Haiena-chan ni Nerawarete - Ch. 22

What does this have to do with scanlation quality? A so-called "sniper" can theoretically produce a higher quality scanlation than the one that was doing it first-- not that I think that's the case here.
I don't see much overlap between people who are competent translators, people don't care about other translator groups, and people who want to put out the best quality chapters at the fastest pace possible. Case in point: I could probably snipe "How About R15" right now, what with the group dragging its feet despite my help. But, you know, I don't fit all three of the above criteria. I have a certain amount of pride in what I do, so I extend a basic level of decency to others who do it too.

If you're putting out chapters faster, chances are, you're cutting corners somewhere. It's been my experience, and it continues to be the norm for snipes.

Yup, and looks like deepl translated one with a pinch of editing. Haven't gotten pronouns right either, since girl refers to male lead "them". It's also uploader's (RedEric7) first and only submission, so it's clearly a malicious snipe.
I just wanted to make a translation of my favorite manga on this site. I'm not the best translator but I really wanted to give it a go. I didn't mean anything malicious by it, but if it is an issue i'm fine with deleting it.

I don't see much overlap between people who are competent translators, people don't care about other translator groups, and people who want to put out the best quality chapters at the fastest pace possible. Case in point: I could probably snipe "How About R15" right now, what with the group dragging its feet despite my help. But, you know, I don't fit all three of the above criteria. I have a certain amount of pride in what I do, so I extend a basic level of decency to others who do it too.

If you're putting out chapters faster, chances are, you're cutting corners somewhere. It's been my experience, and it continues to be the norm for snipes.
I'm really sorry, I'm relatively new to this manga site so, I don't know there were rules on translating like this.

Group Leader
I just wanted to make a translation of my favorite manga on this site. I'm not the best translator but I really wanted to give it a go. I didn't mean anything malicious by it, but if it is an issue i'm fine with deleting it.
Eric, please don't get discouraged. I know the feeling and if you look at my previous comment in this thread I was in a similar position to yourself. Please continue to try and refine your translation abilities and look for a series you're interested in that hasn't yet had anyone work on it.

If you've got questions please feel free to shoot Me a DM. I'm still new to this hobby myself and I know how easy it is to get discouraged and feel like you want to just quit.

Dex-chan lover
She's a big girl
For you
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really sorry, I'm relatively new to this manga site so, I don't know there were rules on translating like this.
Nobody's really that upset. Think of it kind of like putting stuff in your cart at the grocery store: It's not illegal for me to take it or anything. But I think we'd both agree it's not very polite unless the guy has no intention of buying the thing, so to speak. I'm sure there are plenty of really good, abandoned manga out there just waiting to be done.

Dex-chan lover
I don't see much overlap between people who are competent translators, people don't care about other translator groups, and people who want to put out the best quality chapters at the fastest pace possible.
I'm not concerned about whether that overlap is normal-- I even called the case I brought up "theoretical" and not applicable to this case. It may truly be as rare as you're suggesting.

I'm maintaining, however, that the fact that the overlap exists at all is one of many reasons to take pause about chafing over "sniping" in its own right. The issue with sniping with a poor translation is, more than anything, that you've rendered a poor translation-- which is always the problem with bad scanlations, snipe or not.

The concrete part of the taboo isn't anything more than "calling dibs", and there's not even any specification about how long those dibs last. I mean, the "normal" English group for your example manga hasn't updated in two weeks, which I personally don't think is egregious, and it might even be that they make it a point to update that manga bi-weekly. Maybe the manga itself is bi-weekly.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I’d comment on her size but everyone already said what needed to be said.

I want to mention that it’s a cute detail that her palms are sweaty, she is really just misunderstood (but also horny)
not only that but her knees are weak and no doubt her arms are heavy
good thing she didnt have moms spaghetti
but upside on the service she looks calm and ready.
.....thats all it got

Nobody's really that upset. Think of it kind of like putting stuff in your cart at the grocery store: It's not illegal for me to take it or anything. But I think we'd both agree it's not very polite unless the guy has no intention of buying the thing, so to speak. I'm sure there are plenty of really good, abandoned manga out there just waiting to be done.
Got it, again really sorry.

I'm maintaining, however, that the fact that the overlap exists at all is one of many reasons to take pause about chafing over "sniping" in its own right. The issue with sniping with a poor translation is, more than anything, that you've rendered a poor translation-- which is always the problem with bad scanlations, snipe or not.
The other problem is the other group, who has presumably been translating this just fine, now loses attention because you jumped the gun and posted first. Do that enough, and even I'd drop a manga, regardless of the quality of the other scan. Hell, I have dropped a manga, regardless of the quality. Thankfully, the story itself tanked shortly after, so it was happening either way, but if it hadn't, it'd be a loss for anyone following it.

I mean, the "normal" English group for your example manga hasn't updated in two weeks, which I personally don't think is egregious, and it might even be that they make it a point to update that manga bi-weekly. Maybe the manga itself is bi-weekly.
That's two weeks to upload after I started helping, and I'm guesstimating at least another before the next chapter is even close to done. They don't make a point of updating bi-weekly, and the manga is a weekly one. Their motto, which they made a point of drilling into me the first day I collabed, was "We don't do deadlines. We update whenever we want".

Before I showed up, they updated this weekly manga monthly. As it stands, the entire rest of the volume is translated and proofread.

Dex-chan lover
The other problem is the other group, who has presumably been translating this just fine
How fine is "just fine", and why should it be presumed-for-argument that they're translating "just fine" in a scene that anyone with a computer can enter-- regardless of skill?

Do that enough, and even I'd drop a manga, regardless of the quality of the other scan.
Personally? I could only sympathize with that if it turned out that the Japanese was so simple to translate that there was never any chance of substantially different translations being produced. Something that's hardly ever the case.

That's two weeks to upload after I started helping, and I'm guesstimating at least another before the next chapter is even close to done. They don't make a point of updating bi-weekly, and the manga is a weekly one. Their motto, which they made a point of drilling into me the first day I collabed, was "We don't do deadlines. We update whenever we want".
And most scanlator groups do that. And they're not at all necessarily moving at whatever pace they're moving to scanlate a chapter because they want to turn out quality work-- that desire is one out of many possible and non-mutually exclusive reasons as to why they'd go slow and/or irregular, and there's no hard feelings at any rate because making unofficial scanlations is almost certainly not their job.

Thus, my other considerations. There's just so much about the concerns accompanying the production and consumption of scanlations, that make this mostly vague concept of "dibs" excessively oppressive and even exploitable if it's unwaveringly and conscientiously adhered to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread