I Reincarnated as a Faint Hearted Countess - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - The Countess is Captured

Dex-chan lover
fucking knew it, he's gonna have some "very sad past story you should sympathize w/ him" bullshit.

Also, in chapter 1 she was going around decking people left and right, but now she just randomly got weak right when she's near the ML, how fucking convenient.

this story (mostly the ML) is so shit, such a waste of a good translation.

EDIT: also he finally knew about her mistreatment and didn't even try to apologize to her? Dropping this here is definitely the right choice.

Dex-chan lover
Peak shoujo fantasy not for me, gonna drop this one out

Dex-chan lover
Get the fuck away from there wife! Run away! Take Kano nd run!

fucking knew it, he's gonna have some "very sad past story you should sympathize w/ him" bullshit.
It's not even good for that. Both aspects, the first wife and his childhood, just make him look worse.

"My first wife spend money that was legally hers and I could not be bothered to pay attention to our finances" says more about him than her. Finally, after she was murdered he dares to see himself as the primary victim of the whole affair.

And then we have the whole "being the ruler means killing the competition" part. It would be sympathetic, if he wasn't actively perpetuating the system. It's like a slave owner crying about being a slave in his youth and how evil the system is while whipping his slaves.

Dex-chan lover
It's not even good for that. Both aspects, the first wife and his childhood, just make him look worse.

"My first wife spend money that was legally hers and I could not be bothered to pay attention to our finances" says more about him than her. Finally, after she was murdered he dares to see himself as the primary victim of the whole affair.

And then we have the whole "being the ruler means killing the competition" part. It would be sympathetic, if he wasn't actively perpetuating the system. It's like a slave owner crying about being a slave in his youth and how evil the system is while whipping his slaves.
you're very right, that's also why I call the thing whole "sob past story" bullshit! But hey, apparently someone did feel bad for him because of it lol XD

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for translations!

Cliche shoujo moments aside, this was a silly chapter with a bit more of back-and-forth banter between dumb and dumber.
However, considering how the story is spread across a number of chapters with apparent pacing issues, it'd be nice if we had the first to fifth chapter rolled into one somehow. Mostly because after looking at the comments above, I can't help but have a "Jackie Chan throws his hands up" moment here.

Dex-chan lover
Get the fuck away from there wife! Run away! Take Kano nd run!

it's a bunch of nonsensical bullshit for sure. I wouldn't read this story if I didn't like the art lol

Dex-chan lover
Really don't like how it feels like mangaka is trying to redeem the asshole and forcefully make him a love interest through tropes (he kabedon'd her, so they must be together now!!! etc.) rather than dynamic. And like others say, the attempts at redeeming backstory we have seen so far only makes him worse - the only good thing is that he didn't actively choose to let the servants do what they did, but that also means he didn't even bother to keep track of her and what they did to her.

Hey guess what, Heinz Doofenshmirtz had a terrible past too and he became a better father than anyone

Terrible writing, irredeemable character, L husband

Dex-chan lover
I like how they frame ML's distance from the FL as being "oh no poor me my previous wife was murdered", but in the flashback they don't show him legitimately loving/mourning his wife, she took advantage of him / had affairs, and when she got murdered he just had a comedic shocked expression while his aide goes "so THAT happened..." with anime sweat drops. If you wanna make me feel sympathetic for the ML's past as a reason for treating Ram like that at the start, you should make an effort to show him actually giving a damn about his previous wife before he got "twisted" into not caring, lmao. Just seems like he was the same in the past, too.

fwiw, I do think it's a bit different, because from the flashback implications, he seems to have changed the system from "murder all the other candidates competition" to "the candidates compete by going to school", which is undoubtedly more humane. So, more like a former slave becoming a CEO and then giving their workers absolutely shit conditions, but ultimately still leaving them the option of quitting rather than being actual slaves.

That's not to say I like the guy though, I still hate his character, and I don't think a competition-based succession is reason enough to ignore his kid like that.

Dex-chan lover
I'm guessing the next part will be the 'wow omg she's so pretty but she's still bully material right?' arc :smugnako:

Users who are viewing this thread