Horobi no Kuni no Seifukusha - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - An Evening Visitor

Group Leader
The explanation for the context of the war seems off. Is the grammar there really correct?
For all those wondering about the war stuff, King Eagle's Attack is a suicide attack with very low chance of survival like mentioned. Gowk used the King Eagle's Attack on the enemy and died in the process is what is written. I'm assuming many people are thinking that he was attacked but it was him who INITIATED the attack. Sure they may be making stories of him dying but it can also be possible that he was killed in the enemy camp by his own teammates also, so it's not any grammatical error

Dex-chan lover
For all those wondering about the war stuff, King Eagle's Attack is a suicide attack with very low chance of survival like mentioned. Gowk used the King Eagle's Attack on the enemy and died in the process is what is written. I'm assuming many people are thinking that he was attacked but it was him who INITIATED the attack. Sure they may be making stories of him dying but it can also be possible that he was killed in the enemy camp by his own teammates also, so it's not any grammatical error
That doesn't cover everything.

The flashback says that the father stole something.
The bit about the divorced woman gets one line that doesn't complete the idea for something that doesn't seem connected to the work thing. Is he saying that the father is actually his father-in-law?
MC is saying that the father/classmate isn't guilty, when it's supposed to be the classmate's father?
"was caught up" in an attack sounds a lot like they were on the receiving end, which is why people are confused.
Who is saying the "no longer a knight" part? MC's current father wouldn't be trying to defend that.
Lacune was invited, they just didn't go.

Double-page supporter
sorry I just read the chapter just now, I'll try to explain what I know
The flashback says that the father stole something.
MC is saying that the father/classmate isn't guilty, when it's supposed to be the classmate's father?
this part is is badly converted from the novel, in the LN MC's classmate didn't blaming him at all, he just come to the MC and basically said "if possible can you please persuade your father to not prosecute him that much?" but when the MC confused because he didn't know what he talking about, the classmates immediately goes "oh so you don't know anything at all? forget it then"

later on, the MC calling his father about his classmate's dad and asking if there's any incident. to which MC's father just mockingly said "oh, he's coming crying at you and use his son to pleading on you didn't he?"
the MC said "nobody is crying, just explain to me what's going on"
MC's dad then proceed to explain that his classmate's dad is an old employee to his company working as a carpenter or something, and then without permission he's taking some hinge and nails from the company supply to make a dog house for his own. the amount of nails and hinge to make a dog house couldn't be more than 1k Yen, but his father exaggerating it into 10k yen. he's suing his classmate's dad to court and saying it that he have to make an example so nobody would dare to cross him.

the MC knows that wasn't the case, he just such a cheapskate that he didn't want to pay the carpenter his pension because he's nearing a pension age. so he took this opportunity to exaggerate his case. thus why after the MC graduate from highschool he just leave home and cutting ties with his father completedly, because he has no respect for his father at all on that point.
the manga quite rushing this part into just few panels, so it's basically just adaptation issue, not the translator fault.
"was caught up" in an attack sounds a lot like they were on the receiving end, which is why people are confused.
Who is saying the "no longer a knight" part? MC's current father wouldn't be trying to defend that.
Lacune was invited, they just didn't go.
the sentence are exactly worded like that even on the official LN translator, it does said "caught up". it's not a grammatical error. I mean the translator could put "forced to attempt" to make the sentence easier to understand. but I'm guessing he didn't read the LN since the explanation about kingeagle attack comes AFTER that sentences. I would still say the translator doing a great job here since there's no mistranslation nor inconsistencies.

some part will be answered on the next chapter I won't spoil you. And for your other questions I don't know how to answer that because to be quite frank I don't understand your english I couldn't really comprehend your questions.

Dex-chan lover
I don't understand your english
That's the point though? I'm only pointing at the stuff literally said in the chapter, and the adaptation's content aside, the grammar is all over the place. Saying that Lacune was not invited in page 19 is a mistranslation, even if it's obvious what the actual meaning is(Lacune, an important family, did not attend this critical meeting).

I'm not saying there's malicious intent, but the sentence structuring is garbled to the point that the subjects aren't clear anymore, and that can very easily lead to mistranslation.

Double-page supporter
That's the point though? I'm only pointing at the stuff literally said in the chapter, and the adaptation's content aside, the grammar is all over the place. Saying that Lacune was not invited in page 19 is a mistranslation, even if it's obvious what the actual meaning is(Lacune, an important family, did not attend this critical meeting).

