Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai

@draw2much 'the main female lead will show him how to love without having to change every aspect of himself. ' dude, hotaro-chan doesnt even know what love is(yet). i hope she will realize her own feelings soon tho. lets just wait and see

This cute

Tbh don’t think anyone would call him that creepy if he were a girl and the roles were reversed lol

when i see the picture of her childhood "i have a bad feeling about this" fvck shoujo tropes cant we have peaceful shoujo without rival.

Group Leader
at chapter 02 and this is so incredibly diabetes inducing as fuck

I fucking love this manga, and I don't think that is really all that diabetes and sugar sweet cute (?) I think that this is what the author want us to think in a superficial manner. Sometimes I get a chill from the way he acts, as everyone else.

If you read the author other works, you could say that her plots aren't superficial nor cliché, and we can see that there is something wrong with Hananoi-kun, as other comments have stated, even in universe is somewhat stated that he is a weird dude. He seems very obsessive and possessive, so who knows, maybe it can get a bit psychological? There has been a lot of foreshadowing about the fact that something is off about our sweet crazy as fuck Hananoi. I already consider his behavior quite ''yandere''-ish as it is. At least not cliché.

The fact that he fell in love with her for a small act of kindness is odd as it is, he is most probably in love with ''being loved'', but why the heck would he be so extreme? Maybe something happened or he just is like this for the loneliness? The fact that the title has ''disease of love'' in it, is interesting as well :D maybe so far it has been a disease for him...? Oh yeah, and what about that bookshelf that was covered?

Well , is just, I don't think is meant to be cute in a deeper level. Is meant to be unsettling and that's the fun!

This caught my attention because of the thick eyebrows. Immediately reminded me of Fujiyamasan wa Shishunki. However, I'd like this a lot more if Hananoi wasn't such a bog standard ikemen, complete with the "but he acts so weird!" flair. Such a waste of really good female lead. Although she's just a fictionaly character, I feel kinda bad for Hotaru. She deserves a more interesting love interest than Hananoi.

Although I do not expect this to go suddenly dark or "psychological". The way the male lead acts is just almost meme-tier tropiness for shoujo manga

Group Leader
I honestly think that hananoi has all the characteristics of a psychopath. If he wasn't good looking and if this wasn't a shoujo, this could easily turn dark and creepy

The manga start with annoyingly sweet to surprisingly creepy.

Do not be fooled with sweet artwork.

Dex-chan lover
I was wondering where I've felt these vibes before. Hananoi gives me the same danger signals as that guy from Cheese in a trap! Someone so 'perfect' and 'nice' but has such narrow-mindedness... God damn.

man, if any guy i ever was interested in exhibited this kind of behavior i'd move to another state. it's not love; it's obsession. barely knows her and yet he spends hours searching in the snow for a fucking hair pin? only been dating for a ~week and he spends 2hrs waiting for her just to see her smile? sounds cute in theory but it's pretty fucking creepy in practice.

*wheeze*
This is creepy.
If it's in real life, I will flat out reject him.

In other side, depends on each perspective, if you prefer someone who willingly sacrifice anything for you. Then Hananoi is not a problem for you.
Hananoi described as a weak-looking guy but quite a killer. I don't really like when he can't read the situation.

He clearly has complexity, he needs more love.

[just a warning: not spoiler-free]

I'm so confused, because I can't tell if the author is intentionally writing Hananoi as creepy, or if they actually mean for this to be a romance manga with a desirable main male lead?

He's giving off those "something's definitely wrong here" vibes. I mean: searching for her hair pin for hours in absolutely freezing weather, saying he'd literally sacrifice his own well-being to see her smile when they've barely known each other for a few days, waiting an entire two hours for her before school, pulling an all-nighter to create a big stack of notes for her to study from? That's obsessive, and I don't know how Hotaru hasn't run the other way yet; I couldn't get through a chapter without feeling seriously, seriously uncomfortable with everything he said and did for her. I know there are people who go above and beyond for their partners, but oof, this ain't it, chief. (Don't even get me started on the whole scene where she comes to his house, and they're in his room alone; his behavior there is pretty much harassment, sick or not. And the fact that she saw his covered-up bookshelf and he said, "That's your area, don't look at it if you're not prepared" set off the alarms in my head.)

(Also, he's pretty manipulative telling her he won't stick around as her friend if she doesn't like him romantically after their trial period ends. I mean, it's okay to not want to talk to someone as often after they reject you, especially if you feel hurt, but he should know by now that he's pretty important to her, and the chances of her agreeing to be his girlfriend just so she can keep him beside her are fairly high.)

It's just that I've seen shoujo mangas where the guy is outrageously thoughtful, but here, it definitely does not come across as consideration. More like: unhealthy obsession.

I mean? I get it if it's supposed to be written like this, and the author's goal is to create an unsettling, obsessive male protagonist. That's interesting in its own way, I guess. But if that's the case, the manga should really be clearly labelled as such. A lot of young people could read this and not pick up on how abnormal Hananoi's actions are; they could walk away thinking this is how an ideal partner should be. A younger me would have definitely thought that way :/

And if it's just supposed to be a shoujo manga...oh no.

I feel bad for him since reading the latest chapter.
I didn't change my mind - not yet, and until now - if Hananoi is indeed creepy.
Hold up! I I know very well that no human is perfect. So don't nudge me for that reason.

I want to appreciate this author who wants to give the concept of painful, bitter stories with different triggers. Not with ill reason (third party, cheating, ntr, whatever it is). This also happened to - what was her previous work again? About a girl who have memory problem. This is also about complexity, indirectly talks about psychology but with a pleasant nature to follow. This gives a complete, deep, and warm charm. I'm not surprised that this is quite popular in the community.

But on the other hand, I didn't thoroughly enjoy it.
I don't really care how Hananoi grows up to be so-called boyfriend material. And I'm also sure this reading doesn't go there.
So far the conflict raised concerns the urgency of each individual. They need each other. A warmth, a handle, to escape from the past.

I really was surprised by the complicated personality of Hananoi. Not only does he want to go far for something - as the user below says, an unhealthy obsession - now he is not too open with others, treats differently, which makes him look even worse.
I hope the author does not raise that complexity as a bad view. Take it as an outline, if someone like him also needs someone to understand. But I doubt about the development of their relationship. The author prioritizes an aggressive approach. The girl advances to make a move first. Maybe it will not perfectly dispute about his personality.

I prefer Suteki na Kareshi in this case. It's great reading. It's almost the same, almost ... similar to someone feeling scared so they behave strangely because of something that happened to them in the past. It also shows someone's need to understand. But the sweetness is right.

Users who are viewing this thread