Henkyou no Roukishi - Bard Loen - Vol. 8 Ch. 50 - Hotpot

Banned
Same, I've heard folks on Twitter say than an anime adaptation of this could be as good as the one Frieren got.
Frieren is an anomaly. The quality is just insane. I bet the manga is just some oil princes fave and he backs the anime production. I would not expect Bard to get the same quality, nor should anybody else. You only set yourself up to be disappointed.

Dex-chan lover
Regarding the comparisons made to Frieren and a few of my impressions:
The thing that bugs me most about it is that it was supposed to be Frieren alone due to the longevity of her race who goes through the world like thisšŸ˜ but since then it has become that almost every character they meet is making that face now.
Even the especially crazy antagonists/characters or during very emotional scenes they often barely emit any emotion at all and most who read the series don't seem to care about that fact imo which is rather odd.
Everyone seems to be running around with resting bored cba-face all the time now. I haven't seen the anime so maybe it isn't as pronounced there?
Combat scenes seem rather bland and without much depth, too much of the magic is just filler Kamehameha-ing at will and who's got the bigger mana-dick, creative solutions while there are few and far between and mostly reserved for the climaxes, melee combat is an absolute joke and the overall paneling often is rather bad - all while all combatants stillšŸ˜-ing througout the fight.

In this manga it all feels way better and more natural, with the expressions in their faces matching the different characters' overall (emotional) intelligence, maturity, experience and current state and situation (the stellar art does also its job).
The fights are more concise, snappy and don't overstay their welcome, magic is very rare and not spammy at all and when it happens it's almost always a gamechanger so far.
The characters overall power level - while very proficient in honing their techniques, forged from experience and standing out compared to the rabble - doesn't feel so OP, so you always get the sense that they could be overwhelmed by large numbers (due to them not being able to defend all directions at once or by sheer exhaustion) alone if push comes to shove. Meanwhile anyone with decent magic skills in Frieren could probably blast a comparatively large number of guys easily with one of their AoE-attacks into oblivion while not breaking a sweat since they have a huge mana pool anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love both series but the former seems to have more weaknesses and the latter doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves - I hope it gets a great anime one day with a decent studio behind it so more people might wake up and smell the coffee to see how awesome it really is šŸ˜.

(I could do with a bit less time spent on the cooking arcs tho and instead use it to get to the meaty(hah!) story stuff but that's just my personal preference and a lot of people seem to enjoy it so whatevs, have somešŸ²)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I love what a gracious fellow our Bard is. He understands be is being told a partial lie; but he accepts the need to lie, and that the emotion and intent behind it is true. That's a truly chivalrous thing to do for someone; I really enjoy the way he takes people in a clear-seeing way like that.
While I agree with the sentiment, there's nothing that shows it as actually being a lie, aside from Bard's assumptions that, because it's too coincidental and the price is too high for a normal transaction (which it obviously wasn't), it's a lie. I mean, if you were sleazy and wanted to keep a supremely talented swordsman at bay (or possibly doing errands for you to make up the price), you'd jack up the price for what he wants, under principles of supply and demand (in other words, that person is this world's equivalent of a scalper).

Dex-chan lover
While I agree with the sentiment, there's nothing that shows it as actually being a lie, aside from Bard's assumptions that, because it's too coincidental and the price is too high for a normal transaction (which it obviously wasn't), it's a lie. I mean, if you were sleazy and wanted to keep a supremely talented swordsman at bay (or possibly doing errands for you to make up the price), you'd jack up the price for what he wants, under principles of supply and demand (in other words, that person is this world's equivalent of a scalper).
We may find that out. But the author made a choice to have Bard believe he is being lied to; for now I choose to respond to the text as it presents it's self to me. The author spends time on Bard asserting something; so I will take his intuition as fact.

Dex-chan lover
We may find that out. But the author made a choice to have Bard believe he is being lied to; for now I choose to respond to the text as it presents it's self to me. The author spends time on Bard asserting something; so I will take his intuition as fact.
Bard's made many judgements that have turned out to be false or based on incorrect information in the past, though? Just look at his opinion of the lady and her eating habits.

Double-page supporter
Hmmm, i wonder what part of his story were lies other than the milly. Does he actually have a sister?

Dex-chan lover
Frieren is an anomaly. The quality is just insane. I bet the manga is just some oil princes fave and he backs the anime production. I would not expect Bard to get the same quality, nor should anybody else. You only set yourself up to be disappointed.
As much as it hurts... it can't be denied that Frieren anime is just... too much.

It is on FMA: Brotherhood level of anomaly, you can't just expect it to happen all the time you can only hope... and even with Frieren we can only hope that the same devs keep at the anime until the end.

But there is one hope... there have been a lot of amazing adaptations nowadays, Dungeon Meshi has INCREDIBLE art direction, both for the food... and the action and Bard Loen is more about food than the fights even, so there could be some interested artists.

Let us hope... but keep it simple.

Users who are viewing this thread