Hide Updates that Point Offsite. [Rejected]

Dex-chan lover
While I get that Official Publishers might want to provide links to their applications or websites, I never use them and never will. I'd honestly rather drop the series than support sites with fairly dark patterns.

I currently deal with this by utilizing the Group Block list. However, the Group Block list has a limit of 25; this means that it might become intractable if a lot of groups/publishers end up using this feature.

Thus, I would like a toggle that lets me filter out offsite updates from showing up in my feed. I know I can just do this with a user script on the client side, but would much rather this apply consistently across devices and possibly in the API.

Upvote 1
Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
If we start allowing links to chapters that aren't freely accessible, we'd implement a filter to hide paywalled official chapters.

As it stands, all the official links on MD are for freely accessible chapters that you can read by clicking on them, just like a normal chapter on MD, and thus there is no legitimate reason to block them all from showing up.

Contributor
While I get that Official Publishers might want to provide links to their applications or websites
Good news! They are not. This is something that MD does to promote official sources and there is no input from the publishers.

I'd honestly rather drop the series than support sites with fairly dark patterns.
What? Can you explain what you mean by ""dark patterns""...

EDIT: before someone sees this and wrongly assumes something again... Just because a series is licensed or that there are links to official sources does not mean that scan groups cannot still work on a series.

Dex-chan lover
If we start allowing links to chapters that aren't freely accessible, we'd implement a filter to hide paywalled official chapters.

As it stands, all the official links on MD are for freely accessible chapters that you can read by clicking on them, just like a normal chapter on MD, and thus there is no legitimate reason to block them all from showing up.
Security? It's trivial to make a phishing attack utilizing this current feature. Not to mention fraud. Just because someone hasn't done so, it doesn't mean it's not possible.

Double-page supporter
Security? It's trivial to make a phishing attack utilizing this current feature. Not to mention fraud. Just because someone hasn't done so, it doesn't mean it's not possible.
I'm sure "uploading" official chapters isn't available for anyone. IIRC there's very few people who can do it.

Contributor
Why and how? The bots are managed by Mangadex...

The only security problem lies if the official websites where they link to are hacked.

So no, it's not trivial. :huh:

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Less than a dozen people have the ability to add externally linked chapters, all of whom are trusted. This feature is not open to the public, and that's a deliberate choice. There's a far higher risk of someone posting a malicious link in a forum thread for any chapter than of this system being misused.

Dex-chan lover
Less than a dozen people have the ability to add externally linked chapters, all of whom are trusted. This feature is not open to the public, and that's a deliberate choice. There's a far higher risk of someone posting a malicious link in a forum thread for any chapter than of this system being misused.
That makes more sense.

my only wish is that for off site links that they dont require the use of open via web link when using aps like neko. if i cant read it natively thur neko id rather filter it out.

Users who are viewing this thread