Henkyou no Roukishi - Bard Loen

I love this kind of manga, but this one... all the characters are bad and boring, the story is not bad, but the story telling is horrible, the food talk is so boring I just wanted to skip, the plot twist are all convenient so the MC can get away of anything, win against anyone and so one. Well, is sad because the art was amazing.

Aggregator gang
@burmn123 I dont understand your " the characters are bad and boring" the pace is correct, the lore and the way things are explained is just right, is slow, but not too slow. This is a novel with a lot of drawings(is basically based on a novel too thou).

conscript177

my friend, the characters are all the same, you have 2 types, the bad guys that is a generic bad guy that laught out loud when is telling his plans to world domination for no reason, and you have the good guys that keep smiling and don't give a damm about anything. in 15 chapters all the characters were one of those 2 types. Theres so many mangas similar to this that do such a better job (maybe not if we talk about the art, this one is amazing), even some isekais have more deph than this.

Dex-chan lover
@burmn123 maybe a seinen story is too early for young people like you , my friend , to enjoy.
Stick with shounens and isekais .

oh my god, he spoke ill of my manga, I need to bad mouth him. Sorry grandpa, didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I just didn't enjoy the manga

Dex-chan lover
What i am seeing here is someone who runs his mouth but cant seem to take the criticisms.

Sometimes a manga will not suit a person's tastes so they dislike it, which is a pretty narrow-minded, yet understandable reaction. But then, often, those people try to justify their dislike with a twisted logic that lays fault at the manga and/or author. There isn't any reason to pay any attention to those people's opinions because they are biased and narrow-minded. Their close-mindedness is their own problem, and if they are lucky, one day they will get over themselves, and be open enough to enjoy this story and understand why it's so good, and maybe why the author wrote it this way.

The story indeed isn't complex in terms of plot but it's well told and the characters are interesting. I don't really get the complaint about "the bad guys". None of them are bent on world domination, most of them are focused on selfishly improving their own lot to a greater or lesser degree and their actions (and the consequences thereof) drive a large portion of the plot in the first three volumes. Even Bard acknlowedges that the main "villain's" actions weren't necessarily wrong from his point of view. The story has no black and white morality, no one is decried as evil there are simply competing forces. There's no plot twists either, the main character is presented as being extremely competent from the start, they literally talk about he's undefeated so his martial prowess is "honestly" earned. He gets some fancy new equipment in the most recent chapter but I doubt that's what you're referring to. I do sort of agree about the cooking stuff, it was amusing at first as his personal idiosyncracsy but maybe they go to that well a bit often.

Still trying to figure out why it has such a high rating it’s not at all bad but I wouldn’t say its great either

Jeez, some people havent read traditional stories before. The style is of a hero’s journey and slow worldbuilding with the twist of an old hero. In this case, since the guy is old, its hard for younger audiences to relate with our MC. Which makes sense, as its targeted for a seinen audience. Its rated highly because the pacing and execution is done well. Compare this to shounen stories where pacing is accelerated and there are more “hype” moments, which makes those stories more popular and widespread. Its like comparing harry potter and lord of the rings, one is for a more mature audience and other for kids(at the start at least). Both are great stories but there are obvious audiences where theyre made for.

The source is not of a light novel but of a traditional novel in arcs. The first volume of the novel concludes at chapter 38 of the manga. As of now theres 4 volume arcs. The story is written much like a normal fantasy novel, as well as its lack of light novel cliche. The would building will take a long time to slowly build up, as the story progress far beyond the walls (literally the walls).

Group Leader
This series is written irritatingly well. For most of the chapters there’s just enough completion to feel satisfied but still leaves the reader wanting more. The pacing is reminiscent of a slice of life manga and is actually exceptionally well planned out. An apples to oranges comparison would be 8th Son Are You Kidding’s Anime adaptation episode 4. That one is an example of piss poor planning. I might have to agree that this one might be for the older audience. Definitely agree with the comments of being a more traditional style in fact I can imagine this as the type of story one might read as a bedtime story. Not everyone’s cup of tea but if one is looking for a calmer series this one’s worth a go

Double-page supporter
@OrderedChaos
The hero's journey is a very specific set of story beats and this is doesn't follow them at all. It's also not particularly mature, it just has an older protagonist for older people to self insert.

Double-page supporter
@Lexical
Personally I found it a little dull. It's not unbearable it just isn't exceptional in any aspect. If you're looking for a calmer manga I'd recommend Hokuhokusei, Witch Hat Atelier, or Somali to Mori over this.

Users who are viewing this thread