How can we make the world better?

@Nick_Asano

@hazzack quoted
"take away desire from humanity and the world is undeniably a better place."

Both of it i agree with, but i slightly disagree with "desire for a better world", because you quoted "It's desire that's motivated us to come this far, but it's also what's pushing us back from progressing further as a society."

Dex-chan lover
Well to be fair, without desires we'd still be nomads, fighting off wild animals where a single scratch might mean life threatening infections

Dex-chan lover
Was commenting on how desires have motivated us out of the stone ages

Fed-Kun's army
@Immortalartisan Tribalism manifests itself in everything from gangs to fandoms to religions to subreddits and even relationships of two. Tribalism is what you get when you don't have enough time, will, resources, and/or freedom to think for yourself. I believe that to some extent we're all guilty of tribalistic behaviour, as it can be tiresome to analyze every piece of every puzzle all the time. We exercise "faith" "loyalty" and "bias" (or prejudice) in lieu of constant analyzation so as to avoid mental exhaustion and social conflict with those that we've projected ourselves onto. Or in the case of abuse victims and tyrannical governments, those who have brainwashed us into following suit.

Fed-Kun's army
@Rift Good question. I want freedom without destruction. Progress without slavery. Generosity without the ensuing greed. Conviction without the bias. I believe that a perfect world is possible, but only with perfect humans. Neural software is an idea I've toyed with. Imagine learning while you sleep. Imagine a nation of children who already know everything they'll ever need to know about science, ethics, history, math, work, language, and economics. Time and effort will no longer be constraints. We won't be brainwashed with "the right information" because we'll have "all the information". The next hurdles will be memory storage and cybernetic related viruses, though I imagine there are problems I've overlooked besides.

Double-page supporter
Well if I can’t get rid of tribalism entirely we can at least get rid of religion. It’s at least one less reason for war to happen. And maybe nationalism?

Dex-chan lover
i will destroy it and rebuild it from the ashes, a new world shall be born. (so edgy)

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy
Just make humans enjoy suffering. Problem solved, right!?
Unironically yes (kinda?). More specifically, making people understand why 'necessary suffering' is beneficial in the long run. Emphasizing perseverance and hard work from a young age gets a +1 from me, at least.

@immortalartisan
Well if I can’t get rid of tribalism entirely we can at least get rid of religion. It’s at least one less reason for war to happen. And maybe nationalism?
Setting religion aside, tribalism and nationalism are so deeply ingrained not only in human nature, but also logicality in general.

If we were all part of one nation and aliens swooped down and said "We're going to conquer you all now, don't resist fuckers", would the 'correct' response be "Fine with us, wouldn't want you guys to think we're too nationalistic or anything"? Of course not.

Fear (or, more ideally, 'caution') of the unknown is the most logical thought process for any sentient beings that prefer survival.

Double-page supporter
Actually it isn’t nationalism which keeps wars going it’s pride and ego that fuels revenge cycles. But also the world would just flat out be better with out religion at this point. So maybe less pride and ego about war?

Dex-chan lover
Actually it isn’t nationalism which keeps wars going it’s pride and ego that fuels revenge cycles.
In part, yes. It's also due to the fact that we can't read the minds of others, i.e. game theory (not the youtube channel).
But also the world would just flat out be better with out religion at this point.
At the point we're at right now? That's arguable. Religion functions as a social utility, focusing the hearts and minds of (imperfect) people. (Everyone's imperfect, I know. I mean that religion is so useful due to the fact that we're imperfect.)

I think humans would have to go through very significant evolution (biological or technological, most likely the latter) for religion to actually become useless or detrimental.

Based on lessons from the Isekai genre, I would recommend to add a global common enemy.
F.e. a Demon Lord with his army.

It'll unite the humans.
And it's proven that the presence of a predator has a possitive effect on an ecosystem. Currently humans only have humans as enemy.

Dr. Manhattan would agree.

Users who are viewing this thread