I'm not saying there's malicious intent, but the sentence structuring is garbled to the point that the subjects aren't clear anymore, and that can very easily lead to mistranslation.
I don't know man, but the scanlation is pretty understandable to me. it's your question that I don't understand at all honestly.

it's not a mistranslation, Lacune is indeed not invited to the meeting.

Dex-chan lover
Lacune is indeed not invited to the meeting.
Are you serious? They REFUSED the invitation. You can't refuse an invitation if you weren't invited. You don't need to cook up some excuse about sons-in-laws if you were never invited in the first place.

Double-page supporter
Are you serious? They REFUSED the invitation. You can't refuse an invitation if you weren't invited. You don't need to cook up some excuse about sons-in-laws if you were never invited in the first place.
Yes, I've read the novel until 4th volume.
Lacune's family refusing to attend the meeting wouldn't make sense for the future plot at all, it creates inconsistency.

This is the part I'm confused about, why are you so sure that Lacune's family refusing the meeting is the correct translation anyway.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, I've read the novel until 4th volume.
Lacune's family refusing to attend the meeting wouldn't make sense for the future plot at all, it creates inconsistency.

This is the part I'm confused about, why are you so sure that Lacune's family refusing the meeting is the correct translation anyway.
Then....it's not Lacune's wife who said that?

Double-page supporter
Then....it's not Lacune's wife who said that?
like i said, which "that" are you referring to. if you talking about the wife that didn't approve Lacune's knighthood they're talking about Gowk's wife, or rather his widow.

the conversation goes like this:

• a messenger comes and providing Luke a list of meeting attendant
  • Luke realize one of the big branch family is not on the list, which is Lacune(s)
  • Luke asking for confirmation why Lacune(s) isn't attending
  • the messenger said conveying a message from Gowk's wife "Lacune refused to take part in performing the suicide attack alongside with Gowk, he isn't qualified to be called a knight anymore"
  • Luke starting to protest that it doesn't make sense at all, refusing to commit suicide attack might be a sign of cowardice, but that doesn't warrant them to be stripped of their knight privilege
  • messenger forwarding that "it's already decided, we (as in Gowk's wife) don't want Lacune to inherit the Hou family head title, they would rather to adopt someone else (who's young & inexperienced) to be the next family head"

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
like i said, which "that" are you referring to. if you talking about the wife that didn't approve Lacune's knighthood they're talking about Gowk's wife, or rather his widow.

the conversation goes like this:

• a messenger comes and providing Luke a list of meeting attendant
  • Luke realize one of the big branch family is not on the list, which is Lacune(s)
  • Luke asking for confirmation why Lacune(s) isn't attending
  • the messenger said conveying a message from Gowk's wife "Lacune refused to take part in performing the suicide attack alongside with Gowk, he isn't qualified to be called a knight anymore"
  • Luke starting to protest that it doesn't make sense at all, refusing to commit suicide attack might be a sign of cowardice, but that doesn't warrant them to be stripped of their knight privilege
  • messenger forwarding that "it's already decided, we (as in Gowk's wife) don't want Lacune to inherit the Hou family head title, they would rather to adopt someone else (who's young & inexperienced) to be the next family head"
That makes a lot more sense.

I'm still not clear why Gowk's wife is plural, then. The implication seems like only those attending the meeting are eligible to become a head, but the other attendees were also surprised by the announcement.

If it is referring to Gowk's opinion when he was still alive, together with the wife, the delivery is odd. It works better if it's something more like "The Gowk family does not want Lacune to inherite the Hou family head title"? But that would imply a sub-House system of representation that retains authority even when the head is killed, which is a little unusual.

Dex-chan lover
"siam was praising you a lot you know"
"She is very smart"
Way to toot your own horn and pat yourself on the back. "They praise me because they are smart enough to know I am awesome" :p

Dex-chan lover
Glad to see I'm not the only one suspicious about his death.
I mean, between that garbage-sounding battle tactic and the fact that there's no corpse, i wouldn't be surprised if "King's Eagle Attack" was actually a fictitious strategy used to hide that they stabbed him in the back and dumped him in a ditch
It sounds like "King's Indian Attack" which is a reasonably popular chess opening. I don't know if the author intended to make that reference or it's just a coincidence, but to me it doesn't sound like garbage. They were playing a board game just a couple chapters back so there's that.

I don't understand about that marriage proposal. Is the MC really proposed to marry his 1st degree cousin? If so I would have expected someone in the comments to be concerned about the incest. Who is that "uncle" who wants MC to marry his daughter? Is he not his mother's brother, judging by the mother's reaction to his death? And then MC's father also called him his brother??? Are his parents siblings, now??? I can't figure out that mad family.

Dex-chan lover
Bro:
images

Users who are viewing this thread