Hana ni Arashi - Vol. 8 Ch. 88 - Nanoha's path

Contributor
@ihatecreditpages I think it's pretty disingenuous to say that we're going to take until 2023 to catch up to the current raws. We've made it abundantly clear that we work with volume raws, which means that once we finish the latest volume, we have no choice but to go on hiatus until the next volume releases. Our intent has been and continues to be for us to complete each volume before the release of the next. We are still very comfortably within that time frame.

Regarding if we rushed the chapter out - yeah, of course. It was entirely my decision to try and get it out quickly, because I don't like seeing the effort the translator put in go to waste. In that sense, sniping with low quality releases is undeniably an effective way to strongarm scanlators into releasing quickly. It also makes me drop whatever I'm doing, including working on other series at times, but I don't think anyone really cares about that. I can't really deter you from doing it in the future, either, aside from letting you know that you're also running the risk of making scanlators drop series entirely.

Anyway, your script was pretty good. It'd be pretty cool if you looked into joining a group and picking up a manhua or something. In my admittedly very biased opinion, I think it'd be a better use of your time than sniping active series.

@igenetycs Well, my apologies, but I was only being realistic considering how in the past 7-8 months only 3 chapters have been released (4 with today's). I appreciate both your team's translations and the economical effort behind buying the raws... but at the same time I don't think a 10-page/chapter series can really stand being released once per month. There's simply not enough content in each chapter to make up for that.

I get your point, however - so I'll refrain from posting new chapters for the time being. But once you finish with this volume I'll think about what to do. I might be overoptimistic but my concerns mostly lie on this being a pretty good yuri that could easily be picked-up by Seven Seas or Yen Press, but considering how those companies check the engagement with the scanlation community before deciding on that, I am afraid that the long-breaks hurt those chances.

Nevertheless, I'll contact you beforehand if I decide to do that - after all I don't want you to drop this or other series since that would hurt the community even more.

Thanks for your comments and keep up the good work.

@ihatecreditpages

The phone ap that publishes this manga in only accessible in Japan. This means I have to get the volumes once they're compiled and released, which happens every 6 months. For 5 of those "7-8 months", the reason we didn't release any chapters is because we were already caught up to the raws. We stopped releasing chapters after 84 because 85 didn't come out until November.

You may argue that if Volume 8 came out in November, then we could've completed it by now. That's true. In the past we've done that. For Volumes 6 and 7, we finished releasing them within 6 weeks of their publication. This requires a lot of work, for me and especially for the editor (I don't know specifically how long it took, since I'm incapable of using photoshop, but you should have some idea. Compare our release to yours. Really look at all the details, and think about how much work went into making it look as good as it does). We both have other projects we're working on, and other things going on that we have to put aside to rush the volume out. And the benefit of focusing all that effort into rushing the volume out is... not much. We have to wait for the next volume anyways. It's a question of waiting now or waiting later.

I cannot read Chapter 98 until the next volume comes out in May. There's no changing that, no matter how quickly we release this volume.

You can read Chinese. You can write English lines much better than the vast majority of fan translators. You can edit images. I can't tell you what to do with your time, but if I were you, instead of using shitty watermarked Chinese scanlations to release a crappy rush-job of a series that already has a group working on it, I'd consider finding some manhua to really work on. There must be a bunch of good ones out there completely inaccessible to English readers that could use someone like you.

@refore

For it is a very well-known rule of translators circle if there is an active translators' group (in this web-site of a distinct language) working over the series, no one should interfere them.

@LadyTyche

Perhaps; however, for such an experiments there's plenty of other untranslated and utterly unknown manga at which one might proceed the work of.

@schuyguy @igenetycs

Please don't be like that, you are doing great work, there are the people who appreciate it, but such is nearly unavoidable to occur.
And the cause of it that this web-site doesn't have a strict rules in its regard, what quite improbable to ever change, taking into account its vastness.
At any rate, people who likes your work will wait your release and people who doesn't care will keep their way. So there would be not much a change.

Dex-chan lover
@Lucas_Chan

You didn't need to tag me in your reply.

I commented on the lengths the TL went to trying to anticipate the flaming with their end note and comments, and I commented on the quality of the translation attempt. It had nothing to do with condoning their choice of this title to practice on.

Judging by your use of semicolon and italics I would assume this was an honest mistake, and that you don't generally go around engaging in sophistry to force your opinions on others. 🧐

Users who are viewing this thread