Happy Holidays: Server Upgrades and Rule Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
Fun thread, but just a few things that stood out:

@Teasday

>Or well, you could argue that we don't like having pointless extra work and the management of the smooth operation of the broader community vs minority scanlator rights thrusted onto us

How a site chooses to manage itself/reduce that extra workload is up to the owners of the site obviously, and if you've opted to police scanlation content on your site as a solution, well then again that's up to you as the host.

However it should be noted the 'minority scanlator' group is the one creating the content that brings the 'broader community' of EOPs here in the first place.

@Holo

>Also, as a rebuttal to people advocating that the scanlator has an inherent right to plaster whatever they want in the credit page simply because they translated the chapter: really? Have they not considered that it is incredibly disrespectful to the author, who most definitely would not want alt-right memes/leftist propaganda tacked onto the end of the chapter? Notwithstanding the fact that most scanlation happens without author's permission anyway. The very least the scanlator can do is respect the original work and not add irrelevant political memes into the back of the chapter. Am I being unreasonable here?

Might as well ban any form of credit page at all then if you're worried about what the author may think, most probably wouldn't want any addendums to their original work, let alone illegal TLs of it in the first place. Not to mention how they must feel about MTL groups raping the dialogue in so very much of the shit posted here.

But since this is a site built to essentially encourage technically illegal TLs, letting the group providing the content driving the site autofellate or whatnot on one page makes sense to me (110% unbiased view here I know). And personally I'd say trying to speak for the author in the first place is a bit silly considering, again, most would rather this whole place disappeared no doubt.

@bk3k

>You go to some popular concert with the intent of running on stage and delivering your manifesto to the people there. That's equivalent to what's been happening, only until now it was allowed

0/10 analogy tbh fampai. Considering scanlators are the ones providing the media to the EOP masses, if anything they're the ones on stage giving the performance in that schwarbage analogy.

Contributor
This will be my last reply towards you since you're just avoiding the root of the problem which is people injecting their controversial political views into non-political manga.

There is no root problem, you create an issue where there isn't one, scanlators can add extra pages if they want, is their work, they invest lot of time for us to enjoy a serie and for free, majority always do this, but this specific scanlator doesn't add such pages in the middle or in your face when you open the chapter, they are at the bottom, as an extra so is completely avoidable and optional.

First, I don't have a grudge against Rapeman. If you read my comments at all, you would read me saying that I came across him one time only and that was on a Himenospia where he had a TL note at the end talking about how black people were violent and cited FBI stats and black people having low IQ, which are all old racist talking points which has been debunked and can be explained when you look at poverty and system discrimination and oppression within the black community from when they were slaves and after being freed from slavery, which is the truth of the matter not the garbage that Rapeman spew.

I respect every opinion because every opinion have the rights to exist, but if you want mine then i agree with Rapeman about the violent behaviour of some so called fake "migrants", but is useless this debate because to come to this conclusion you have to live with these issues everyday and not judge from a safe place. And regarding what these debunker said, at least in my country, pratically all of them are payed to lie like the tv and papers do on a daily basis.

Second, you can only avoid Rapeman's garbage when you don't know about it or him which wasn't the case for me and even if I did avoid it and just wanted to comment about the recent Himenospia I would have to do it over people arguing about the racist crap that Rapeman put at the end of his TL note which makes for a unfun experience when my comment get lost within the shitstorm and comments are soon locked after due to Mods not wanting to keep coming back to clean up the comment section. So I don't see how you think a translator should be able to muck up manga's comments section about things unrelated to the manga.

But what others people do shouldn't concern you, if someone incidentally read the bottom pages is their problem, you said above that you already know him, so in your case you can simply read the chapter and close after. Regarding the comment section, you can report people who insult or derail the topic, you aren't forced neither to read what they wrote or partecipate in the flame to put more fuel into the fire.

Third, you being a donor means very little in this discussion. If MD wants people to continue funding, do you think they want their manga site turned into a cesspool of political bickering? Fuck no. This is a place to enjoy manga and to discuss manga, which is why I assume you believed in the project and decided to donate to it right? This isn't a place for losers like Rapeman or any others to spew there political ideology whether it's Liberal or Conservative and ruin manga's comments section by igniting arguments. If you can't agree with this part of my comment towards you, then you should definitely find a new place to read your manga at so others like me who don't care for stupid political dribble can read and discuss manga in peace without having to waddle through political shit waters.

I'm sure that if the admins made a poll about this rule, majority will vote for no censorship, because in my long experience, real anime and manga fans really hate any censorship since we have to face this crap everyday and everyday some people and private organizations attack the media we love , so yours are just hypothesys. Only MD admins know the data and the amount of complains from who and where.
This is a place to enjoy manga and the freedom of speech too. You know, censorship start with little request like these and they tendto increase overtime for different reasons, thing will turn worse after you hide your head into the sand the first time, and the damage will be irreversible.

In the life things aren't black and white, the compromise should be find, but the solution is never remove content from toher people, no matter how disgusting and low they are, but adding more options and a good dose of moderation.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Rapeman posted:

How a site chooses to manage itself/reduce that extra workload is up to the owners of the site obviously, and if you've opted to police scanlation content on your site as a solution, well then again that's up to you as the host.

However it should be noted the 'minority scanlator' group is the one creating the content that brings the 'broader community' of EOPs here in the first place.
Calling bringing the credits page standards to the same level as our comments in general to be "policing scanlation" seems a bit alarmist to me, but sure.

And yeah, I do note that, that was the point. We'll also have to consider what to do about the groups that attempt to drive the EOPs out.

is a Reindeer
VIP
Well, this thread has run its course. Everyone's repeating the same words, and we've already made our statements regarding them. Answering the same questions nonstop would be an overall waste of everyone's time to let it continue, so I'll be locking this thread. Thanks to everyone who participated, anyone new to the thread feel free to read through the pages if you're interested, and have a happy holiday and an even happier new year.

4bb2Je4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread