Hope You're Happy, Lemon - Ch. 21

Fed-Kun's army
Sunao and Lemon should not get together by the end of the manga. He hasn't shown any slight interest in her and meanwhile Kogahara is the person he is just DESPERATE to be with, it'd actually be a really nice and mature twist to do that, show that Lemon just has to move on. Even if they bury the hatchet, it's too late and they can move on from their middle school romance.

Of course, I know that's not going to happen, and Kogahara is just going to fucking vanish by the end of the story so Sunao can focus all of his attention on Lemon, even though she literally traumatized him.

Double-page supporter
I love everyone hoping and coping that the cheating thing will come up. The author is going to cuck us all and never bring it up again, bet.

I find it a little strange that I haven't seen anyone else think that maybe the reason she made up that cheating lie was cause she had body swap problems back then too and didn't know how else to explain it to sunao since like the other girl said, people would think she'd be crazy

She probably felt like sunao was gonna notice her strange behavior on her off days cause someone was actually in her body on those off days

Dex-chan lover
When any of us experiences Glasses bro pain

main-qimg-df988bedc8ab0fd741b31f39ce59cdc4-lq

Dex-chan lover
what i hope is that she says something like "i know you're secretly dating that girl without telling me" and he says something like "thats funny coming from you, who cheated on me" so they can finally get around to addressing the cheating lie.

i enjoy this manga but there hasn't been enough progress for my tastes. i know a lot of readers want to see Lemon burned at the stake for saying what she said but to me its such an over the top lie that only a middle school girl would come up with on the spot, and only a middle school boy would just instantly believe. like Sunao was dating her and knew she was an introvert and spent all that time with her so had he been more mature himself he would've said like "hey wait a minute, this cant be right". i hope this next chapter at least shows us the flashback finally about why she said that. i assume its because she thought he didn't like her and wanted to hurt him to protect herself, or was dealing with some self confidence issue and thought she didn't deserve him or something like this.

i like all the characters i just really need the author to focus back on the romance between sunao and lemon and less on the body-swap hijinks. it all feels like filler at this point.
Dude is still immature. You can tell. Emotionally stunted. Sunao even though he's over 18," Sunao has barely matured emotionally beyond a middle schooler.

Just binged this and caught up on some of these comment sections and no lie they wild as heck.

Anyone who's dumping on Lemon because she told an impulsive lie as a teenager but has nothing to say about Sunao pulling a sustained and considered deception on Kogahara is holding a crappy double standard at best and is hella misogynistic at worst. Yeah, that kind of rejection can sting and I know a lot of dudes with very fragile feelings who'd act a lot like Sunao about it, but seriously move on. Even in a year you should be able to do something to move on, let alone the entire three years of high school.

Maybe figure out that it's likely not even true because it's so out of character for this introvert you've known your whole life? Like, that lie is so implausible coming from the person he knew and is the kind of thing that only a young teen would accept. It's maddening that he never wondered what more there was to the story and didn't even try to reach out to her again to understand. This kind of experience sucks in real time but it's a great opportunity for self-development.

But even if you go on believing her, just let it go. Get back on the horse, journal it out, try new hobbies, read some self help, meditate, make art, work on your physical fitness... do whatever you can to develop a sense of self worth that isn't dependent on another person behaving a certain way. Anyone saying that you can't move on after this sort of rejection is lying to themselves to protect themselves from the vulnerability that letting go of negativity requires. But no - to do that would require taking responsibility for your own happiness, something that too many jaded boys on the internet can't seem to manage.

With that rant over, I'm on the edge of my seat for next week! I'm not sure if Lemon will confess or not, or whether the cheating lie will be addressed, but I hope we can see some actual growth from Sunao.

Dex-chan lover
I'm a little confused about pages 12 & 13. I can't remember Lemon discussing anything with Suzuka that would lead to "Maybe I should just tell him everything right now." with the reply "R-right now? But I thought you wanted to wait."

I'm doing a speed-read/skim of the manga again to try to find something like that. Pray for my brain cells.

EDIT: I guess it's chapter 11, pages 22 & 23, and chapter 14, pages 13 through 17.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Bitch is delusional and self-absorbed on a blackhole level.

A normal human does not forget a break up entirely (and she did forget about it including the lie she told) if they cared even a little bit about the other side if they've used an outrageous lie like 3 timing. And this chapter shows she has deep regrets about it apperantly?

Who would actually think they could get back together with their ex with a simple confession after "cheating" them with 3 dudes? Nobody, unless brain damaged. So you start with telling him as soon as possible that the cheating was a lie though it is a moot point anyway because damage is done. She fucked up his whole teenage romance history for years in an instant which he just recently managed to recover from.

With that in mind, chapter 1 and the rest of the story doesn't make any sense narratively speaking. There is a huge disconnect. That's where the bad writing comes in i guess. Sunao acts like nothing happened. Like he wasn't having nightmares and just goes along with whatever the fuck she puts infront of him.

Dex-chan lover
First of all, nice victim blaming you got going on there. Top shelf stuff.

Sunao has nothing (and i mean capital N nothing) to feel guilty about. What you are practicely saying to the guy who gets 3 timed by her childhood BEST friend turned girlfriend to "get over it". Who are you to judge how someone allowed to process trauma?

You say you binged it but you apperently skipped most of the nuance during the process as well.

First of all, original title of the manga is "Good luck to you, bitch!" but EN release pussied out and made it PG13. This should give you the over all theme about how the story aims to portray Lemon from the get go. (Author is a woman btw, incase you want to go with "sexist man can't write woman" route). She is selfish and self-absorbed. At no point does she think about how Sunao feels or thinks. Can you imagine the mind set of a person who sees absolutely no problem confessing to their ex to get back together after cheating on them with 3 guys? Yes, she lied about it but Sunao doesn't know that and that lie is the very reason dude had absolutely no romance through out his teenage years. Oh yeah, he should have gotten over it as a 15 year old right? You are similar to Lemon in that sense. What a joke.

She showed no intention to clear the air so far as well. She didn't even remember how or why she lied during their break up, up until Sunao reminded her when they met again. She apperantly completely moved on with her life and if they haven't met by pure coincidence, she would have never contacted him.

Again, story makes it a point that Lemon is not right in the head, emontionally. Even the middleschool flashback chapter spesificly shows that she is still a massive pushover and didn't really change at all though she tries to convince herself otherwise while contradicting herself like 10 minutes later. And the imagery showed during the flashbacks implies that some girl in the class was also interested in Sunao and that's why she break up with him. Yeah, really.

Shitting on Lemon is not a "misogynistic" thing. She is a highly flawed individual and selfishness is one of the most hated character traits in stories. So readers tend to lesh out to those characters. I know you like your buzzwords but it doesn't really apply here. Not liking a female character doesn't make anyone sexist so get over yourself first.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Sunao and Lemon should not get together by the end of the manga. He hasn't shown any slight interest in her and meanwhile Kogahara is the person he is just DESPERATE to be with, it'd actually be a really nice and mature twist to do that, show that Lemon just has to move on. Even if they bury the hatchet, it's too late and they can move on from their middle school romance.

Of course, I know that's not going to happen, and Kogahara is just going to fucking vanish by the end of the story so Sunao can focus all of his attention on Lemon, even though she literally traumatized him.
Honestly I'm really hoping your first part of the post is true. It's the healthy thing to do. With how Lemon was presented she kind of feels like a third wheel and its not even that Kogahara isn't interested in Sunao because she is. Give her closure and development on her "yesman" attitude that she wanted to fix on herself and everyone wins.

Users who are viewing this thread