Heresy - Ch. 52 - Demonic Cultivation

Fed-Kun's army
I started this few days ago and the art is great the world is great and all but personally all I got from reading this is frustration right now. I mean the guy got fucked pretty hard at the selection to be an inner disciple and that was pretty frustrating by itself but it was ok since I still had dozens of chapters to read and I thought it would get fixed smh during these chapters but these chapters are over now and there isn't much going on that could make me think he would start fixing everything. Like killing the girl to get her core who is equivalent to the fondation establishment pills. I hope he does it soon but in his current state I don't feel it's something he would do. The thing using soul or whatever created by the guy in the cat doesn't really sound like a good idea tho. But anyways I will just wait to see how it goes hoping it goes in the direction I want smh.

Dex-chan lover
@Mivas You may be too accustomed to other series where the MC is overpowered and effortlessly defeats / kills anyone who stands in his path.
In this series, the author is deciding to take a slower and more mature approach.
This story is not only about getting stronger physically, but also how the main character matures mentally as a person.

So that last female cultivator is... some sort of sister of his, from which he was separated as a child?

Good to see he's still a little bitch after learning nothing from his previous experiences.

You want it to go in the direction convenient for you? That would be the day it stopped being good.

Thank you for bringing us the English translation! I really like this wuxia, it's not just mindless killing all who offends the MC. I always thought it was wired how other MCs could just kill whoever he deemed without consequences.

Fed-Kun's army
@Nicromatic I certainly am but I don't mind some change from times to times at all. I said I found it frustrating and it's true but by that I didn't mean to say it's completely bad. I'm still here reading after all. I think it just means I'm invested in the story and that I feel bad for the mc so I was a bit frustrated for him.

I reread my comment and it's true that it may looks like I'm not happy at all about how the story goes but that's not how I feel. Like when I say that I will wait and see hoping it goes the way I want I don't mean I will drop it if it doesn't go the way I want or something like that but just that I will keep reading and hope it will go the way I want because who doesn't want a story to go the way they want it to go? And even if it doesn't I will keep reading because I'm invested in the story and want to now how it will ends whatever the end (I mean within reason if possible)

Fed-Kun's army
I'm glad the story isn't just taking the easy way out to make him mindlessly ruthless like what is so common with a lot of stories like this, even if it does make things harder for him.

Dex-chan lover
All this talk about how someone needs to throw away their compassion to achieve true strength is pure babble, it is just what the weak of heart say to themselves so that they can justify and protect their weak minds, "it is necessary" "it is the way things are" all things that just perpetuate a circle of stupidity.

It is true that living isn't easy, that people can be cruel and selfish, but that is the thing they should be all these things but they don't null out compassion, to find true strength is to find a balance between all these characteristics in yourself, and this is HARD so many just find easier to give up a part of themselves then lie saying it is true strength that it was "necessary", little Mo may be inexperienced but he has much more chance of find true strength than any of those around him.

Anyway as always i am liking where this is going, still hope that Mo doesn't just turn in a self-centered douchebag just because it is the "way things are", i do want to see is a badass and even merciless, but all these characteristics only have merit if he has others opposite ones to balance things out.

Fed-Kun's army
@alacaelum I very much agree. Strength should grant you the ability to do as you please and that isn't only who you offend or hurt but also who you spare. Most people who would support massacre like this at the hands of the sect would have a very different opinion if the one ordering it was a character they didn't like, even though both would be capitulating to power and doing something against the MC's wishes.

@nfzeta in theory, I agree. However, in Chinese cultivation fictions it is extremely common for this sort of dog-eat-dog world in order to reach the top. It might be a cultural thing where they believe you must be ruthlessly competitive to succeed.

It is true that chinese people commonly compete against friends and family by flaunting wealth and influence for "face".

@alacaelum There are several scenarios where mercy can come bite you in the ass. For example leaving, innocent witnesses alive might give clue to dangerous people going after you and they might harm you or your loved ones. Also, I don't believe that people who can go against their feelings to do what is necessary are weak of heart. In fact, it's the opposite, people who do not listen to their reason and act based on their feelings are the ones who are faint of heart.
Mercy will usually put you in disadvantegeous position, especially if you are in a hyper competitive world. Hence why the ones at the top are usually merciless and do whatever is necessary regardless of morals. This is true not only in this fictional world but also IRL.
I personally would like to see a xianxia protagonist who isn't a self-centered edgelord for once but the sister still has a point. Saying that compassion makes you stronger without even saying how it does that is pure shonen babble.

Dex-chan lover
@meinburn I didn't say that there shouldn't be mercilessness in a person, there is more than one situation in life that depends on someone being decisive and without mercy, but the case here is that they simply cut off the concept of compassion from themselves there lies the weakness. To me, there is no characteristic that humans have that isn't necessary or should be cut off from the most putrid hate to the most benevolent mercy all is necessary when you completely cut off something from yourself when you discredit anything that makes you this isn't strength it is a hole in your very being.

Fed-Kun's army
@meinburn and almost every Xianxia shows that there are several scenarios where no mercy can bite you in the ass as well. Also in this case he would be going against his feelings purely at someone else's bequest. It is of no benefit to him here. Whether it's strength or not actually depends more on how aware they are of the choices and repercussions, not on whether they choose feelings or cold logic. King's for example were known to choose the merciless route purely because they were faint of heart and saw a threat in everything. The threats were technically there but you can't act on every one without destroying things, and yourself.

I wonder where this will lead him I wonder if he is on the path of changing sects the cat will guide him anyway, but maybe he could gain something from others. There is still man eating girl plot I wonder how will it be solved.

Love the cat even thou I don't agree with him it, I like the way he is written and the way he pushes protagonist forward and calls out hypocrisies.

For once we get a protagonist who's not a one-dimensional ruthless edgelord. A character with actual beliefs and conflicts. Hypocritical sometimes? Yes. But then so are many people, that's in human nature. All of it making him a compelling protagonist, not just yet another 'hurr-durr must be hard and interesting like a brick'.

But some people sure love dem "edgy men making edgy decisions". Which most of the time (and in xianxia is basically nearly all of the time) is actually just a flimsy cover for "psychopaths making easy decisions". Which is as interesting as...actually scratch that, it's mostly boring.

Users who are viewing this thread