Hyouken no Majutsushi ga Sekai o Suberu

cus is it gold~~ or is manga mold~~ i reallllly wanna noooooo~~ pls pinnnng me owo~~

Double-page supporter
Over and over again. The same "secretly op" self-insert mary sue. The same generic magic high school setting. The same arrogant cartoon villains. The same copy pasted story. Just another power fantasy for losers to imagine showing up all the popular kids and getting all the girls. No creativity, no imagination, no ambition.

@Turkeyjerkey they're smart for exploiting this shit though. It doesn't matter how people will comment about how generic these stories are because people like reading secretly op inserts. They eat that shit up and I certainly do as well.

@Joobin814
I agree, even if they are just power fantasies, sometimes I just wanna feel like I could do anything, so these stories make me a bit confident or at least don’t make me have to think about bad things.
Plus a lot of people who read manga with fantasy settings are escapists anyways, so it feels like a nice escape.
Rant over.

Not bad. Certainly not a masterpiece as it plays off of many generic elements and pretty quick pacing (this is more based on personal preference, really). I look at it as an okay story to read in between other mangas. Sort of a one and done kind of deal.

Once this releases more chapters and given I come across it again, I'd give it another shot, but I'm not waiting on bated breath for the new chapters.

6.5/10

Dex-chan lover
I do not know if anyone agrees with me, but there needs to be more scenes of Ray bonding with folks with the power of his muscles. They are clearly the best scenes

Dex-chan lover
This manga's weird, cause it has a lot of heart and care put into it and the author clearly sees how enjoyable tropes can be when done well. But at the same time it falls into the exact same tired pitfalls that 90% of other generic, unremarkable manga/anime/others do even though the author should have seen them coming and worked around them (the perfect example being this dumb arc with a villain that could've been cool but is now wasted). The manga could turn around and get better a la Black Clover, but with 20 chapters already out and this arc being the result of weeks of build up, I don't see why the average legitimate reader should bother purchasing these to read when there are other works that do the whole OP protagonist/magic academy/friendship concepts better either individually or as a whole.

Not to say anyone who enjoys this manga is wrong to like it, I'm just lamenting the lost potential since I enjoyed the first few chapters

Double-page supporter
@Joobin814
@Pirate-Pierate

The thing about self-insert power fantasies is that they only work if you can allow yourself to be fooled. If you become to aware of what is actually happening, they will feel patronizing instead of empowering. As you read more stories and develop that awareness, your ability to enjoy them will diminish and eventually turn to irritation.
To me now, that empowering feeling only occurs if the author slips those moments into an otherwise developed plot and character. A blank slate over a copypasted background is no longer enough for me to effectively fool myself. If something is "too good to be true," i.e., a Mary Sue or a harem, it just feels patronizing.

Eventually, you will also tire of reading the same story beats, setting, and characters over and over. It's like finding a new song you love and listening to it again and again until you're sick of it. You will begin to crave and seek out originality. Plots that once did it for you won't anymore.

All of this is to say: by all means enjoy this story now, because eventually you will feel as I do. The scope of what appeals to you will narrow, although you will in turn begin to appreciate what's left more.

@Turkeyjerkey
Man, that's quite saddening, Since everything will lose its spark in due time some a mere second and some a Lifetime. Luckily foolishness is the specialty of Humankind we're fooled and fooled endlessly but there's always someone that could do something as great as what we see here(Magic off the table probs) It's why we love fantasy and foolishly(It's fun ^^) read and read it. What may have little to no spark in your eyes might still light an inferno in others and maybe... just maybe convinces them to do better albeit with slim chances some will continue to believe in this magical and mystical fiction and carry it onwards. I may be a fool by fooling myself but I want to at least enjoy it~ www

@Turkeyjerkey You're very much correct about that. If I try to actually pay attention the plot or whatever is happening, I easily realize that none of these stories actually make sense. It's difficult to objectively rate these stories well because you can't tell which one you're actually reading due to them all having the same plot. Although at first they may seem like shonen manga with good character development and arcs, you honestly have to consume them like you would a slice-of-life. I have to turn my brain off or else I can't seriously read them.

So I made the mistake of reading the reader comments the translator puts in at the end of each chapter, so now every time I read the word “magic,” I unconsciously replace it with “cum.”

I need to see a doctor...

So disappointed the tomboy teacher ended up being a villain, smh.

Dex-chan lover
@Bassspanker01 This is the funniest comment I've ever seen on this site, and I laughed like J Jonah Jameson. Thank you.

But yes, you should see a doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread