Hiraheishi wa Kako wo Yumemiru

@Zones and @firefox1234
Losing a family members happen in war but selling souls isnt
And that devil is so scary she's like super creepy like for real she has come from the depth of hell

Fed-Kun's army
@Nermie01 Of the three strongest instincts the desire to procreate is actually the weakest, the other two easily override it, as it was already shown in an experiment. Fear and Hunger/thirst will always override Sexual impuses, always. In the middle of a war, while we do have cases of some perverts who rape people from the enemy country, we also have cases of people who instead of falling to these impulses, focus even more on just staying alive and do not engage in these activities or becomig violent while succumbing to anger. SO it's actually quite understandable that in his situation John might actually never get to feel any romantic feelings for anyone, thinking only on surviving the next day. It depends on the person.
But no, romance is not always good, and can in fact destroy a story, there are enough examples of that out there. One example I can easily give you is that Ange something anime, A Mecha anime about a princess that had a characteristic that is pretty much hated in her country and is sent to a prison only to become a mecha pilot. The story was originally serious and dark, and was completely annihilated the moment they added romance to it.

Dex-chan lover
@BloodySorcerer Mm, ok. Do you have a source for said experiment? Because that's not what I learned in psychology. Regardless though, my point still stands that such an instinct is important and should not be tossed aside.

Your suggestion that romance "can in fact destroy a story" is extremely opinionated though, you clearly display your preference by your example. You seemingly don't care about romance and don't feel like it adds anything to a story (going off of your sole example anyways), in fact even being a negative to a story. That is your opinion. I might have worded my original statement wrongly, seeing as my thoughts about romance are my opinion, and I'll apologize for that. However, I still feel that a story that is dark and serious and tragic constantly is "just a pointlessly masochistic circlejerk tragedy" whose only point of existence is to make it's reader feel like crap. Without a silver lining, something concrete to look forward to at the end of this hellscape of war, what point is there in all of the main character's struggles? Survival? Revenge? Honor? These ring empty and hollow in the face of all that he and others have lost. Love is a powerful motivator for both victory and survival. If all he has at the end of the day is himself and the ghosts he carries with him, he might as well have just died with his family and friends. That is, of course, assuming he even survives to the end of the story. And if he doesn't, then what was the point?

@Nermie01 I dont have a source, but i believe it is widely accepted that the 2 goals for like are 1. If the conditions are not suitable to procreate, survive until they are, and 2. If the conditions are right, procreate. So it would be understandable for people to not seek romance (which is used for procreation and does not aid survival) in times of war.

Dex-chan lover
@TechnoFTW While that is true, human emotions are not so easily controlled, and romance is often something discovered rather than sought out. We are sentient both because of our innate instincts and our cognitive emotional ability, without ego and thought we would be merely animals. If we depended ONLY on instinct, then things would go as you described, but we don't. Romance is a possibility that should not be dismissed, especially considering instances where love has bloomed on (or off) the battlefield in times of war.

@Nermie01 For sure, I quite like romance in stories, I was just saying that it would be fine and make sense for a story to not involve romance.

This story sure is tragic but also inspiring in a way... this one get a 9 out of 10 from me. Hopefully things get even more interesting or maybe goes full circle xD

@CommieJohnTeh and shittier too, with bland characters and unnatural dialogue.

Haven't started yet, but with a hero named literally "serious" in French it can only be great..

zhi

he died to a goblin feels bad

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Cae

EDGE LORD MODE
ENGAAAAAAGED
fuck, it was getting a little convoluted there, but i'm totally on board again

Starts off slow but actually gets pretty fun to read when MC
meets his old friend.

Users who are viewing this thread