's never been in a fight before because she's been sheltered her entire life. As powerful as she was, did she even receive any education or training to use her powers in a combat situation? If she died so easily, I rather think not.

That said, her so-called "friends" are lucky she didn't lash out in a fit of rage when they backstabbed her, or she could very well have annihilated them and that entire wing if she lost control.
Except she has training from the school and was in the carriage for being expelled after attacking the other girl with spells...
The point of the school was for them to learn to use their magic after all and she wouldn't have been in that situation if she didn't know how to use her magic to attack other people.

As it goes her death was just something that makes no sense for the sake of the story.

Dex-chan lover
Except she has training from the school and was in the carriage for being expelled after attacking the other girl with spells...
The point of the school was for them to learn to use their magic after all and she wouldn't have been in that situation if she didn't know how to use her magic to attack other people.

As it goes her death was just something that makes no sense for the sake of the story.
And if she were actually being trained to be a Knight or a Court Magician, I'd actually agree with you. Instead, her training as a noble lady was more akin to being a member of high society, and bridal training to be Queen; someone to be protected, and not be one of the protectors on the front lines, or to be used as a tactical nuke. High magic pool doesn't mean that all she will be taught is offensive magic either. Even if she was taught some, she still choked and failed to pull the trigger because of lack of actual experience, whether because she hesitated, or it suddenly dawned on her she was about to take a man's life and froze. Even rookie soldiers and cops are known to experience similar.

Looking at her conduct in later chapters, she has not been out in the world at all, and hasn't even experienced the public market until his highness snuck her out. I doubt she's even been out on bivuac before to learn how to fight in the field, or she'd at least be familiar with simpler foods outside of her own home's kitchen. Her own "friends" weren't even afraid of what she might do to them despite knowing how large her mana pool was, either because they were that brainless, or they knew she wouldn't be able to strike at them if they came forward.

I will admit however that her death if planned, didn't really make any sense, unless it was a completely random incident of banditry. If there was any reason behind it, then they'll likely cover it later. Otherwise it's still possible to assume the latter.

Dex-chan lover
And if she were actually being trained to be a Knight or a Court Magician, I'd actually agree with you. Instead, her training as a noble lady was more akin to being a member of high society, and bridal training to be Queen; someone to be protected, and not be one of the protectors on the front lines, or to be used as a tactical nuke. High magic pool doesn't mean that all she will be taught is offensive magic either. Even if she was taught some, she still choked and failed to pull the trigger because of lack of actual experience, whether because she hesitated, or it suddenly dawned on her she was about to take a man's life and froze. Even rookie soldiers and cops are known to experience similar.

Looking at her conduct in later chapters, she has not been out in the world at all, and hasn't even experienced the public market until his highness snuck her out. I doubt she's even been out on bivuac before to learn how to fight in the field, or she'd at least be familiar with simpler foods outside of her own home's kitchen. Her own "friends" weren't even afraid of what she might do to them despite knowing how large her mana pool was, either because they were that brainless, or they knew she wouldn't be able to strike at them if they came forward.

I will admit however that her death if planned, didn't really make any sense, unless it was a completely random incident of banditry. If there was any reason behind it, then they'll likely cover it later. Otherwise it's still possible to assume the latter.
You are just making excuses....
Again she was shown to be able to fight and use magic, that by itself should make the whole event impossible doesn't matter any other excuse.
There is no changing it as the story has already gone over the case, I am just pointing out how contrived the events that lead to the story happening are.

Dex-chan lover
You are just making excuses....
Again she was shown to be able to fight and use magic, that by itself should make the whole event impossible doesn't matter any other excuse.
There is no changing it as the story has already gone over the case, I am just pointing out how contrived the events that lead to the story happening are.
I saw someone lashing out similar to picking up a convenient letter opener and acting on their anger, not with what they were taught, or there would've been a hundred different other ways she could've used her water magic to kill the saintess outright, instead of a slower way where they could still save her life. All I'm doing is pointing out what I observed, and why. If you don't think so, then let's just agree to disagree. If it turns out differently later, then fine.

Users who are viewing this thread