How to Fight - Vol. 1 Ch. 23 - The Law of Fear

Power Uploader
Reasons why I don't go and say Logan Gracie is the Chicken-head:

i. It's too obvious;
ii. Gracie has scars on his arms and torso the Chicken-head doesn't.

Granted, the movies are from five years ago, so perhaps the scars came after that, but I think Gracie is a red herring.

Dex-chan lover
Also, Gracie should have a very obvious accent.
Not that this comic is extremely worried about verisimilitude, of course.

0ps

@jazz9 If you mean Moonsung, they're childhood friends whose relationship is most likely platonic. He's been shown to be a total bro, so I don't think we have to worry about him coming between Hobin and Bomi (recall he even asked Hobbit's to contact her and also pretended to be good friend's with MC so that he wouldn't look like a fool during his date). If anything, the worry should be Gaeul's growing affection towards MC, which would negatively impact his relationship with Bomi and Jiksae (who has a crush on her).

Dex-chan lover
I always wondered about this issue while reading, but this chapter really drove it home to me.
What did Bomi find in the MC to begin with, that she could not find in her athlete buddy? The chapter even closed up with her smirking while thinking: "oh, he is so dependable."
...Even though the MC relied on the athlete's capabilities more than once, the MC's dependable? And lo' and behold, it was the athlete that came to the girl's rescue. I'm not sure what the author is going for, but it looks like it is intentionally written to be confusing about this matter. What would a hot woman, with a hot chad of a "male childhood friend", be looking in a shrimp that can barely look at her in the eyes?

...Well, I dunno. This is a Korean story, and hamfisting in drama in w/e form is a must. So I guess it makes sense, but this has to be the first time I seen a Korean be """subtle""" about it.
P.S: I can only explain the girl's interest in the MC, is if she truly sees the athlete as a brother (and vice-versa as a sister), and so she wants a projection of her "brother", in an other person. Sexual dynamics 101 sort of bullocks.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, it would be refreshing if Bomi and Moonsung just happened to be friends. No gay reveal, no crazy twist, just friends.

@solipsist love isn't always logical mate. and someone isn't just an inferior version of someone else. everyone has different good things about them

Dex-chan lover
I wouldn't mind Moonsung and Bomi being together
"Old man" Gaeul is more fun

Not that I really care about it, not reading this manga for any potential romance at all

Dex-chan lover
@rejin
I was more going for: "Imagine a scenario like a hot cheerleader happily dating an 80s nerd".
You'll need to inspect the situation up-close to get an understanding of: "how can these two seemingly different people be so interested in each other?" It doesn't mean it's wrong, it just means it's hard to understand, and you'll naturally want to.

But the very fact that we didn't even get to inspect the situation, and it just proceeds on its own...Can't say I care for it. Because there's no way the author doesn't know that such a pair will raise some eyebrows. As far as I care, Bomi is a token hot-girl character, and she has no further substance beyond that.
& creating a justification later on as to why she found the MC attractive, is just in poor taste, imo. Doesn't change how we experience her atm.

Fed-Kun's army
This guy is really... perverse.
Also Bomi has a lot of designer things but she works in a McDonalds :/ I didn't know they paid well

0ps

@Solipsist Ch 8 covers your thought process. Hobin internally questions why Bomi is going on a date with him when there's Moonsung. There are open hints as to why Bomi finds Hobin attractive (not always about appearance), his dependability for one. When she thinks of that in this chapter, she recalls him "saving" her from the school bully at their workplace ("he's always been like that"). I think the author is aiming to depict her as a non-shallow character/does not judge a book by its cover. Ultimately, I hope romance is just a very small piece of the story as I could care less about it in general when it comes to action comics.

Power Uploader
Bomi and Moonsung might be an instance of Westermarck Effect. Or indeed, Moonsung might be gay, or dating someone else already.

And Bomi might be like so many good women and men in the real world who feel attracted to people who treat them well, go out of their way and face danger for them, are honest and loving towards them.

Besides, height isn't everything. Hobin is scrawny, but not exactly ugly. If he keeps working out and reaches welterweight, and preens himself a little, he might well become attractive. Some girls like boys they can look in the eye.

Dex-chan lover
@0ps
I recall that, but honestly, these instances didn't seem like enough. Honestly felt like she was trying to scam him, at first, and we don't know anything more about her since then.

@Kendama
Westermarck indeed, I'd buy that. If she had any focus to her character, at all.
Also, I'd buy the whole "dependable" thing if this were a samurai story of some sort, that level of romance sounds appropriate, but less so for teenagers in this sort of a story.

Overall, Bomi was introduced as this: "THE BLONDE CHEERLEADER", apex female sort of character. In movies, that's usually there to make one question "why is she into the MC?", so the story can explore her motives and character. But nothing of that sort happened here. That leaves Bomi with a missing personality, since thus far it seems like she has no motives. She's just there to be attractive. A goalpost for the MC to drool over, and a constant damsel-in-distress that'd fish the MC out of the water and force to run on land, to move the plot forward. eh.
That being said, yeah. I don't want the story to focus on the romance. I care more about the action, in an action-themed comic.

Power Uploader
Another piece of evidence. I doubt Moonsung learned from the videos. In chapter 3, the videos clearly have no views. The nature of his connection to the HTF techniques must be more indirect.

THE CHICKEN IS GOD. Ah it's so satisfying seeing Hobin grow~~

Can't wait for the next chapters!

Double-page supporter
Even if Logan isn't the chicken, he must have some connection to him, I mean he says all the same stuff. I think Gaeul might as well seeing as she seems to understand the techniques to an extent.

I am also very hype for next chapter, using the more powerful good guy to fight means that we can have cool high level fights without Hoobin becoming insanely strong out of nowhere

Contributor
Moonsung's connection to HTF techniques is that they are (at least inverse) real techniques, and all basic to boot (I'd even say incredibly basic), and Moonsung is an actual professional martial artist, of MMA to boot, which doesn't have the standard sport/traditional division like most Asian martial arts do.

So you're basically asking if Moonsung saying "Step 1: Take a stance" means he learnt from HTF videos, lmao.

@Solipsist
What's there to even discuss, that's just poor writing and that's it. As a generic shounen fighting manhwa, the author is clearly not really good with romance, or any basic psychology even. Happens every time, for logic you should look into at least seinen (if manhwa even has it lol) or josei (the proper one like Nana, not yaoi shit).

As depressing as it would be for me to say that as an otaku, that's just stupid unrealistic comics for kids. Treat it as such unless it proves otherwise, which happens, but rarely.

Users who are viewing this thread