I, Who Detest Women, Have Been Transferred to an All-Girls School in Another World. - Ch. 7

Group Leader
@Draggador but, uh... if i do this
Screenshot-20201026-111727.png
. can we agree just to use it as a simple rewording and not an in-depth explanation?

@Draggador fear/dislike =/= hate
Even in the wiki it written: "Gynophobia should not be confused with misogyny, the hatred, contempt for and prejudice against women"

He's clearly not scared of women, he's misogynistic, not gynophobic. I promise you 99% of people would agree he's misogynistic, and would be confused by the use of gynophobic in its place. It's fine, and correct, as is.

@AbuHajaar Asanagi's guys not hating them on fundamental level that they can't even stomach being around one though. You can see that by the way that those guys tend to get... um... very intimate... with those girls.

Group Leader
@Draggador But I can't do that, as 女嫌い = women hater. If I do that, then it'll be re-write, not translation...
If you find the way the character act is contradicting what the text says, then it'll be the author's problems, not me.

Oh btw, from wikitionary
Screenshot-20201027-040715.png

@Draggador I think you misunderstanding Ideology as Personality. Saying misogyny is a personality is like saying misanthropy is a personality. On your point about misogyny is usually associate with dumb people, that just how time change the word we using to associate stuff, like how Nice Guy™ is a thing now.
Screw it my english is not good enough for this stuff.

@Draggador still dont get how the author is objectively wrong about a pretty arguable nuance in the meaning of 2 words in the english language. Granted, I'm not very learned when it comes to japanese, but it's quite clear from what we've all read that the connotation of the word 女嫌い isn't in the sense of a small dislike or fear of women as some of the literal translations of the kanji might suggest. tbf, at least the wikipedia page in japanese about misogyny, uses words that can be translated as “to hate“ or “to hold in contempt“ but not really going all elliot rodgers on wahmen.

On the other hand, though, apparently the nuance between misogyny(ミソジニー or 女性嫌悪) and gynophobia (女性恐怖症) is pretty marked in japanese. If you look at the terms' kanji, the latter's refer to fear and disease, while the former's refer to dislike and bad.

Is it really an issue? I don't think either the mangaka or the translator are being intentionally or unintentionally ignorant about it, and I doubt any of us are 100% fluent in japanese as to being able to explain the nuance in the first place.

On a sidenote, the author seems okay with it being translated as misogyny, but we all know most japanese people dont have an extensive knowledge of english lmao

Everything else aside, it's quite obvious that the protagonist suffers from one of the several varieties of PTSD.

Users who are viewing this thread