ib - instant bullet

Fed-Kun's army
@ikhwan26 For god sake you almost make me lose will to live lmao.
I read the raw, it's last year interview from when kaguya won the award. It more or less like the translation says. He want to do it but due to the distant age difference with the characters, even if he works on it again it will likely turn into different shape.

Dex-chan lover
@ikhwan26 I get where he's coming from. This definitely feels like the kind of rough-around-the-edges, chuuni but nonetheless sincere series one can only write when they have that certain mindset (*cough* Tsukihime). It would probably spoil the charm to try and make a direct sequel to it while trying to keep the same tone now.

Fed-Kun's army
Wow I had no idea this was made by the same Mangaka who is doing Kaguya. I only made it to chapter 6 a couple years ago, I barely remember what I read I just remember it being edgy so I dropped it. Still can't believe the Mangaka went from making this to something like Kaguya.

Dex-chan lover
I still love it....I ve finished it a few years ago but this manga is still my fav. Call it edgy all ya want. But most of the negative things in there is true.

Dex-chan lover
Yo @PantsMan thanks mate
I ve been searching for that title. I ve finish it before but i forgot the title. Imma read that masterpiece again.

Group Leader
okay this one. This one. out of the many many MANY manga I've read I'd say this is part of the top three I've read, and the best in terms of plot.
Granted, I've had a tendency to read more of romance, fluffy stuff, so my plot comment might not be the greatest-- but I've read a lot of stories, and one that has gripped me this much every single chapter and made me hold my breath while the site loaded to the next chapter has been nonexistent until now. I've read it a year or so ago and I still hold it in reverence.
15/10 would recommend. I laughed, cried, and jaw-dropped way too hard for a 20-something chapters-long manga. Kudos to the author, and horrible decision on the part of the publishers to axe this masterpiece.

Dex-chan lover
Story and twists are interesting, but man, these brats and their childish, edgy motives and wishes are just irritating. And their broken children's lives don't justify It at all. "My life fucked up, so everybody please die or at least somebody love me!" Is this really seinen? Totally feels like shounen manga. In afterword Aka said he hatched idea of manga when he was in high school and he wrote this in his early 20 or something? So that explains a lot. I bet Aka will never write continuation cause he outgrew such stuff. I don't think this manga is bad, I guess it's good, but turns out I'm just too old for it.

How the fuck does this have an 8.6? Jesus Christ I hate this manga. I kept reading 'cause I was waiting for it to become worthy of the rating and because honestly there were some pretty interesting unexpected plot twists, but at the end of it all, I have to ask... what the Hell was the point of any of it? What was the author trying to say? It's like there were so many twists and turns and contradictions, I couldn't get a firm grasp on what I was supposed to take away from this manga.

And it's just so goddamned edgy. It's so fucking emo I can't stand it even though I fully admit that I myself am pretty emo. It's too much. I got over-saturated. I cannot contain any more emo.

I know I came in kinda hot but it's not actually my intention to mock the people who like this. Judging by the stats, there's a lot of them. Clearly they're seeing something that I'm not. I'm just saying that I really, really don't get it.

@MushroomRetainer
1. Some people love emo edgy stuff. You are not one of them but surprisingly a lot of people do, including myself. It's fine if it's not for you, but for a lot of those who do like edgy stuff, this hit a lot of the right notes.
2. This had a lot of potential but was cancelled, the rating might have to do with the potential rather than the axed ending.

@keimichi

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, it got canned. I guess that kinda helps explain the ending a bit.

I mean, anyone who's been around anime fans for any length of time knows that a lot of them are into EDGE, but... I feel like I cut myself on this comic and bled to death and now I'm just a spirit haunting these comments.

Anyway thanks for the feedback.

I'm glad Im not the only on who doesn't like this, holy shit it is overrated. Aka can't write a fight scene worth a shit. Seriously, this would never have worked, you can't write battle manga without good battles. Not only that but it moved so fast that I stopped caring for all of the characters, it's especially bad when there is so much edge.

@MushroomRetainer I agree with you 100%. I think the edginess went overboard at some point. It just got tiring.

Group Leader
i do understand why some people hates this manga. The battle feels off, etc.

But the things is, some of them probably wouldn't know Akasaka Aka if Aka didn't makes Kaguya-sama. Yes, we probably still could know him to be the one that design I.A (Vocaloid). But i still understand their dissapointment. Because at some point i'd feel it too.

But, Kaguya-sama that we likes was made after bunch of trial-and-error from this. Tbh, as someone who find ib first instead Kaguya-sama, i was hate Akasaka when he decide to makes a Love Comedy, instead a deep personal story like this, or how he didn't makes the sequel of this. Turns out, after that Iino and Ishigami arc in Kaguya-sama, what i could see was Akasaka Aka found a sweet spot about his style of story. A deep feeling story with a good comedy. And that what i found in instant bullet.

i read an interview that Akasaka Aka takes, he said that instant bullet would be axed after the 3rd volume, but things went different and he got 5 volume instead. So i guess we know why his story was so rushed.

Well. I read it a few weeks ago and I figure I ought to give an objective rundown of this manga. Going off of what I remember most vividly.

Fucking hell. It's kooky.

There's a strong desire in the first third of the series to try and understand what exactly all these characters are supposed to do. Why they interact the way they do. In a world dripping with potential that got hamstrung by what appeared to be some rushed deadlines and only general ideas on how to develop the power scaling or something.

In the middle of the story, it's a fuckton of running around aimlessly into similar individuals with powers that amount to essentially padding out the cast with some unlikely allies.

Kuro's characterization and trauma is a big redeeming quality throughout the story. I liked how his powers manifested from some supremely edgy events that turned downright convoluted in the last third of the story. His development is nothing that hasn't been done before. And it's a character arc you can telegraph the punches of from the first issue.

The only points that help to contextualize the ending of the series without spoiling anything are as follows.
-Aka was being rushed to end a story he always had developing since before being a mangaka.
-His afterword lends people to believe he wants to come back to his magnum opus at a time when he can properly flesh out his setting and characters.

When that day comes, I hope to give his series another college try. But in short, we got an edgy and hamfisted plot/setting with an ending that subverts expectations in a way to leave the reader disappointed.

6 out of 10 overall

Users who are viewing this thread