Hoshino-kun, Shitagatte! - Vol. 1 Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
i've thought about this for a while, but this manga is definitely going for that 80s animanga vibe, not so different from Urusei Yatsura (y'know, women torturing men for the haha funny). the art also displays this vibe. let's see how it develops.

Dex-chan lover
i've thought about this for a while, but this manga is definitely going for that 80s animanga vibe, not so different from Urusei Yatsura (y'know, women torturing men for the haha funny). the art also displays this vibe. let's see how it develops.
I would agree to a certain degree. This seems to be -a- vibe it is going for but calling it not so different from Urusei Yatsura (women torturing men) is just not it. Urusei Yatsura does so in a loving (still more intense than usual) way to "punish" the naughty MC.

This manga has a normal human adolescent baseball club member that is just plain generic and not too bad of a teen. He can't actually be "punished" for anything. He also isn't her darling.
This is actual torture. Mostly mental but it is to an insane degree. Dude should be mentally broken and traumatized by now, that is how hard she rips into him over and over.
Add to that the literal bullying happening and the vibe is straight up 100x Urusei Yatsura, lol.

This chapter hinted at something possibly going on in her family life that made her this twisted but it doesn't excuse or change anything. Still, it might finally add another layer to this manga that isn't just "she so mean and he so stupid".
Tbh, I just am reading along to see what bonkers and demeaning stuff she can come up with, lmao. She talks like a League of Legends player x.x

Dex-chan lover
This comic is really dancing across the line between kind of annoying and kind of good. I wish it could just come down harder on whether she's just fucking with the guy or she actually likes him and is bad at expressing it.

Moments like the end of this chapter make me want to get invested but I find the characters hard to like most of the time yknow. It's kind of a bummer; Makoto Ojiro is probably my favorite author/artist bc of how good she is at depicting grounded little romances. Makes me wish she were writing this.

Who knows though, the comic could always change for the better.

So she clearly had her PE uniform back home, with pants looking torn into shorts either because of previous damage or whatever.
And she is wearing that at home, with food being just cup ramen. Boxes and dirt being everywhere.

Poor girl probably isn't in a good place.

Reminds me of Corrine & Jeannot from the 70s. It was even worse because the girl was pretty and well-off unlike her victim, who also had Donald Duck levels of unluckiness.

Dex-chan lover
So she clearly had her PE uniform back home, with pants looking torn into shorts either because of previous damage or whatever.
And she is wearing that at home, with food being just cup ramen. Boxes and dirt being everywhere.

Poor girl probably isn't in a good place.
She lives alone or her parents are horrible. Does this situation of students living alone really happen or is it a lie like women squeezing each other's breasts?

Dex-chan lover
ughh the writing is so bad.. this chapter is I guess trying to make you feel sorry for her, but she's been such a POS that this sudden transition does nothing for me. The more this goes on the more I wish Ojiro did both the art AND writing

Dex-chan lover
I've felt she just tries to see what she can get him to do .. because she likes him.

Dex-chan lover
Eh, I kind of appreciate how her brattiness isn't the paper-thin 'it's not like I like you, d-dummy' shtick. She seems like a deeply disturbed piece of work, if you get past the exaggerated mean-spirited comedy routine.
She's obviously short on cash, and I guess her idea of a breadwinner is a pessimistic picture of a black company worker willing to do back-breaking labor for pitiful scraps without a word of complaint.

Users who are viewing this thread