I cannot upload a new forum icon [Fixed]

Dex-chan lover
I get an error when I try to upload an image. I'm using an image that is at least 400x400 pixels

edit: The error message says "OOPS! WE RAN INTO SOME PROBLEMS. A server error occurred. Please try again later."
What type of avatar are you going for? a gif or an img? cause gifs are a pain in the ass to get to work as for static images ive never had a problem also just tested it out multiple times with both gifs and imgs and i didn't have any problems changing mine

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
What type of avatar are you going for? a gif or an img? cause gifs are a pain in the ass to get to work as for static images ive never had a problem also just tested it out multiple times with both gifs and imgs and i didn't have any problems changing mine
I believe this is a newer account issue, or at least it seems. All of my alts have no such issue, till I created a newer one for the purpose of testing this same issue a week ago.

It doesn't allow GIF, jpeg, or PNG as far as testing purposes go.

I know it's not an older account issue cause I just tested it out with one of my alts right now and hopped onto the alt I recently created, it only occurs on the newer. You should remain unaffected at least.
(Disclaimer: I tested it out with only 6 images and the same ones on each account. Currently, banners are not affected via this bug.)

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Tested in Firefox and Edge, .jpg/.png works fine but .gifs are failing because Xenforo is timing out when trying to process them.

Are any of you having issues with non-animated files? If so, how large is the image?

File Attacher
Staff
Super Moderator
Tested in Firefox and Edge, .jpg/.png works fine but .gifs are failing because Xenforo is timing out when trying to process them.

Are any of you having issues with non-animated files? If so, how large is the image?
I've only been trying jpg & pngs, with the ones i remember trying being:
200x150(jpg 5.69KB)
512x512(png 114KB)
1024x768(jpg 90.6KB)
2048x1536(png 928KB)

Edit: Tested a couple more (Although these ones only in my Main browser and not all the extra i did in my original post):
256x256(png 106KB)
256x256(png 23KB)
512x512(jpg 176KB)
800x540(png 149KB)
1920x1080(jpg 406KB)

And for good measure i tested the gif i used as an attachment test before: 150x150(11KB)

Last edited:

Yea I cant get it to work with non-animated files either

Dex-chan lover
I believe this is a newer account issue, or at least it seems. All of my alts have no such issue, till I created a newer one for the purpose of testing this same issue a week ago.

It doesn't allow GIF, jpeg, or PNG as far as testing purposes go.

I know it's not an older account issue cause I just tested it out with one of my alts right now and hopped onto the alt I recently created, it only occurs on the newer. You should remain unaffected at least.
(Disclaimer: I tested it out with only 6 images and the same ones on each account. Currently, banners are not affected via this bug.)

An enlightening experiment by Mangadex user Thepandas12 shows that it's an issue with newly created accounts.
So now we have a tangible difference between newbies and oldies...

Dex-chan lover
An enlightening experiment by Mangadex user Thepandas12 shows that it's an issue with newly created accounts.
Well my old fuddy duddy account can't change ICONS. So you will have to make do with the big boob elf shooter. Instead of my big boob elf archer. And a few more.

Dex-chan lover
I would describe newer when the bug came out, at least September 28th - Today. The bug started happening around that time as I noticed (I stalked the newest members before, to see/download new icons.) and it shows newer accounts (Newer, as by what I mean ~1 month.) though some older accounts are still affected by it.

I can test it out on some more alts, as I currently have 20+ alt accounts
(Why? Cause, friends + testing purposes) lol

I'll test to see if my early 2021 and 2022 accounts have such an issue, I don't think they do though.
I think it randomly affects users but more or less newly created accounts during such bug, you'll have to wait a bit longer to see if it'll be fixed. I am certainly not affected by this bug, I can still change my pfps.

(Edit: I just checked if any of my accounts have this issue, none of them do. I think it randomly affects older users though I am not too sure. Someone else can test it with their own accounts.)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I've had this account for 5 years. It's not just new accounts.

Dex-chan lover
I've had this account for 5 years. It's not just new accounts.
Same here. Over 5 years. What you see as my avatar carried over from V3 (pre-burn). Can't change since V5 and forums opened.

Dex-chan lover
Same here. Over 5 years. What you see as my avatar carried over from V3 (pre-burn). Can't change since V5 and forums opened.
Is it cause the file size is too big, or is it the icon too big? Sometimes, the icon won't be accepted due to file size. I've only had a problem with icons due to size and width differences, and V3 pfp requirements were different than now so that can explain it.

Dex-chan lover
Is it cause the file size is too big, or is it the icon too big? Sometimes, the icon won't be accepted due to file size. I've only had a problem with icons due to size and width differences, and V3 pfp requirements were different than now so that can explain it.
X, Y, Z and bit depth all are within board specs. V3 or V5 specs. There are differences between V3 and V5 specs. With some specs not spelled out in V5. My problem with V3 was the file length. Playing with X, Y got size down with gif frames deleted.

If I went with the 400x400 spec, the file would be excessively too long. In fact V5 fails to let me use a smaller ICON that worked with V3. I questioned about the missing V5 specs, never got an answer.

Dex-chan lover
X, Y, Z and bit depth all are within board specs. V3 or V5 specs. There are differences between V3 and V5 specs. With some specs not spelled out in V5. My problem with V3 was the file length. Playing with X, Y got size down with gif frames deleted.

If I went with the 400x400 spec, the file would be excessively too long. In fact V5 fails to let me use a smaller ICON that worked with V3. I questioned about the missing V5 specs, never got an answer.
I cannot give you much of an answer, as I was not very active back in the V3 days, but what I could guess is that it's due to file size?

Personally, I've never had a problem with file length, you don't really have to go with the 400x400, I usually use 256x256, and usually around 1950x1900+ and never had an issue, only sometimes.

I can personally see it being a file size issue, due to V3 having different requirements, some gifs like mine get rejected due to it being more than 1.3 MB, and static images can go up to 5MB or more (At least from testing idk) so yeah, I cannot really tell what the issue could be for you.

or maybe like you said, it's an XYZ issue, but I cannot really tell due to my brain lacking in knowledge about icons and other things.

Sorry for the non-clear answer though, cannot really provide a definitive answer to your problem.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think it's the size. I've tried everything I can think of, even going as small and simple as plain white 100 x 100 boxes that are only a couple hundred bytes and it still won't work.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think it's the size. I've tried everything I can think of, even going as small and simple as plain white 100 x 100 boxes that are only a couple hundred bytes and it still won't work.
Your issue is with the current bug I believe, I think you'll have to wait that out... he's been having this issue from before the bug as far I can see with the thread he made before. ^^"

I am not too sure if he does have the bug cause he clearly sticking to old V3 gifs which idk even work anymore. If he does, he might have to wait it out like you till it is fixed. Though, hope you can change your pfp soon as you clearly want it to.

Dex-chan lover
what worked consistently for me at least when it comes to gifs (ive never had a problem with static img) is to limit the amount of frames it has to 15-20 the file size and dimensions don't seem to matter to much now a days but I try to keep it as close to 1mb as possible since that used to be one of the requirements during v3

Unfortunately, suffer through the green S portrait for however long it takes them to fix this. It's been an issue with no solution for at least a month now.
Oh, it's really hard to endure. I'll have to put up with that green 'S' for a while longer:cry:

Dex-chan lover
It’s definitely not a new account only issue, my account is years old. I’ve tried multiple types of images and sizes, even 100x100px 40kb old Livejournal icons, on both my iPad and my PC and it still won’t allow a new icon. It’s server-side, definitely.

ii hope someone gets to this. I never would have tried to change my icon if I knew it was broken.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
Hello all. Turns out we had a permissions issue on the filesystem for avatars, meaning Xenforo wasn't allowed to create new avatar directories. And it likes grouping users in those directories. So users uploading an avatar could indeed be denied for no valid reason whatsoever...

Though it wasn't due to us stopping new users from uploading avatars, those were most likely to run into the issue indeed (since it happened to users uploading an avatar for the first time, basically).

Should now be fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread