Hinmin Choujin Kanenashi-kun - Vol. 1 Ch. 13

Contributor
This chapter reminded me of the Gamers! version of the boardgame and how many things were intentionally written to be very on the nose.

I have to ask. Is that real? Can you actually "inherit" your parents' debts in Japan as detached from any assets? Can debts be legally forced on you without your consent? It's such a common trope in manga and anime, but if it's true, it is such absolute and complete shit that it makes me extremely disappointed in Japan.

Group Leader
@toshiNARI Thank you for the links. At the end of the day, then, it's not real in the way that manga and anime often depict it; as explicitly without your consent. For example, I remember in one part of Hayate the Combat Butler that the MC is forced to pay off the debt of his father even though that was not even a case of inheritance. My issue is that they very, very often portray it as a legal obligation and one that can be forced upon a person without their explicit consent, which seems to not be true.

@comeonnow
Wasn't Hayate's debt contracted to yakuzas? I don't think these people worry about the legality and will just do what they need to get their money back.

Users who are viewing this thread