Ie ga Moete Jinsei Dou Demo Yoku Natta kara, Nokotta Nakenashi no Kin de Dark Elf no Dorei o Katta. - Vol. 1 Ch. 2.2 - Atie (2)

Dex-chan lover
Uh... um... Phew. Let's talk about this world setting and firearms in fantasy. And, although I'm a fan and get a semi when I see people with swords getting mowed down with machine gun fire, how this doesn't make much sense in the setting.

So let's recap:
1.) There's knights(?) with armor. If there is a peerage, that's also a bit of a problem seeing as how firearms are basically the cure to feudalism and tyranny. But, that aside, EVEN TODAY, a full set of armor that's quality made and custom fitted to you will set you back $20,000 easily. And it can even get more expensive depending on the armor. And that's today, with modern tooling and metal fabrication. It's still intensive and still requires a lot of work and craftsmanship. Quality swords and knives are the same way, they cost much more than people realize. Even today.
2.) They aren't limited to just muskets/flintlocks/matchlocks, but even have bolt-action rifles and revolvers. This is an issue, because that's a lot more machining and tolerances than most people realize. And that generally signifies self-contained cartridge use and more potent propellants like some kind of smokeless powder (then again, no one is going to call a .45-70 Govt. in black powder "weak" - especially if they're shot with it and somehow survive). And, while armor plating CAN be capable of defeating some bullets (in fact that's where we get the term "bulletproofing" from - armor makers would shoot their armor with a firearm and use the dent from the bullet as a "proof mark."), that's generally reserved for only round ball blackpowder firearms. So unless this armor is magically enhanced, it's useless against such firearms.
3.) Dude got taught by his father how to use a spear. Why learn a spear if you have access to firearms? Sure, firearms are more expensive, but they can also last hundreds of years if cared for and maintained, and are much easier to learn and use than melee weapons. And safer to use. If you're going to go into a labyrinth or dungeon to kill whatever horrific monsters are down there... would you want to be within a few feet of them to kill them with a sword/spear, or would you rather be dozens and dozens of yards away and just shoot them with a firearm? I know which is a better and safer option here.

Group Leader
"Pick your weapon! Sword, axe, dagger, hammer..."

"I want this one *picks up a high powered sniper rifle*"

L0DvJQv.jpeg

Dex-chan lover
And still there are commenters that think the low rating is just because people are triggered by slavery

Contrived plot conveniences, weird anachronisms, lack of internal consistency, cliches all over the place... tbh I'd have probably dropped it by now, too, if it wasn't for the (potentially unintentional) situational humor

"Cirque du slave" lmao, that got me

Cover page has her with arrows, good old fantasy setting. Wait one sec sniper rifles?!?

Do people understand why we don’t use bows and swords these days? It’s because guns are objectively better! That’s why they don’t belong in fantasy lol
For the weapons, yes. Guns are way better than arrows and swords.

However, a few years ago a single layer of half-proof armor was tested with pistols (which it was intended to protect against). Much to the historians' shock and confusion, it proved invulnerable to all handguns and required very close shots repeatedly in the same spot from some big handgun I don't remember to finally penetrate it. And this was one layer of what would have been multiple layers. They also admitted the bullet had lost enough energy that the layer under it would have stopped the bullet.

From this, they theorized that the full-proof armor, which was the norm for everyone, would be immune to modern small arms up to anti-material rifles. Full-proof was owned by basically everyone and was dirt cheap and quick to produce in a large scale by the time armor was ended and gun-lines became the norm.

This put history back to square one on trying to figure out why the armor wasn't used anymore. Personally, I think it's obvious. The historians were thinking from the perspective of saving as many lives as possible. War doesn't allow for that. War requires thinking in terms of putting yourself in the position to destroy your enemy more than he can destroy you. From that perspective, I think I know what happened: the metal and manpower that would have been used to produce armor was put into making cannons and cannonballs. Because cannons proved to be the primary factor in who won battles. Yes, far more men died. But preserving your soldiers' lives isn't nearly as important as winning.

I'm more shocked that it has a scope. You know how hard those things are to make?

Dex-chan lover
SNIPER ELF??? Let's freaking gooo....

Also, why did those two suddenly kissed out of nowhere? They both look confused.

Dex-chan lover
this chapter had 155 comments so i thought some crazy shit would hapen

Dex-chan lover
this chapter had 155 comments so i thought some crazy shit would hapen
no it's people going absolutely mild about there being guns.

they can suspend their disbelief about a fucking elf but OH NO THERE'S A GUN? AAAAH MY FANTASY IS RUINED. whiners, one and all. sometimes the setting doesn't need to be perfect, just shut up and enjoy the story

Users who are viewing this thread