I Love You, as a Friend - Vol. 2 Ch. 11 - Vice President

Group Leader
@randumbo Ends at 19? 19 what? I can't remember a time ever being referred to in such a fashion. When 24 hour time is being used, it would be "19:00" or "19:00 hours." It may be used like that in other languages, but this is English and English norms should be used.

Dex-chan lover
So fucking wholesome. I love this. Thank you author! Thank you translators!

@FredFriendly > "this is English and English norms should be used."

This is actually a very common debate among translators. And as someone who understands a good deal of Japanese, and done my own translations (though I'm not fluent in JPN), I don't think that this should be the case at all. Japanese is an entirely different language from English, and much is lost from keeping strict adherence to ENG. This is why many translators keep honorifics (san, chan, senpai, ect) and other common, untranslatable Japanese phrases. This isn't English, it's Japanese, and it can hurt the story to pretend like they are speaking ENG.

That said, I don't think there'd be a problem with expressing the time as 19:00. However, similarly, there's absolutely nothing wrong with expressing it as 19 either.

Dex-chan lover
@FredFriendly I mean it wasn't that hard to understand. Especially with all the context clues it couldn't really be anything but time. I had 0 issues whatsoever understanding that part.

Man. I loved this chapter, it even made me teary-eyed.

Sanako worked really hard to help those girls from the art club of her own volition even though she had nothing to gain from it, which follows up on her speech during the VP election - she did actually start to see other people as people.

Then she also correctly recognized when she's unable to help the two art club freshmen just by herself and asked the Prez for advice. And at the end, she made a strong impact to the art club, improving her reputation at school bit by bit.

Most importantly, she proved to herself how she can do things properly and be a productive and helpful member of society; self-worth is something she sorely lacks and she made tremendous progress on that front.

Great chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread