Houkago Kitaku Biyori - Vol. 2 Ch. 15 - Let's Listen to the Voices of the Past

Dex-chan lover
I'm somehow doubtful that high schoolers don't know what a cassette is, but ok. Give it 5 years, and we'll see mangas where high schoolers are bewildered by the sight of a CD.
Seriously, I've never used a floppy disk, but I know what it is; why wouldn't they recognize something as iconic as a cassette?

Dex-chan lover
I always thought authors over exaggerated the "kids not know of used to be popular technology" cliches then I realized among my classmate I am the only one who knows about torrents and we're college students :nyoron:
My Junior co-worker don't even know how to installing program via CD/DVD.

Dex-chan lover
I'm somehow doubtful that high schoolers don't know what a cassette is, but ok. Give it 5 years, and we'll see mangas where high schoolers are bewildered by the sight of a CD.
Seriously, I've never used a floppy disk, but I know what it is; why wouldn't they recognize something as iconic as a cassette?
Probably depends on people (authors) experience. who know
"Oh it's they made the save icon from MS Word real"

Dex-chan lover
Ha this made me remember my friends and I recorded something dumb like this back in the day in the same fashion... I wonder if someone still has that tape.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't there an article sometime back about how students didn't know how to read an analog clock?
Yeah, but I think there's a slight difference between being able to read an analogue clock and being able to identify what an analogue clock is. That's to say analogue clocks aren't yet as far gone as cassette tapes. (It hurts how easily I typed that my childhood was far gone lol)
I'm all for analogue clocks, but I think it is getting to the point where they're 'hanging around' more for tradition than for a need to tell the time. Not that I would be against said tradition

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
THIS IS THE ROMANCE I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

And man is this chapter so soothing to the soul, like every chapter in this manga is, really loll

But this one specifically hit harder listening to the voice of strangers 27 years in the past makes your imagination go wild, what kind of person were they? what kind of relationships did they have? Who was that teacher at the time? I wonder if the relationship is still going strong... So much stuff that makes you like life much more

Man, this chapter hits an old spot that I'd forgotten about.

I used to work for a forestry corporation years ago and I can remember one day when we were clearing out the store room we found a cassette down the back of the cabinets. We took it out and put it into our firetruck that still had cassette players and it turned out it was a mixtape, made by an environmentalist for her lover who was a logger (some real Romeo and Juliet stuff) where in between songs she'd share mundane things that had happened to her recently. It was a like a window into someone's life, nice but strange at the same time. It was obviously from the 90's, I can remember the Prodigy was on it. She never said her name so we were never able to track her down.

So yeah, thanks lady for the cool tunes and thoughts that keep us company at many a fires.

Users who are viewing this thread