Ichigo 100%

Dex-chan lover
This is a classic, and the craftsmanship is good . . . but it's actually a pretty annoying story. Well, I don't like harems, to start with. But it didn't start off as a harem, it started off as a fairly sweet romance, and then started mixing in the usual crap--more girls, more tsundere stuff by the male lead so he could cause misunderstandings which gave shallow excuses for more plot twists. Not as annoying as Seo Kouji, but headed in that direction. Frankly I think it's a "classic" less because it's particularly awesome than because it came out at the right time and place for something like it to succeed. I suspect it would get lost in the shuffle if it were released today. I actually like "Anedoki" by the same mangaka much better because it brings the same skills but doesn't fuddle-duddle around as much.

Dex-chan lover
one of my 1st manga i ever read... those times, i don't even know what manga is nor how to use internet to watch anime...

So many years after I read it, I still hate the ending. It's amazing how quickly you can hate something you previously loved if the ending feels like a betrayal.

Its fine, I guess its a classic, I guess, at this point on the same vein as Love Hina, but I f*ing hate this series, the "plot" usually revolves around a girl of the volume showing up and she and the MC ALMOST hooking up but then backing down at the last minute because the plot demmands it.
And I really, REALLY hate the ending, it makes the rest of the series feel like a waste of time.

This story is a lot deeper than people give it credit for. Sure there is harem stuff and the usual delay or "misunderstanding" tactics to prolong the story, but there is an underlying movement forward the whole time. Without being too spolierish, the story uses the common trope of stringing along the readers focused on the two main characters hooking up. The thing is, they don't catch that trope is being used for misdirection and they also don't notice who the real "main girl" is and who the "distraction girl" is.
That's the magic of this story. It makes you think the girls are in certain roles the whole time while they were actually in the opposite roles. I urge anyone who read it thinking it is about one girl to read it again and see if you notice that it is actually about the other one...?

@Bladestone Reading too much into a very basic (albeit one of the first of its kind) manga. The ending is horrendous-the journey is fairly fun though.

Contributor
One of the first manga I've read, what a classic mmm...
I remember I had trouble sleeping for few days after reading the ending mmm...

This is the manga that really got me involved with manga. It is still one of my all time favorites.?

Read this around 2009 or 2010. It set my standards at a genre like this. I’ve read it a couple of times but the “feels” hit to me has a nostalgic feeling. I remember when i was a bit younger i want to jump on to this manga. Definitely classic and nostalgic

Group Leader
@Chromoz I don’t think so, the only thing related to a poll I could find was a comment on Reddit, I don’t know the Japanese side of things, though. I’m sure the girl was decided by the author as the story progressed.

So far this was the best shounen harem,drama,romance mangas I have ever read over the past 15+ years.
I'm just happy this was one of my first mangas in this genre.

Aggregator gang
@Chromoz no there was a huge uproar in japan and the author had to write an essay justifying her choice since it was so unpopular. A lot of people still think she is wrong and that the end is nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread