Ichi the Witch

Contributor
Just my opinion on the title's translation the Office translates 魔男 as witch even if it specifically means "male witch" because Japanese has 魔女 meaning female witch as the common word for just witch. In English this differentation is hard to see. Is there a English word for male witch?, well "Warlock" could been fine choice but they didn't think so. Just my opinion.

Dex-chan lover
This seems like a really fun manga, I like it!
A fresher take than simply cast spell I R STRONK, rules, hurdles and limitations. Simple enough to understand and deep enough to become complex

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I think this is the first time I've seen a Weekly Shounen Jump manga on the Popular New Titles list.

Last edited:
Supporter
Unique story, fun characters, decent worldbuilding. This has promise.

Fed-Kun's army
praying this doesn't turn into The Hunters Guild: Red Hood situation
Still bummed about that one.
What an unfortunate outcome for such a good potential story.
I also hope this new manga won’t suffer the same fate.

Fed-Kun's army
Just my opinion on the title's translation the Office translates 魔男 as witch even if it specifically means "male witch" because Japanese has 魔女 meaning female witch as the common word for just witch. In English this differentation is hard to see. Is there a English word for male witch?, well "Warlock" could been fine choice but they didn't think so. Just my opinion.
Thinking in the context of the world in the manga itself, I don’t think the people even have a word like warlock in their vocabulary, but I do agree that it sounds cooler than “male witch” heh.

Contributor
Thinking in the context of the world in the manga itself, I don’t think the people even have a word like warlock in their vocabulary, but I do agree that it sounds cooler than “male witch” heh.
So far that word has only been used in the title, I think, so it's hard to know how much it will matter. It's the translator's pain to try to differentiate the two words when or if the matter becomes a problem. It's quite complicated to translate "new" words that don't have perfect equivalence in the other language. Well, it might just stay as a subtle thing that is lost in translation but it won't relly actually matter in the big picture and is just fun to know.

Fed-Kun's army
Iruma-kun author? No wonder I felt that unique comedic tone and the way they grasp the reader's attention

Dex-chan lover
There's already another series that uses witch to refer to males as well in the translation, and warlock in that series is a witch that loses their way and uses black magic.

Personally, I also view witch and warlock as separate and non-gendered terms too, but it's authors choice at the end of it all.
It's a little more complicated when you translate a gendered word to a language that no longer genders the terms, but it's probably best to just use the closest term for both.

Users who are viewing this thread